Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Why did Germany invade Poland starting WW2?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Great Southern Land
    Posts
    889

    Default Why did Germany invade Poland starting WW2?

    Well basically Adolf hitler wanted more land, especially in the east, to expand Germany according to the Nazi policy of lebensraum.
    The British told Germany they have no rights to invade these countries, but Hitler used harsh limitation such as the Versailles Treaty as a pretext for Germany's right to acquire land where German-speaking people lived.

    In the eighteenth century Poland was an independent country with its own monarch. Constantly attacked by powerful neighbours it was eventually divided up between Russia, Austria-Hungary and Germany.

    In August 1939, a group of concentration camp prisoners were dressed in Polish uniforms, shot and then placed just inside the German border. Adolf Hitler claimed that Poland was attempting to invade Germany. On 1st September, 1939, the German Army was ordered into Poland.
    [/img]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Great Southern Land
    Posts
    889

    Default

    [img][/img]
    The German Army taking control of Warsaw, Poland.
    [img][/img]
    Evening Standerd newspaper describes in bold titles, " germany invades". Poland.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Freiburg-Deutschland
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Hitler need more country and Poland is pay . :wink:


    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

    Oberstleutnant Hanz Lutz

  4. #4

    Default

    part of that info you gave came from here http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERhitler.htm Its nice to give a link :wink:

    Is it not obvious that Hitler invaded Poland because 1) If I am not mistaken Poland, France, Brtain etc. were allies againsnt Germany in WWI? 2) Hitler wanted to take over Europe and well you'd have to go over Poland sometime!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Great Southern Land
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Though htler lied that the polish tried to invade Germany when they actually used POW and dressed them in polish uniform on the borders of Germany, announcing that the Polish are attacking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bucharest - Romania
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando Jordovski
    Though htler lied that the polish tried to invade Germany when they actually used POW and dressed them in polish uniform on the borders of Germany, announcing that the Polish are attacking.
    No POW were used (what war was before 1st of september 1939??)

    Quoted from http://www.polandinexile.com/army1.htm
    SS troops dressed in Polish uniforms attacked the radio station at Gleiwitz and broadcast inflammatory statements urging Polish minorities to take up arms against Hitler. For a touch of realism, several bodies of concentration inmates dressed in Polish uniforms, were left behind as 'evidence' for journalists to report on.
    End quote.

    And those SS troops belongs to Sicherheist*dienst (SD),

    Edited: My emboldment.
    Regimentul 38 "Neagoe Basarab"
    Divizia 10 Infanterie


    101st Airborne

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Great Southern Land
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando Jordovski
    Though htler lied that the polish tried to invade Germany when they actually used POW and dressed them in polish uniform on the borders of Germany, announcing that the Polish are attacking.
    No POW were used (what war was before 1st of september 1939??)

    Quoted from http://www.polandinexile.com/army1.htm
    SS troops dressed in Polish uniforms attacked the radio station at Gleiwitz and broadcast inflammatory statements urging Polish minorities to take up arms against Hitler. For a touch of realism, several bodies of concentration inmates dressed in Polish uniforms, were left behind as 'evidence' for journalists to report on.
    End quote.

    And those SS troops belongs to Sicherheist*dienst (SD),

    Edited: My emboldment.
    Sorry, ( concentration camp prisoners ) ,not POW

    Do you know if they have photographs of the gunned down prisoners.?

  8. #8

    Default

    Most of Poland had been Germany before WWI (the rest Austria- Hungary or Russia) so Hitler wanted it back. Though of course I'm not trying to justify that claim.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Freiburg-Deutschland
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    He want it back no he attack poland becouse poland been weak and they have old equipment ,old plains and tanks ,most of poland plains not evan a fly germans fighters destroydem on airfield ,hitler want to see how his army is strong and he is chose weak country ,after when he see how is strong he attack france ........


    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

    Oberstleutnant Hanz Lutz

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Great Southern Land
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clauss von Stauffeberg
    He want it back no he attack poland becouse poland been weak and they have old equipment ,old plains and tanks ,most of poland plains not evan a fly germans fighters destroydem on airfield ,hitler want to see how his army is strong and he is chose weak country ,after when he see how is strong he attack france ........

    Poland was quite a weak country but What really pushed Hitler to start a war and move his army into Poland was Land mass, then after he had taken Poland, THEN he thought something like " Why stop here when i can take europe with this Army ", though...even if he just taken Poland and nothing else, still the British would attack.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In German Hillbilly country, the Hunsrück
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Ok, after WW1, when Poland was rebuilt, they received some sections of land from defeated Germany (e.g. the province Posen, Poznan) and Russia.
    The next problem was that the Polish interwar authoritarian military government had imperial ambitions as well, and tried to take land from the weakened neighbours Germany and the Soviet Union. Actually there was a little known war going on between Poland and Germany, with in this case Poland as the agressor, in the 1920s. Since Germany's Reichswehr was restricted due to the Versailles treaty, the government used the first the Freikorps and later the SA as auxillary troops in the Baltic regions.
    Since the SA gained this way a kind of official role, this obviously helped the Nazis to become respectable.

    Then, to understand Hitler's imperial ambitions, you'll have to look back to the mid 19th century:

    Germany only existed as a nation since 1871, but became a major player in Europe very soon. All other European major powers (Britain, France, Belgium, Netherlands etc.) had overseas colonies, from which quite a bit of their wealth came. In German government circles, it was considered that, to become an equal player, Germany would also have to aquire colonies (They called it "Ein Platz and der Sonne" politics). Unfortunately Germany came about 200 years late and the world was already pretty much divided among the older powers. Especially Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm II, he of WW1, used his fledgling navy to put pressure on the existing powers, leading to several crisises at the end of the 19th century, early 20th century (Morocco Crisis, Kanonenbootpolitik). Eventually this drive to challenge the existing powers in Europe led to WW1.

    There were other political theorists and philosophers (e.g. Dietrich Schäfer) during the late 19th century, who, instead of going overseas, preached an expansion of Germany eastwards into Russia and other lands "not properly used by the local inferior population", the "Lebensraum Politik".

    Now Hitler grew up in the multicultural country of KuK Austria Hungary.
    The Austrians didn't take their colonies overseas, but right across their border. This way their country contasined people from a lot of backgrounds, Slavic, Hungarians, Jews (In this case I don't mean the assimilated Jews of Germany, who, with the exception of their religion were indistinguishable from their Christian neighbours, but Jews from Galicia and other Eastern European places, who dressed distinctly (look at traditional orthodox Jews in Jerusalem to get an idea) and lived in enclosed rural communities for centuries, with their very own customs).
    This Austrian-Hungarian empire was not a multicultural meltingpot, but had a distinct class system, based on ethnic origin, with people looking down on each other:
    On top were the German speaking Catholic Austrians, followed by the Hungarians, the Muslims (Bosnia) then came the Slavs followed by the Jews.
    This is the enviroment Hitler grew up in.
    This also explains why Hitler's movement attracted a lot of supporters in rural Catholic Southern Germany, with a culture quite similar to Austrai, while he had serious problems in cosmopolitan protestant places like Berlin or Hamburg.

    Hitlerstill believed that a powerfull country needed colonies and an enslaved population there to do the menial tasks, but he followed the route given by the 19th century chauvinists, preaching eastwards expansion.

    Polish interwar agression against Germany made it believable for many Germans to follow his ideology, and I doubt that without the Polish attempts to increase their territory in the 1920s by attacking German territory, many Germans would have believed Hitler's decoy of sept 1, 1939 at Gleiwitz. There were continued border tensions between the two countries. Hitler just usded them to his own ends, and there is a quote from him stating that in every negotiation between governments, there should be a few disputes left open, so that one has an excuse to attack the other country.

    Jan

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In German Hillbilly country, the Hunsrück
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Here is a Wikipedia article about the origins of the German Lebensraum philosophy:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensraum

    Jan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Freiburg-Deutschland
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando Jordovski
    Quote Originally Posted by Clauss von Stauffeberg
    He want it back no he attack poland becouse poland been weak and they have old equipment ,old plains and tanks ,most of poland plains not evan a fly germans fighters destroydem on airfield ,hitler want to see how his army is strong and he is chose weak country ,after when he see how is strong he attack france ........

    Poland was quite a weak country but What really pushed Hitler to start a war and move his army into Poland was Land mass, then after he had taken Poland, THEN he thought something like " Why stop here when i can take europe with this Army ", though...even if he just taken Poland and nothing else, still the British would attack.
    True but brittany alone can nothing germany ,together with france they lose .


    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

    Oberstleutnant Hanz Lutz

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Koninkrijk der Nederlanden
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clauss von Stauffeberg
    True but brittany alone can nothing germany ,together with france they lose .
    Brittany is part of France, and what has it got to do with anything? 8)
    1884 electric cartridge. Look similar to anything?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Freiburg-Deutschland
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Damn i think british empire ,my mistake


    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

    Oberstleutnant Hanz Lutz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dresden - War Crime or Justified?
    By PzKpfw VI Tiger in forum 2006 Archive Room
    Replies: 179
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
  2. Hitler addresses the Reichstag, and declares war on the USA
    By AM_R.A.D.6th in forum 2006 Archive Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
  3. Could German have won World War 2?
    By FW-190 Pilot in forum 2006 Archive Room
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
  4. What if Germany didnt invade Russia ?
    By T-34s_Are_Cool in forum 2006 Archive Room
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
  5. Leon Degalle's Interview.
    By Hosenfield in forum 2005 Archive Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •