Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Revisionism: Latest episode

Default Japanese Revisionism: Latest episode

Japan not WWII aggressor, says air force chief
    Posted Sat Nov 1, 2008 12:25am AEDT

Japan's air force chief has released an essay saying that the nation was not the aggressor in World War II, in comments likely to anger Asian neighbours.

The essay was authored by General Toshio Tamogami, chief of staff of Japan's Air Self-Defence Force, and won the top award in an inaugural contest aimed at describing "true views of modern history."

"Even now, there are many people who think that our country's 'aggression' caused unbearable suffering to the countries of Asia during the Greater East Asia War," said the English-language version of the essay.

"But we need to realise that many Asian countries take a positive view of the Greater East Asia War," it said.

"In Thailand, Burma, India, Singapore, and Indonesia, the Japan that fought the Greater East Asia War is held in high esteem," it said.

"It is certainly a false accusation to say that our country was an aggressor nation."

The Greater East Asia War was a term used by Japan to describe the conflict in the Asia-Pacific theatre, emphasising that it involved Asian nations seeking independence from the Western powers.

The essay, entitled "Was Japan an Aggressor Nation?," was posted on the website of a Japanese hotel chain which organised the contest.

Mr Tamogami argued that Japan was drawn into World War II by then US president Franklin D Roosevelt, whom he said was being manipulated by the Comintern.

Mr Tamogami also rejected the verdicts of an Allied tribunal which convicted Japanese wartime leaders as war criminals after Tokyo's defeat in 1945.

The thesis also runs counter to a 1995 statement issued by then prime minister Tomiichi Murayama and endorsed by his successors, which apologised for Japan's past aggression and colonial rule in Asia.

The statement acknowledged that Japan, through its colonial rule and aggression, "caused tremendous damage and suffering to the people of many countries, particularly to those of Asian nations."

But there has been a persistent nationalistic argument in Japan that the Murayama statement was part of the country's "masochism" aimed at accommodating Asian neighbours.

Japan renounced the right to wage war after World War II and calls its de facto military the Self-Defence Forces.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...01/2407454.htm

If Japan wasn't the aggressor in WWII, I'd hate to see what would have happened if it was.

Default Re: Japanese Revisionism: Latest episode

Thatīs what happens if an education system doesnīt allow an uninfluenced view on important parts of national history.

This is not a very good political move.
    For one, the Air-Self Defence Force is very much the biggest US ally of that reigion (maybe except for Korea) and you do stuff for/with the US and other Asian Nations all the time. Were pulling out of Iraq but we do PKOs in other places. This crap will not cause very good perceptions for those countries and the US.
    I hope he renounces the statement.... for his own career's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by tom! View Post
    Thatīs what happens if an education system doesnīt allow an uninfluenced view on important parts of national history.
    I doubt that the issue of corrupted civilian war education has much to do with General Tamogami's essay as he would, one expects, be rather better informed as a professional and very senior military officer about the realities of Japan's war. Unless, of course, military education about WWII is as badly corrupted as civilian education, which is more disturbing.

What is even more disturbing is that he might reflect the same sort of denials and nationalism in the military which has infected Japan's conservative civilian leaders for much of the post war period.

I'd like to see an impartial translation of his essay as the press and others often sensationalise aspects of such things.

While Japan has been exceptional in its perversion of its WWII history, it's a long way from being the only country to present a perverted or distorted view of its own history to its own people. No nation has clean hands in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Walter Schmidt View Post
    I hope he renounces the statement.... for his own career's sake.
    Wouldn't help if he did - he was fired so fast his feet didn't touch the ground.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

Quote Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
    Wouldn't help if he did - he was fired so fast his feet didn't touch the ground.
    I can see that.

Let's face it his ideas and thoughts about Japan's involvement in WW 2 are shared by many other Japanese, as scary as that seems.
    Just compare it to how Germany or Italy feels about their part in WW 2,and for the most part its a whole lot more realistic.
    IMHO Japan got off way too easy on their war crimes and that has led to the what alot of them feel about their actions in WW 2.

I looked in deeper with this but this is only one person, and is not the view of most Japanese military personell or citizen, outside of a military hobby shop.
    Also, this guy was not kicked but used a somewhat complicated political manouver to actualy retire, not get kicked. The administration is trying to do something about that right now.

I wonder if the good Japanese General ever heard of Area 31, the base in China where experiments were performed using toxic gasses and chemicals on POWs to practice for large spread use of gas and chemicals in Asia. Of course, the commandant of the base was taken to the USA where he was given a large pension for his data and expertise on the subject.
    In addition, I wonder if the good Japanese general ever heard of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere that in effect would be "eight corners of the world under one roof."
    That one roof would be Japan.
    IMHO, his revisionism is a WWII war crime.
    Where's Major Kong?

Regardless of apologies made, which I believe have been made to appease certain nations, including the US, rather than actual remorse, I could hardly call any such comments actual revisionism on the Japanese officer's part, at least not in his own view. This is the way that many Japanese, military or civilian, feel about their actions during WW2. Revisionism implies that the general consensus about a historical event has been wrong and needs to be changed with the actual facts. While we may have shared such consensus regarding Japan's involvement, the Japanese haven't. He may have been "punished" for his comments, but I would suspect that this was so because it again places Japan in a spotlight that they'd rather avoid and not because his fellow Japanese think that what he said was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun* View Post
    Mr Tamogami argued that Japan was drawn into World War II by then US president Franklin D Roosevelt, whom he said was being manipulated by the Comintern.

Oh this is something new
    The President Roosewelt was being manipulated by.....Commintern.
    What a fascinating idea.
    OK so it was Rooswelt who draw the the Japane into the WW2.
    For god sake, what force has pushed the Japs to the ..China in 1920yy ( Long long time BEFOR Rooswelt even become the president)
    What was that invisible force that make poor Japs to commite the genocide in China and Mongolia ?
    Evil Zionist or Soviet commies?
    Which one?

"I decide who is a Jew and who is an Aryan "- Hermann Goering

Both - didn't you know most Zionists were Commies?
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

Quote Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
    Both - didn't you know most Zionists were Commies?
    Do the Commie controll the America too?
    All is right. Look it up Comintern controlled Rooswelt, i.e. the Commi ruled by America

"I decide who is a Jew and who is an Aryan "- Hermann Goering

Quote Originally Posted by Chevan View Post
    Oh this is something new
    The President Roosewelt was being manipulated by.....Commintern.
    What a fascinating idea.
    OK so it was Rooswelt who draw the the Japane into the WW2.
    For god sake, what force has pushed the Japs to the ..China in 1920yy ( Long long time BEFOR Rooswelt even become the president)
    What was that invisible force that make poor Japs to commite the genocide in China and Mongolia ?
    Evil Zionist or Soviet commies?
    Which one?
    I think you've missed the obvious culprits: the White Russians who fled to China after losing to the Bolsheviks following the Revolution.

Japan, which also was controlled by the Comintern, was duped into going into China to finish off the White Russians the Reds couldn't reach in China.

So, the Comintern suckered Japan into China and then suckered America into imposing sanctions on Japan because of what Japan did in China, which led Roosevelt, under Comintern direction, to invite Japan to attack America so that the Comintern could carry out its long term plan of getting America to fight Germany after the Comintern suckered Hitler into invading the USSR so that the Soviets could lose millions of people before advancing westwards to the holy grail of Germany where Soviet troops could steal all the bicycles they liked, before handing them over to the Comintern which secretly shipped them all to Holland where the Dutch still ride bicycles everywhere and owe their nation's post-war mobility to the Comintern as they wait for orders from the Comintern to take over the rest of Europe when the rest of Europe has no bicycles and can't afford to import oil.

The Dutch are clearly the biggest threat to modern Europe. They should have their bike tyres punctured and their dykes breached before they can attack and plunge Europe into a new dark age.

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive!

PM - Friday, 14 November , 2008 18:26:00
    Reporter: Shane McLeod

MARK COLVIN: Japan's Prime Minister is having trouble with war history after he had to sack the head of the country's air force.

The speedy dismissal of a General who suggested Japan was lured into World War II was supposed to have placated Japan's neighbours and avoided yet another diplomatic flare-up over the past.

But as the Prime Minister Taro Aso has been finding out, his political opponents have used it as a chance to bring up Mr Aso's own connections to wartime history.

Specifically, the use of Australian Prisoners of War at a coalmine owned by the Aso family during the war years.

Shane McLeod reports from Tokyo.

SHANE MCLEOD: The recently departed chief of staff of Japan's Air Self Defence Force isn't toning down the comments that got him sacked.

General Toshio Tamogami was dumped after winning an essay competition with a piece of writing that suggested, amongst other things, that Japan was lured into World War II, and Japan's colonial legacy in China, Korea and Taiwan was largely benign.

He was brought before a parliamentary committee this week, which gave him another opportunity to have his say.

(Toshio Tamogami speaking)

"What I'm surprised about is that I mentioned Japan was a good country and then I was removed from my position", General Tamogami says. "I feel it's a little strange, it means they want someone for the post who says Japan is a bad country".

The now citizen Tamogami was dumped from his role as chief of staff of the air force, but he was allowed to retire from the force on full pension.

Prime Minister Taro Aso's move to quickly distance the government from the scandal seemed to tamp down criticism from Japan's neighbours. But for Japan's Opposition it's been an opportunity to raise questions about Mr Aso's own ties to Japan's wartime past, which they did in parliament this week.

(Sound of Yukihisa Fujita speaking)

This is Opposition MP Yukihisa Fujita, raising questions about the use of Allied Prisoners of War in a coal mine owned by Aso Mining, a company owned by Mr Aso's family.

Among the allied POWs who served in the mine were Australians. Mr Fujita asks Mr Aso whether he recognises there were allied POWs working in the mine during the war?

(Taro Aso speaking)

"I think you know that I was born in 1940", Mr Aso answers, "so at the time I was four or five-years-old. I was too young to recognise these facts, so honestly I didn't know anything at the time about Aso Mining. As regarding those facts now, I understand it hasn't been definitely confirmed".

That's a suggestion that historian and researcher William Underwood finds surprising.

He confirmed the links between Aso Mining and the POW labourers two years ago, while completing research for his doctoral thesis in Japan.

WILLIAM UNDERWOOD: It's quite remarkable because the documents themselves have been in the public realm for more than a year and the controversy surrounding the forced labour at Aso Mining is now more than two-years-old. So I'm just now sure what additional proof the Prime Minister would require?

SHANE MCLEOD: How to deal with his family's past has proven difficult for Mr Aso.

While he was only five-years-old at the end of the war, he went on to become head of the family company in the 1970s before entering parliament.

In 2006 as Foreign Minister, after news of the POW connections emerged, Mr Aso attended a ceremony at a Buddhist temple outside Osaka. The temple conducts a ceremony every year to honour POWs who died in custody in Japan during the war.

Initially the idea was that Mr Aso and ambassadors from some of the countries involved, including Australia, would attend the ceremony along with the minister.

But intense scrutiny, along with questions over whether Mr Aso would or should apologise, led to the ambassadorial invitations being withdrawn. Asked about it in Parliament Mr Aso says the plan was scaled down because he didn't want the scrutiny to overshadow the temple's ceremony.

(Taro Aso speaking)

"Until then it had been held quietly for a long time", Mr Aso says, "and I thought it was most undesirable for the war dead that it should become so noisy just because I went when I was foreign minister".

Even though Mr Aso is having trouble responding to his family's history, Dr Underwood believes it's something he may have known about for some time.

WILLIAM UNDERWOOD: Nobody's alleging that he personally took part in the forced labour enterprise. However, he did run the direct successor company during most of the 1970s. What we have now seems to be sort of a half step forward half step back approach to finessing the issue and just hoping it goes away by itself.
    http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2420451.htm
    Last edited by Rising Sun*; 11-15-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information