Türk porno yayini yapan http://www.smfairview.com ve http://www.idoproxy.com adli siteler rokettube videolarini da HD kalitede yayinlayacagini acikladi. Ayrica porno indir ozelligiyle de http://www.mysticinca.com adli porno sitesi devreye girdi.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 88

Thread: Operation Sealion

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paramilitary wing of CAMRA
    Posts
    4,099

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    You're sort of right - I was trying to explain it more precisely. I wouldn't call them British (quite), but it's closer to the truth than any other plausible nationality. They are certainly entitled to British Passports, but special ones that don't give them the special rights to live anywhere in the EU that someone from the mainland UK would get.
    The closest similar situation is probably the Isle of Man...
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Republic of Texas, now part of the USA
    Posts
    1,042

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    What eventually happened to the German garrisons on the channel islands? Anyone know? I wouldn't think that they would "rot on the vine" as the Japanese did on different islands in the PTO.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paramilitary wing of CAMRA
    Posts
    4,099

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    They surrendered in the Summer of 1945, at the same time as the rest of the German forces.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Republic of Texas, now part of the USA
    Posts
    1,042

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
    They surrendered in the Summer of 1945, at the same time as the rest of the German forces.
    Thanks! Who knows what they had to endure on the islands, but sounds like they were kind of lucky to miss out on a lot of fighting and hardship. Especially considering they were still on the islands at the time of surrender.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
    You're sort of right - I was trying to explain it more precisely. I wouldn't call them British (quite), but it's closer to the truth than any other plausible nationality. They are certainly entitled to British Passports, but special ones that don't give them the special rights to live anywhere in the EU that someone from the mainland UK would get.
    The closest similar situation is probably the Isle of Man...
    It is rather a complicated subject because while they are subjects of the British crown and can therefore be classed as 'British' because of this, they cannot be classed as British because of where they live as the Channel Islands are not considered to belong to the British Isles, in geographical terms they are considered to be part of the land mass that makes up France.
    Last edited by redcoat; 09-29-2008 at 05:12 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aachen/Aken/Aix-la-Chapelle
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    Thanks! Who knows what they had to endure on the islands, but sounds like they were kind of lucky to miss out on a lot of fighting and hardship. Especially considering they were still on the islands at the time of surrender.
    I once read the personal story of a german soldier who was based on Jersey (the biggest and most populous channel island). You would rarely find better places for a german soldier to be in WW2. They had a good live there and weren't seriously attacked. The official statement of the allied had been that they just didn't want to linger with an unimportant island. But there were supposed political and public law reasons for -as pdf mentioned- the channel islands were not part of the UK but "crown dependency".
    "I just ran out of ammo. I will ram this one. Good bye, we'll meet in Valhalla." - Major Heinrich Ehrler, April 4, 1945

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aachen/Aken/Aix-la-Chapelle
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    BTW, this s hould be one of the scenes aly was writing about:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I just ran out of ammo. I will ram this one. Good bye, we'll meet in Valhalla." - Major Heinrich Ehrler, April 4, 1945

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    7,411

    Default Re: Op. Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by redcoat View Post
    It wasn't a ruse, and it had a zero chance of success

    I agree totally. I think the only Germans getting to England in sizable numbers enough to overwhelm the British would have been the ones washing up on shore...

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Republic of Texas, now part of the USA
    Posts
    1,042

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrowerguy View Post
    I once read the personal story of a german soldier who was based on Jersey (the biggest and most populous channel island). You would rarely find better places for a german soldier to be in WW2. They had a good live there and weren't seriously attacked. The official statement of the allied had been that they just didn't want to linger with an unimportant island. But there were supposed political and public law reasons for -as pdf mentioned- the channel islands were not part of the UK but "crown dependency".
    Thank you too, flame! That was an interesting bit of information.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia-Melbourne
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by festamus View Post
    In essence, only if the Germans are very lucky does this matter - the British Army and the Royal Air Force are supporting roles only; the Royal Navy would have ****ed the rather ad-hoc invasion fleet on all but the worst rolls of the die. Add to that the fact German plans for Sealion were woefully poor...
    Operation Sealion was f-cked up cause of Hitler.
    He may be good at speeches but with prepairing operations he should of listen to his much smarter Generals.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by aly j View Post
    Operation Sealion was f-cked up cause of Hitler.
    He may be good at speeches but with prepairing operations he should of listen to his much smarter Generals.
    He did. That's why it never took place.
    According to Colonel-General Halder, the chief German Army planner for Operation Sealion, the operation would be like "putting the troops through a sausage machine" *


    * he stated this when he found out the logistical capabilities (or lack of) of the German naval forces

    ps; At the start of the planning the German army was thinking in terms of 40 divisions in the first wave, by the time of the final plan this had been reduced to 11 divisions (9 infantry, 2 Airborne and a small number of tanks) landing over a period of 10 days.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Guildford, England
    Posts
    1,427

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Wow, with only those forces, it would have been a sausage machine.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paramilitary wing of CAMRA
    Posts
    4,099

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    It gets worse. That logistical plan relied on having to use most of the barges multiple times. Given how bad the weather can get in the channel and the resistance they could expect from the RN, this is an incredibly optimistic assumption!
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Guildford, England
    Posts
    1,427

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Those barges would have been lucky to make it across once, and they wanted to send them out some more times? They should have used their "fleet" to try and divert some attention from the barges, even then it wouldn't have been much, because the RN would have massacred the German "fleet".

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia-Melbourne
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Operation Sealion

    Quote Originally Posted by redcoat View Post
    He did. That's why it never took place.
    According to Colonel-General Halder, the chief German Army planner for Operation Sealion, the operation would be like "putting the troops through a sausage machine" *


    * he stated this when he found out the logistical capabilities (or lack of) of the German naval forces

    ps; At the start of the planning the German army was thinking in terms of 40 divisions in the first wave, by the time of the final plan this had been reduced to 11 divisions (9 infantry, 2 Airborne and a small number of tanks) landing over a period of 10 days.
    The only time Hitler listen.
    Yes hitler really wanted too do this.
    I dont think he even cared about hes own troops at all

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WW2 myths
    By Firefly in forum 2006 Archive Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •