Thread: Help / Advice needed on my Large White Ensign (9ft 2in x 4ft 7in)

Default Help / Advice needed on my Large White Ensign (9ft 2in x 4ft 7in)

I am hoping somebody will be able to help provide information on this large White Ensign I have. It measures approx 9ft 2in x 4ft 7in, it has what appears to be the following numbers / words / symbols on it - 571 3291, an arrow head, a boxed number 6 followed by BDS and finally White Ensign. Please see attached pictures.

Questions
    1) How old is this?
    2) What vessel or vessel type would it have come off of?
    3) What do the numbers / words / symbols represent?

Any further information is also greatly recieved.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01144.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	733.1 KB 
ID:	5758
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01143.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	678.9 KB 
ID:	5759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01146.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	608.9 KB 
ID:	5760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01145.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	967.4 KB 
ID:	5761  

Default Re: Help / Advice needed on my Large White Ensign (9ft 2in x 4ft 7in)

Not my field of even remote expertise, but I noticed the broad arrow in the markings on the flag.

The broad arrow may indicate that it is genuine British issue. http://www.raaoc.asn.au/?q=node/53

Australian issue in WWII also used the broad arrow, but more usually between two D's (representing Department of Defence) as on the mugs here. http://www.medalsgonemissing.com/Uni...ng-WW2/20.html
    A rational army would run away.
    Montesquieu

The broad arrow just means it's government property...
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to differentiate between the incompetent and the merely unfortunate - Curtis E LeMay

The numbers look like part of the NATO Stock Number (NSN) which all equipment used by NATO members have.

It is a 13 digit code laid out as XXXX-XX-XXX-XXXX. The first four numbers being type of kit, second pair country identifier, next seven the actual part number. In the UK quite often just the last 7 are shown on the item of equipment itself. Sometimes there is a series of letters and numbers before the start of the actual NSN.

An example I have to hand (so to speak), my Gloves Combat MkII are NSN CM/8415-99-978-3713. The 99 signifying UK

After a very quick search along my theory i found this which is a current NSN (it does not mean the ensign you have is new though just that that NSN is still in use for RN Ensigns)

RN Ensign NSN 8345-99-571-3291

Further examples of NSN's and description

NSN 8345-99-125-1126
    FLAG,NATIONAL:UNITED KINGDOM;1220MM LG;610MM WD;CROSS MIDDLE DESIGN;FITTED WITH PLAIN & SWIVEL INGLEFIELD CLIPS;ROYAL BLUE,WHITE & RED.

NSN 8345-99-125-1117
    RAF Ensign, 92X184 cm

The arrow as stated is the typical British Government Property Crowsfoot
    The boxed number on many items of kit is usually the packer/checker ID number, not always though.
    Last edited by leccy; 12-10-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    'Amazon' Bridge
    Construction dates: 12/13 May 1944 (Operation Diadem)
    Details: 80 ft Class 30 Bailey bridge built over Rapido river under constant fire.
    The bridge was built as part of the Allies break-out of the Gustav Line.
    Work started at 5.45pm (12 May) and completed at 5.30am (13 May).
    The human cost was high; 15 sappers were killed and 57 (including 3 officers) wounded.
    Constructed by: 7th, 59th, 225th Field Companies (4th Division)

Thread Information