Thread: PPSh-41 Submachine Gun in Use by Germans

Default PPSh-41 Submachine Gun in Use by Germans

I have noticed twice in some documentaries, that the Russian PPSh-41 Submachine Gun is carried by German soldiers in combat fotage, can anyone comment on this?

Default Re: PPSh-41 Submachine Gun in Use by Germans

Quote Originally Posted by freyir_33 View Post
    I have noticed twice in some documentaries, that the Russian PPSh-41 Submachine Gun is carried by German soldiers in combat fotage, can anyone comment on this?
    They did.

PPSh-41.jpgPPSh-41_2.jpg
    "I just ran out of ammo. I will ram this one. Good bye, we'll meet in Valhalla." - Major Heinrich Ehrler, April 4, 1945

Thanks, excellent photoes, I found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

The captured PPSh was in particular a favorite weapon of the Germans. Because of the similarities between the 7.62x25mm Tokarev and the 7.63x25mm Mauser cartridge used in the Mauser C96 pistol, the PPsh was easily supplied with ammunition. In fact so many were captured that it became the second-most-common submachinegun used by German forces. Also, attempts were made to convert the weapon to 9mm Parabellum to conform to German logistics. The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the MP41(r); unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r). German-language manuals for the use of captured PPShs were printed and distributed in the Wehrmacht. [7]

During the war the PPS, an even more simplified submachine gun, was introduced in Soviet service, although it did not replace the PPSh-41 during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrowerguy View Post
    They did.
    A lot!

Last edited by kamehouse; 03-09-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Wrong weapon in picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kamehouse View Post
    A lot!
    This one's not a PPSh-41, its a German made Erma EMP.35

Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    This one's not a PPSh-41, its a German made Erma EMP.35
    it is ,isn'it?I wasn't 100% sure with all the vegetation around.
    Thanks for pointing it out.
    I took it out to avoid any more confusion1

There seems to be an awful lot of footage and photos of Red Army soldiers toting MP-40s...

Aside from the ammo being interchangeable W/ the Mauser pistol,(although the Soviet load was hotter) the PPSH was a good reliable weapon in the mud, crud, and cold of the Russian front. The 72 rd. drum magazine alone was reason enough to carry one.
    Its typical of most Soviet designs of that time, not pretty, not complicated, not prone to screwing up in the worst conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by freyir_33 View Post
    Also, attempts were made to convert the weapon to 9mm Parabellum to conform to German logistics. The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the MP41(r); unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r).
    "MP41" is a frequently used wrong designation for the converted PPSh-41. The original German MP41 was produced by Haenel, I read that it was basically a mixture between the MP28 and the MP40.
    About 10000 PPSh-41 were converted to 9mm caliber.

717r.jpg
    Fragment of a converted PPSh-41. You'd barely see a difference of course - maybe by the mounting for the clip.
    "I just ran out of ammo. I will ram this one. Good bye, we'll meet in Valhalla." - Major Heinrich Ehrler, April 4, 1945

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    There seems to be an awful lot of footage and photos of Red Army soldiers toting MP-40s...
    Yup, I suspect there was a shortage of automatic weapons available to both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrowerguy View Post
    Fragment of a converted PPSh-41. You'd barely see a difference of course - maybe by the mounting for the clip.
    1884 electric cartridge. Look similar to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Stoat View Post
    Thankie! It's not decent to pick on non-native English speakers' lack of linguistic abilities though.

Thank Tv, and the movies for the clip/magazine confusion. well, mostly anyway. Lazy or unknowing writers,trying to fit dialog into fast playing scenes, and stories, magazine is too much a mouthful, or thought to be too technical for the audience, so they opt for the short easy word. then the public passes it along until all meaning is lost.I still wonder why a periodic publication may be called a magazine, but Sardines still come in a "can"....
    Last edited by tankgeezer; 03-12-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Thread Information