15 Astonishing World War 2 Photos That Bomb Your Senses

April 11th, 2009

As the saying goes “A picture is worth a thousand words” – I think I’d have to disagree. I think it tells you more than that. Maybe I am too much of a WW2 fanatic, but every time I look at those images, my mind starts to analyze every tiny detail in the picture.

Enjoy the pictures! They come with the official NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) descriptions. There are 15 in total. (Click pictures to zoom in.)

#1 – Over the Pyramids, Egypt

An Air Transport Command plane flies over the pyramids in Egypt.Loaded with urgent war supplies and materials, this plane is one of a fleet flying shipments from the U.S. across the Atlantic and the continent of Africa to strategic battle zones. 1943. Exact Date Shot Unknown.  (Army)

#2 Arriving in France on D-Day

Landing on the coast of France under heavy Nazi machine gun fire are these American soldiers, shown just as they left the ramp of a Coast Guard landing boat, June 6, 1944. CPhoM. Robert F. Sargent. (Coast Guard). The effect between clouds and dunes is extremely nice.

#3 Shell After Shell

American howitzers shell German forces retreating near Carentan, France. July 11, 1944. Franklin. (Army)

#4 Paratroopers Over Holland

Parachutes open overhead as waves of paratroops land in Holland during operations by the 1st Allied Airborne Army. September 1944. Exact Date Shot Unknown (Army)

#5 Noisy Mortar

“Getting across the Rhine wasn’t all there was to it. There was the little matter of establishing a beachhead. We threw our mortars at them and everything else we had untill they finally gave away.” 1945. Army. Exact Date Shot Unknown (OWI)

#6 Stay Low!

“I drew an assault boat to cross in – just my luck. We all tried to crawl under each other because the lead was flying around like hail.” Crossing the Rhine under enemy fire at St. Goar, March 1945. Army. Exact Date Shot Unknown (OWI)

#7 Air Bombing

“The first big raid by the 8th Air Force was on a Focke Wulf plant at Marienburg. Coming back, the Germans were up in full force and we lost at least 80 ships – 800 men, many of them pals.” 1943. Army Air Forces. Exact Date Shot Unknown (OWI)

#8 Running Into Uncertainty

Soldiers of the 55th Armored Infantry Battalion and tank of the 22nd Tank Battalion, move through smoke filled street. Wernberg, Germany. April 22, 1945. Pvt. Joseph Scrippens.  (Army)

#9 Spotting

Observer who spotted a machine gun nest finds its location on a map so they can send the information to artillery or mortars to wipe out the position.  Iwo Jima, February 1945.  Dreyfuss. Exact Date Shot Unknown (Marine Corps)

#10 Raising the Flag

Flag raising on Iwo Jima. February 23, 1945. Joe Rosenthal, Associated Press. (Navy) From the crest of Mount Suribachi, the Stars and Stripes wave in triumph over Iwo Jima after U.S. Marines had fought their way inch by inch up its steep lava-encrusted slopes.  Ca.  February 1945.

#11 Rockets

Corsair fighter looses its load of rocket projectiles on a run against a Jap stronghold on Okinawa. In the lower background is the smoke of battle as Marine units move in to follow up with a Sunday punch. Ca. June 1945. Lt. David D. Duncan. Exact Date Shot Unknown (Marine Corps)

#12 Dashing For His Life

A Marine dashes through Japanese machine gun fire while crossing a draw, called Death Valley by the men fighting there. Marines sustained more than 125 casualties in eight hours crossing this valley. Okinawa, May 10, 1945. Pvt. Bob Bailey.  (Marine Corps)

#13 Anti-aircraft Fire

Japanese night raiders are greeted with a lacework of anti-aircraft fire by the Marine defenders of Yontan airfield, on Okinawa.  In the foreground are Marine Corsair fighter planes of the “Hell’s Belles’ squadron. 1945. T.Sgt. Chorlest. Exact Date Shot Unknown (Marine Corps)

#14 Air Raid

USS ESSEX based TBMs and SB2Cs dropping bombs on Hokadate, Japan. July 1945. Exact Date Shot Unknown (Navy)

#15 Hundreds of Shells

Task Force 58 raid on Japan. 40mm guns firing aboard USS HORNET on 16 February 1945, as the carrier’s planes were raiding Tokyo. Note expended shells and ready-service ammunition at right. February 1945. Lt. Comdr. Charles Kerlee. (Navy) – Note the shells on ground.

Thank you for viewing. More photos at WW2 in Color.

Comments

1. Charles Said on April 12th, 2009 at 8:47 pm:

#14 would be bombing Hakodate, not Hokadate.

2. RoNnY Said on April 13th, 2009 at 1:33 am:

Nice collection of pictures.. i saved all of them.. thanks :)

3. Mihailo Kotarac Said on April 13th, 2009 at 6:18 am:

Wow!

4. Rich Dansereau Said on April 13th, 2009 at 8:21 am:

Simply amazing photos.

5. susie Said on April 13th, 2009 at 9:20 am:

Ominous – is the word that comes to mind, imagining what these men had felt at those exact moments. Great tribute to many of those that are forgotten on a daily basis.

6. Nelwyn Said on April 13th, 2009 at 9:32 am:

WOW!! Made me think of my Daddy, who fought in Europe, so of course I sat here and cried!! Such brave men!!

7. Tokyo Said on April 13th, 2009 at 9:46 am:

Fantastic pics indeed! A correction though for the NARA description of the second last pic, the place is HAKODATE not HOKADATE.

8. Tom Said on April 13th, 2009 at 10:17 am:

pretty amazing photos.

9. Ben Said on April 13th, 2009 at 1:41 pm:

Amazing photos!!!! I really appreciate seeing these in hi-res, as I’m a Marine veteran. Brings war closer to people, you know?

10. Ariel Voskov Said on April 13th, 2009 at 2:15 pm:

awesome photos

11. ROBERT ESTEVA Said on April 13th, 2009 at 2:52 pm:

Just a small glimpse of why they were called “The Greatest Generation”

I wish our country today believed in what they did!

God Bless Our Fighting Men and Women.

12. Jose Said on April 13th, 2009 at 4:52 pm:

Awww the things we forget from our great history. Will the war on terror ever test us as much as we are capable? Looking at these photos reminds us of American ingenuity and our determination to win no matter what. Recession or not, these colors do not run and these photos cannot be denied.

13. tom Said on April 13th, 2009 at 5:20 pm:

Great collection of WW2 photos…

However, I notice a derogatory remark in picture 11.

“…Jap stronghold on Okinawa.”

It’d be nice to change Jap to Japanese.

14. Japanese Man Said on April 13th, 2009 at 5:37 pm:

“Jap stronghold” – really?

15. Chris Said on April 13th, 2009 at 6:38 pm:

Unreal, thanks for these.

16. Brim Said on April 13th, 2009 at 6:45 pm:

The date for #4 would be 17Sep44.

17. Ismael Said on April 13th, 2009 at 8:57 pm:

Wonderful photos. They do a very good job of catching some of what being in the war must have been like. Would greatly appreciate some more!

18. FOTWMedia Said on April 13th, 2009 at 9:53 pm:

amazing pictures! thanks!

19. abhishek Said on April 14th, 2009 at 12:00 am:

excellent and amazing photos!!! gr8 collection!

20. Pawe? Szaw?owski Said on April 14th, 2009 at 4:51 am:

These superb shots have been selected with the utmost care to illustrate the war effort.

21. Whoa Said on April 14th, 2009 at 6:37 am:

Id have to say my favorite is #13, that’s a lot of bullets filling the air. I can tell that those are the smoke trails but man that’s still alot.

22. Ed Said on April 14th, 2009 at 8:50 am:

These are some great photos – really put things into perspective. Would have liked to see something from the home front – maybe women in the UK or USA working on the ammo as there were some really iconic shots there too. It wasn’t all about the boys blowing stuff up. There’s some new-age feminism for you! Great collection though, many thanks for sharing.

23. Irv Said on April 14th, 2009 at 10:21 am:

What a phenomenal collection of photos. I was just going about my day when I stumbled across these pics. Gave me goosebumps, and made me grateful for the “boring” day I was just grumbling about. Thank you.

24. Steve Said on April 14th, 2009 at 11:06 am:

When the pictures are from a time period with such atrocities, many of which were carried out by the Japanese, Jap works just fine.

25. John Biggers Said on April 14th, 2009 at 11:56 am:

We don’t have to be apologetic about calling Japanese who straved and tortured our men,then they were Japs.

26. Jon Kolbe Said on April 14th, 2009 at 12:20 pm:

#8 Running Into Uncertainty – WOW. Terrifying.

27. David Said on April 14th, 2009 at 1:57 pm:

I think historical accuracy should trump sensitivity in this case. “Jap” is what the defenders of America called the enemy. Were they bad people for doing so? If not, you should leave it alone.

28. Ed Betts Said on April 14th, 2009 at 8:30 pm:

It was “a Jap stronghold on Okinawa” not a Japanese Tea party of welcome. Times have changed but the tears still come for those we can never forget.

29. JACK Said on April 14th, 2009 at 8:55 pm:

I AM FULL OF “G O O S E B U M P S”

30. Harold Thornton Said on April 16th, 2009 at 4:38 pm:

Tom, when that photo was made they were JAPS;. They didn’t become Japanese until the PC police arrived in the late 60′s.

31. Jessie Said on April 17th, 2009 at 10:05 am:

Black and White is very appropriate. WWII Soldiers had a lucent path to a righteous end. An enemy nation(s) with distinct boarders and unique millitary insignia using traditional tactics attacked us and were clearly defeated to unequivocal surrender. Very few Americans knew any Germans or Japanese people. Nothing is that black and white anymore.

32. ian handley Said on April 19th, 2009 at 9:01 am:

I have about 30 world war 2 original photos where would i get them valued at ?

33. JAFFA Said on April 19th, 2009 at 5:05 pm:

Nice pics – but surely these are ALL US-centric? ‘American’ should be added to the list title ….

34. Benjamin Button Said on April 19th, 2009 at 7:41 pm:

These are true americans

35. Beefy Said on April 19th, 2009 at 8:41 pm:

Excellent pictures. Very interesting.

36. Ray Said on April 19th, 2009 at 10:28 pm:

Yes they were America’s greatest generation. They were tested more than any other and they met the test.

37. luc Said on April 19th, 2009 at 11:24 pm:

picture 6 looks so high def for a wwII picture, nice ones though

38. John Said on April 20th, 2009 at 1:29 am:

Keep in mind that the Japanese nearly “required” the US to apologize for the usage of nuclear weapons which ended the war in its entirety; while the Japanese have never thought of apologizing for anything they have bestowed to the Americans, ie. The Bataan Death March.

39. Stephen Said on April 20th, 2009 at 5:48 am:

Picture #4:

If it’s really the 1st Airborn Division then the date of the picture must be September 17th 1944. That was the day Operation Market Garden started and the 1st where parachuted over Holland…

40. FreddyF Said on April 20th, 2009 at 7:31 am:

Don’t change the remark in picture 11, they were called japs back then and the picture is from that era, no need to be politically correct now.

41. Capt. Said on April 20th, 2009 at 9:13 am:

Amazing…I had 7 uncles fight in this war, it still amazes me the scale of the fighting and the incredible courage it took for these men to muster…

42. Dimmy Said on April 20th, 2009 at 2:24 pm:

I will be 80 in June 2009. I was 10 years old when Hitler invaded Poland.I remember many of these incidents. Great Photograpy.

43. Roger, UK Said on April 20th, 2009 at 3:02 pm:

American servicemen did a wonderfull job, they were not alone however…

44. Cindy Said on April 20th, 2009 at 4:08 pm:

Great photos-will be forwarding them to some friends with parents that served in WW II

45. henry randall Said on April 20th, 2009 at 9:17 pm:

Awesome men! I aspire to their courage and determination. I thank them for a job well done.

46. Faelan Said on April 20th, 2009 at 10:25 pm:

Beautiful. I appreciate everything these men and others have done for us.

47. heitz13 Said on April 20th, 2009 at 11:28 pm:

If you would like to be technical about it, it was called “nippon” before we entered the scene.

48. bigAL Said on April 21st, 2009 at 1:12 am:

We’re such horrible creatures.

49. Tracy Said on April 21st, 2009 at 1:53 am:

These are heart breaking but amazing! My Grandpa was a soldier and I know he would appreciate these photos being displayed for our generation to see. Thank You for sharing these with everyone.

50. Chris Negado Said on April 21st, 2009 at 7:39 am:

Today Japan is one of our staunchest allies and strongest trading partners.

These pics are posted in the here and now not in 1940′s America.

For over 50 years Japan has been faithful to a constitution written by an American (Doug MacArthur).

They were our enemy but today deserve our respect.

51. Ken Said on April 21st, 2009 at 9:54 am:

why does one of the guys in number 3 look like tom hanks?

52. James Coberly Said on April 21st, 2009 at 11:13 am:

These are absolutely awesome! I’ve never seen most of them before. VERY COOL!

53. penfold Said on April 21st, 2009 at 4:48 pm:

#12 is a sublime photo, really special, thanks for the hookup.

(incidentally, in Japan westerners are still called Gaijin – outsiders. When I was there it bothered me, language and perception are very close brothers. It’s not 1945 anymore, I understand the reasons for using the word ‘Jap’ but there are those it will offend and there is no good reason to do so, Japanese would be kinder.)

54. BillinDetroit Said on April 21st, 2009 at 7:57 pm:

My Dad fought the Germans in Germany (Army) and the Japanese on their own soil (Air Force).

Derogatory remarks were the last thing on his mind. His intention was to kill them.

To tell the truth, though, I wish these photos did not exist because I wish the war had not happened. Since it did, it is well to be reminded of it. The Marines got their butts handed to them before taking Suribachi. That’s a lot of good men dead for a tiny piece of real-estate.

In war, the good finance the dreams of the evil.

55. Dude really Said on April 22nd, 2009 at 3:13 am:

Really? People are going to argue that ‘Jap’ is OK because it’s from a time period when it was ok to say it?

First of all, ‘jap’ isn’t just a regular term for Japanese, it was used very derogatorily towards Japanese people, who lost the war 60+ years ago so we can move on from hating on them the way they’ve moved on from their Axis days. It’s not a PC thing (and trust me, fuck PC people), it’s a racism thing.

Secondly, if you saw a picture of a bunch of slaves from the 19th century and labeled it “A group of niggers…” would that be any better? Derogatory term? Check. Accepted use back then? Check. Not politically correct? Check.

Just putting it out there. Great pics though.

56. James K Said on April 22nd, 2009 at 9:43 am:

My father was on Iwo…doesn’t talk about that one or Guadalcanal much….everything else he’s told many, many times, like Saipan, etc… Not those two battles, though.

57. Nathan Barley Said on April 22nd, 2009 at 10:18 am:

Nice pics, the list really should include ‘American’ though as the US did not actually enter the war until December 1941 and the images are entirely US-centric. I was slightly dissapointed there was nothing that included Britain but is, in a way, nice to see a totally different angle from what I am used to.

‘Jap’ or ‘Japanese’, everyone relax and enjoy the pics as it’s not really important. I really like #2, I can’t begin to imagine what they must’ve been thinking.

58. Pirate Pete Said on April 22nd, 2009 at 10:56 pm:

If you’re going to call the Japanese “Japs”, you should also call the Americans “Yanks” to even it up.

“History is only written by the victors”

59. Mahmood Malik Said on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:01 pm:

Wonderful work of brave photographers with brave soldiers.

60. Mark Lopiccola Said on April 24th, 2009 at 9:36 pm:

Great Stuff! I use your photos for many of my plastic model builds.

Thanks
    Mark L.

61. Scott Said on April 25th, 2009 at 4:49 pm:

Simply amazing images…war brings out the best and worst in humanity.

62. Henry Said on April 25th, 2009 at 6:47 pm:

Astonishing photos! Especially the ones from Omaha Beach and Okinawa.

It’s really fantastic to hear that the people from this era has been labeled “the great generation”. There are many things I like about the US (such as your inventions, music, movies, cities, etc), but what I adore the most is the tremendous respect you show your servicemen (ie. Chance Phelps, Randall Shughart, Gary Gordon, Alvin York, Frank Luke, Audie Murphy, Lafayette Pool, Richard Winters, etc).

RIP to all of the dead from the 2nd world war. Especially all the soldiers from the allied nations.

“When you get home, tell them of us and say; for their tomorrow, we gave our today” (from the Kohima Memorial, India).

Best wishes from Norway.

63. Adaid SEO Said on April 25th, 2009 at 7:25 pm:

Are these photoshopped at all? If not, that is remarkable.++

64. scott trainor Said on April 26th, 2009 at 7:04 pm:

At this very moment i have never been more proud to be an American!!! Thank you to all the brave men who served!

65. jade morris Said on April 27th, 2009 at 9:49 am:

these where shit pictures:(

66. Chuck Said on April 27th, 2009 at 1:25 pm:

Why does this list have to be clarified as ‘American’? The title does not say anything about where they were shot, or of whom. They are simply “15 astonishing WW2 photos that bomb your senses” regardless of country of origin.

Seriously, people. try coming up up with something worthwhile to complain about.

67. touseef khan Said on April 28th, 2009 at 1:18 pm:

Amazing photography,very good picture,ha, very good.

68. Marc Gilfry Said on April 28th, 2009 at 10:59 pm:

I just want to say that this “Comments” posting is perhaps the most interesting one I’ve ever read through. So many interesting opinions, such an array of cultures are alive and present within it. It was almost more interesting and telling of Humanity today as the pictures were telling of Humanity in the WWII era.

In my opinion, everyone should read through it.

69. bethany Said on April 30th, 2009 at 4:26 am:

IT WAS FAB I LOOKED AT IT AT SCHOOL AND ITS SOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. imi Said on May 7th, 2009 at 10:18 am:

very nice photos congratulations,the best ww2 site in the net
    regards
    imi

71. Mick Said on May 14th, 2009 at 4:16 am:

Shouldn’t these photographs be renamed 15 ‘American’ World War 2 Photos That Bomb Your Senses ?

72. Adnan Said on May 18th, 2009 at 8:45 pm:

I thing Human should learn these pics & should not repeat it.

73. Muhammad Javed Said on May 18th, 2009 at 10:41 pm:

i like that very much

74. bob Said on May 23rd, 2009 at 4:35 am:

For all you who’s defense to using the term “japs” is that it is appropriate to the time era, seems a little iffy. If there was a picture of slaves from the 1800′s would it be ok to call them niggers? War is an unforunate accourance reinforcing derogitory terms only allows for more hate. Lets be respectful not only to the fallen of the U.S. but the fallen of the world. We where all created in God’s image, and if we cannot forgive, we do not deserve to be forgiven ourselves. I am sure most of the “greatest generation” would agree with me.

75. Gazzy Said on May 24th, 2009 at 11:49 am:

How is “Jap” derogatory? this is the kind of thing our masters want us to do, ban all kind of expression and freedom of speech and be completely PC and by the time people wake up and realise theres like thousands of things were phohibited from saying or thinking there will be nothing else left to say.

Nice photos btw thanks for sharing

76. James Said on June 13th, 2009 at 9:46 pm:

Great photos – thanks for posting them.

77. nida Said on June 22nd, 2009 at 6:02 am:

wow!!!

78. Mike Said on June 24th, 2009 at 3:45 am:

Wow that is amazing! Not photoshopped!

79. charles Said on July 10th, 2009 at 11:14 am:

The picture of the paratroopers dropping over Holland was likely taken on September 17th 1944 during an operation called Market Garden. The paratroopers were part of the 1st Allied Airborne Army, and the airborne forces involved in this drop were the US 101st and 82nd Airborne divisions, the British 1st Airborne division, and a brigade of Polish airborne troops.

The Army and Navy combat photographers who took these photos were amazing people who carried cameras instead of guns into combat.

80. Madrabbit Said on July 30th, 2009 at 1:46 pm:

These are historical photos … not photoshopped.

Also, it is important that historical documents reference the language used during the time of the events. We cannot sanitize history, and these examples are important to understanding what modern cultural sensitivity means.

For example, the Germans in WWII used to call the British Sherman tanks “Tommy Cookers”, because they would catch fire so easily. As a modern society, we would not use those terms today, but it is a part of the historical record that should be preserved so that future generations can understand how people expressed themselves during that time.

Historical racial terms are not pretty, but if they are removed from our history, how will we learn about not using them again?

81. jamshaid Said on August 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 pm:

lovely picture its amazing pict

82. Ali javed naqvi Said on August 25th, 2009 at 7:25 am:

Nice and Amazing Photos.

83. Jonah Said on August 31st, 2009 at 6:40 pm:

#’s 2, 4, & 6 are amazing. It’s sincerely remarkable to think of the groundbreaking things that happened during this time and the horrible events of war that we should never forget.

Truly a time of courage, honor, sacrifice, and service to the country, and more importantly, the people of that country.

84. stamatis tripos Said on September 2nd, 2009 at 8:09 am:

I could not say God bless our Fighting Men and Women,but
    please forgive and have pitie on them and there opponents

85. Iron Rao Said on September 15th, 2009 at 11:13 pm:

Shame on all of above people who were apraising these pictures. I am sure that none of the above faced the real war. Sham on America as well. What they consider heroic is actually slaughter of humanity and mankind.

86. wilfred Said on September 22nd, 2009 at 12:13 pm:

absolutely amazing pics!

87. Sonia Katzenberg Said on October 1st, 2009 at 12:42 am:

My students and I are studying war poetry. These astounding photographs have brought the reality much closer to home, and thus had great impact. Thank you for the possibility, and honour to those on both sides, who fought and lost their lives… or the quality thereof.

88. frank mamman Said on October 3rd, 2009 at 9:05 am:

great job.living a proof behind for the next million generation to come.R.I.P to the lost souls during this dreadful war.

89. Matt Brown Said on October 9th, 2009 at 12:04 am:

My Grandfather was a gunner on the U.S.S. Hornet during WWII. I can’t wait to show him this picture.

90. ray Said on October 11th, 2009 at 10:27 pm:

as an xinfantry soilder no matter what happens all that training goes out the door as for the jap stronghold yeah they were japs no questions asked.

91. Bob Said on October 14th, 2009 at 9:07 am:

Photoshopped … ? .. are you for real.

92. DaddywasaPathfinder Said on October 26th, 2009 at 2:42 pm:

“Jap” offends these dopes? Unbelievable. Maybe when you post the shots of the Bataan Death March, or of American fliers being beheaded by Jap officers in the South Pacific they’ll stop being so PC?

Guaranteed these are the same naive wimps who proclaim Islam to be the “Religion of Peace”.

God Bless our service men and women of all eras.

93. Mark Z. Said on November 10th, 2009 at 12:09 pm:

Truly, the greatest generation. It amazes me to this day that many people don’t realize that if the axis powers would have won the war, many, if not all of us looking at these photos would not be here today to enjoy the life we do….it truly would have been hell on earth. For this reason, Veterans Day and Memorial Day, to me, are more meaningful than any other holiday. If it weren’t for these brave men and women, there would be no holidays and there sure as hell wouldn’t be free speech. All we have, we owe to them. Mark

94. annyonomus Said on December 9th, 2009 at 12:06 pm:

wow…. the pictures are so well taken and they really bring out the great photography with black and white. This pictures really do bomb your senses

95. dylan spillane Said on December 17th, 2009 at 2:21 pm:

all those pics are class my faveourite pic is the americans rasing the flag in iwo

96. Gary F. Said on December 23rd, 2009 at 1:10 am:

I have never fought in any war. I have never felt what soldiers feel in battle. I don’t know what it is really like to go through this.

I do know that these pictures really help me and others to understand just part of what this must be like. Thanks for sharing them.

I am glad the person that created this site has decided to leave the word “Jap” exactly as it is. I am a “Brit” and proud of it.

Gary

97. Sandy Said on January 6th, 2010 at 4:24 pm:

How many photos are there at ww2incolor nowadays? The site used to display counts, but not anymore…

I’m still wondering if the site is still the largest on the web!?

98. joel Said on January 15th, 2010 at 4:22 pm:

thanx to the men who sacrificed their lives so the youth of today can enjoy a bit a freedom. just a pity most kids i talk to know nothing about the war and would certainly not fill the boots of people like my grandfather and what he went through.anyway superb photos, it amazes me these men were probably teenagers. joel

99. Some Guy Said on January 22nd, 2010 at 2:25 pm:

They are really nice photos of WW2, very spiffy!

100. shoaib Majeed Said on March 14th, 2010 at 12:28 am:

#12 is showing true patriotsm…………great pic

101. Melanie Said on April 13th, 2010 at 9:56 pm:

Hi, Im interested to hear from anyone who might know Olis Williams who served in world war 2 & came to Brisbane QLD Australia for R&R.

102. Kaila Said on May 15th, 2010 at 9:16 am:

there is every need to be politically correct now. I do believe those men fought for a better world not one in which ignorance was continued. If you took that mentality to everything why not just call black people the n word because that’s what they USED to be called. We don’t use words like that anymore BECAUSE they were used in the past and what they have done and how they affect people. Just because people thought it was ok back then certainly does not make it ok now. the word jap is not historically relevant, and does not add anything to the photo. Japanese would suffice and would be far more accurate.

103. shaz Said on May 20th, 2010 at 5:54 am:

wow…superb pics. Took me to the world war days.

104. The Sanity Inspector Said on May 20th, 2010 at 7:41 pm:

The men who saved civilization… A neighbor down the street from me for many years was a veteran of the Pacific war; he served a Long Tom artillery piece. It drove him stone deaf.

105. john Gordon Said on May 26th, 2010 at 6:42 am:

WHOA THIS IS ONE GOOD SIGHT UP THE OOOSA

106. Kaila Said on May 28th, 2010 at 11:50 pm:

Last time i checked the men in these photos were fighting against hatred. To use the word ‘Jap’ today completely goes against what these men were fighting for.

107. Karl Said on June 8th, 2010 at 11:15 am:

Iron Rao,,the photos are a visual document of history just like words in a book,,youre comments and view’s are similar to the views held in 1930′s germany,,, mindless

108. Debi Said on June 25th, 2010 at 9:42 pm:

I would like more information about picture #13 as I have my grandfathers photo album and this picture is in it. I beleived he had taken it but know little about him or the pictures in the album. Please contact me. Thank You. Debi

109. Randy Sanders Said on July 12th, 2010 at 4:27 pm:

Who do we speak to for permission to use some fotos on promotional material informing veterans of their benefits? Thank You, Randy Sanders Field Service Officer, VFW (951) 926-6555

110. Eduardo Said on July 16th, 2010 at 5:09 pm:

#4 & #11 excellents pics, great resolution, love the history.

111. admin Said on September 22nd, 2010 at 8:43 am:

Please follow the contact link at the top of the page.

112. Spencer Thompson Said on November 18th, 2010 at 10:38 am:

My Grandpa served in WWII. He was based in Holland. If any one knows the name Gordon Lester Thompson please reply.

113. Bosshart Adolf Said on January 20th, 2011 at 10:37 am:

I allways admire and do not forget that this men gave
    their lifes for our freedom.

114. Lazzaro Said on March 10th, 2011 at 2:44 pm:

Excellent collection of photographs. I only wish there were more of these hi-rez photos posted.

Ignore the complaints about language. It was the vernacular of the day. History should not be sanitized.

I just ran across your collection while searching for photos related to the March 9~10, 1945 firebombing of Tokyo. My interest in that subject? My wife’s mother, a lovely lady, survived that inferno to become a refugee for the next 15 months. The term ‘jap’ used here in the context of the war years is perfectly appropriate, yank. Or kraut, or limey, or…

115. lucy chadwick Said on June 5th, 2011 at 5:41 pm:

this is hottt.

116. Doug Newberry Said on September 11th, 2011 at 2:05 pm:

I see nothing wrong with calling the Japanese “Japs”, or “Nips”. As I write this I am proudly wearing a necklace with a gold pendant made from “Jap” teeth that my dad liberated from the mouths of enemy soldiers who no longer needed them.

117. Arnold Mackey Said on October 30th, 2011 at 11:43 am:

The courage of fighting men in War and their Equipment is astounding and must be Respected!

118. Random Dude Said on January 25th, 2012 at 12:15 pm: