Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panzer Mark IV: The Workhorse?

Default Panzer Mark IV: The Workhorse?

I know we all love the super gigundus panzers that drew so much resources and were often unreliable, and unwieldy, in actual sustained combat conditions. So how about the real German workhorse of WWII, the Panzer MkIV? Was this not the one of the most effective combat tanks of all World War Two? and was it not the mainstay of Wehrmacht armored formations?

The Panzer MkIV proved itself to be a very adaptable platform capable of numerous upgrades that kept the tank effective against even its betters, such as the ubiquotous Soviet T-34, and it was certainly more than a match for the Sherman.

Croat armored corp members stand in front of the "long-barreled 75mm gun" version.

But alas, even with "applique armor," and various enhancements, the Panzer was not able to stave off defeat for the Axis Powers:

Some more pretty panzer pics from Aberdeen Proving Grounds I believe:

http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/U...r_IV_tank.aspx

Cheers:

Well, answering to your question , dont think so.

The pz III was the workhorse between 1939-41, in those years the Panzer IV had the task to support the infantry with his short 75mm gun.

The best years of the Pz IV were 1942-43 but by 1944 were completely shadowed by the Panther and other more capable gun plataforms like the Sturmanzersand Panzerjagers.

Panzer IV ausf E, 1941, note the mounting for AA MG 34, relatively rare in this early stage of the war.

Pz III is truly rarely mentioned, considering how many of them were produced before/during WWII.

Any pictures of Tauchpanzer III?

_
    Amazing Metal Detector Finds.
    Hand-picked World War II and Third Reich news every day.

I got some. but probably we need to open another topic.

The Pz III outnumbered the Pz IV in the battlefield until july 1943. The pz III was manufactued until August 1943.

Panzerknacker posted a nice one side view of an Panzer IV with Schmalturm and Thoma Schürzen - here:
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/show...t=3292&page=14

Anyone got further informations about those Thoma Schürzen?
    Greetings Splinter54
    Honor ruborque!

The thoma screen was introduced in late 1944 because it was more easy to manufacture that the rolled 5mm plates and less prone to get loose in the rough terrain. it was efficient against the bazooka and PIAT but completely useless against the russian 14,5mm antitank rifles, the plate schurzen at list help to deflect the energy of those shots a bit.

Panzer IV Ausf J

Another ausf. J with the mesh wire screen, note the "ambush" cammo pattern.

The Panzer IV is not the Tiger, the denomination of the Tiger is Panzer VI ausf H

Is interesting to know that many allied tankers did the same mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker View Post
    Is interesting to know that many allied tankers did the same mistake
    Wasn't there a 'condition' in the Normandy campaign called 'Tiger Fever'. Where most German tanks that were spotted be the Allies were assumed to be Tigers?

Really I can see how easy that would be. If someone was to catch just a glance of a Mk IV on the other side of the hedge row, I can see how it could be mistaken for a Tiger. Especially if I was excited and scared.

It was.

And not only the "occidental" allies, after Kursk radio Moscow announced that the russian defences destroyed 230 "tigers"... actually only 32 Panzer VI were lost

I think it was the real workhorse of the Panzers too. Even in 1945 its gun could defeat any Allied Tank (except maybe the JS-3 and as it saw no action doesnt count).

Of course the REAL workhorse of the German Army was the Stug.

In my opinion it was the Panzer III, at list until the battle of Kursk.

Panzer IV with long gun effectivenes:

An extract from of a combat report in Eastern front:

'At ranges up to 1,200 metres, the T-34 is cleanly penetrated at every angle that it is hit by the Pzgr.39 fired from the 7.5 cm Kw.K.40 L/43. No experience is available on the KW-I with reinforced armour.
    Engagements were aggravated by the frequent occurrence of shell casings failing to eject from
    the gun. Usually they could be cleared only by knocking the shell casing back out from the front with cleaning rods. This greatly restricted the firepower.
    'The T-34 that was far superior to the German Panzers until the beginning of the spring of 1942 is now inferior to the German long 5 cm Kw.K. L/60 and 7.5 cm Kw.K.40 L/43 tank guns.

After the Russians received heavy losses in several battles by attacking German Panzer forces with the T-34, they withdrew or employed the Russian tank types KW-I and KW-I with
    reinforced armour instead. Because these heavy tanks were never or seldom led as a unit, their destruction was usually ensured.
    '

(Osprey New Vanguard 039 Pz IV ausf G ,H & J)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information