View Full Version : Breach of wounded truce?

Rising Sun*
05-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Heard a radio documentary today about an incident in the Sumichon or Sumi Chon Valley where an Australian there said that after the battle the Chinese used their loudspeakers to offer a truce to collect the wounded.

The Australians accepted and collected their wounded, while also tending some Chinese wounded on the battlefield.

When the Chinese went in to collect their wounded and were, as he said, 'sitting ducks', another unit from another unspecified nation opened fire and inflicted much damage on the Chinese.

This resulted in predictable problems in future, although beforehand the Australian said that the Chinese had generally been honourable in their conduct in the war.

Anyone know who the nation / unit was who fired on the Chinese recovering their wounded under a wounded recovery truce; why they did it; and why they weren't tried for a war crime?

01-27-2010, 09:26 AM
The day will come when WW-3 will be caused by the escalation between these 2 countries that most people tend to forget about. We are all too interested in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but mark my words, the day will come when the latter is child play and the Korean war will re-open with a BANG!

SEOUL, South Korea - North and South Korea exchanged artillery fire along their disputed western sea border on Wednesday, an official said, escalating tensions on the divided peninsula.
North Korea fired about 30 rounds of land-based artillery from its coast, an officer at the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said.
South Korea, in response, immediately fired about 100 warning shots from a marine base on an island near the sea border, the officer said on condition of anonymity because of department policy.
He said no casualties or damage were immediately reported, and that the North's artillery fire landed in its waters while the South fired into the air.
Top presidential secretary Chung Chung-kil convened an emergency meeting of security-related officials on behalf of President Lee Myung-bak, who was making a state visit to India, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency. It said Lee was informed of the incident.
The exchange of fire came two days after the North designated two no-sail zones in the area through March 29 in a possible indication it may be preparing to conduct missile tests or other military exercises there. The zones include some South Korean-held waters.
In Washington, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters Tuesday that it was trying to determine precisely what might be behind the North's no-sail zone designation.
"In any kind of declaration like that we would encourage restraint on both sides," Crowley said before the exchange of fire.
The western sea border -- drawn by the American-led U.N. Command at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War -- is a constant source of tension between the two Koreas, with the North insisting the line be moved further south.
Navy ships of the two Koreas fought a brief gunbattle in November that left one North Korean sailor dead and three others wounded. They engaged in similar bloody skirmishes in 1999 and 2002.
The North has sent a series of mixed signals to the South recently.
It offered talks on restarting stalled joint-tour programs and a military dialogue on a joint industrial complex in the North earlier this month. The rival countries are scheduled to hold separate nonmilitary talks on the industrial park in the North Korean border town of Kaesong next week.
But the communist country also has escalated its rhetoric, with leader Kim Jong Il's all-powerful National Defence Commission threatening to attack the South and break off all dialogue over a reported South Korean contingency plan to handle turmoil in the North.
South Korean Defence Minister Kim Tae-young said last week that his military should launch a pre-emptive strike on North Korea if there was a clear indication that the country was preparing a nuclear attack. The North responded by threatening war.
The two Koreas are still technically at war because the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a formal peace treaty.