Türk porno yayini yapan http://www.smfairview.com ve http://www.idoproxy.com adli siteler rokettube videolarini da HD kalitede yayinlayacagini acikladi. Ayrica porno indir ozelligiyle de http://www.mysticinca.com adli porno sitesi devreye girdi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Fact or Fiction?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    100

    Default Fact or Fiction?

    Has anyone ever heard the term 'Overseas Kid'? I am reading one of those end-of-the-war fictions and the author says that Overseas Kid was a Nazi propaganda newspaper put out for the 'benefit' of Allied POW's. The benefit they put it to was as toilet paper.

    I did some googling on this but can't come up with the term. Now I am thinking the author made up the term for the purposes of his novel.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    I've had a long think about your post.

    "Ausland Junge" may well have been real.
    Along with several other similar publications.
    The author you cite won't have used the original name for the publication, and the German I've given above is close-enough to what it would have been called, though I freely admit I'm open to correction on the exact name, because there were severals tens of such items published, and in some cases the same publication might well change its' name from week to week, for various reasons.

    Regards, Uyraell.

    "Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense." :
    "Ill unto he who ill of it thinks."
    Edward III, Rex Britania, AD1348.

    "Wenn Schon, denn schon."
    "Be It Done, Best be It Be Done Well."
    Known German adage.

    "Until you have looked into a veteran's eyes and actually seen it,
    you'll never fully understand."
    ^Uyraell^

    "Aligaes : Amore vel Ira." :
    "^Winged Ones^ : Love or Wrath."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
    I've had a long think about your post.

    "Ausland Junge" may well have been real.
    Along with several other similar publications.
    The author you cite won't have used the original name for the publication, and the German I've given above is close-enough to what it would have been called, though I freely admit I'm open to correction on the exact name, because there were severals tens of such items published, and in some cases the same publication might well change its' name from week to week, for various reasons.

    Regards, Uyraell.
    I've already forgotten the author's name, and it was a library book.

    Although Goebbels hated swing music, I know he allowed a German swing orchestra to play somewhat modified American music to be beamed at the Allied troops. I'm sure they enjoyed the music and ignored the propaganda.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Pretty much correct.
    In similar vein, because the German radio stations were more powerful transmitters, the 8th Army guys in the western Desert (my uncle among them) tuned in to German radio nightly broadcasts the hear the music, and ignored the propaganda.

    Years later, and one intriguing result was that many of the men of that generation who had served in the 8th Army could sing "Lili Marlene" in German, despite an other wise complete lack of familiarity with the language.
    I saw proof of this at an international Vintage car Rally here in NZ, in March, 2000. Part of one evening's entertainment was "the old songs". Several people present, including myself, were able to sing "Lili Marlene" in German, and all present joined us in both German and English.
    One small, but pleasing, example of music being a universal communicator.

    Kind and Respectful Regards Gary D, Uyraell.

    "Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense." :
    "Ill unto he who ill of it thinks."
    Edward III, Rex Britania, AD1348.

    "Wenn Schon, denn schon."
    "Be It Done, Best be It Be Done Well."
    Known German adage.

    "Until you have looked into a veteran's eyes and actually seen it,
    you'll never fully understand."
    ^Uyraell^

    "Aligaes : Amore vel Ira." :
    "^Winged Ones^ : Love or Wrath."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Years later, and one intriguing result was that many of the men of that generation who had served in the 8th Army could sing "Lili Marlene" in German, despite an other wise complete lack of familiarity with the language.
    I saw proof of this at an international Vintage car Rally here in NZ, in March, 2000. Part of one evening's entertainment was "the old songs". Several people present, including myself, were able to sing "Lili Marlene" in German, and all present joined us in both German and English.
    One small, but pleasing, example of music being a universal communicator.



    Didn't Vera Lynne (whose voice was nearly as recognizable as Churchill's) sing Lili Marlene during the war, when Germans were singing it on the other side? I always connect that song with her and Marlene Dietrich. Of course, there's no propaganda in the song--its theme is universal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,270

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary D. View Post
    Didn't Vera Lynne (whose voice was nearly as recognizable as Churchill's) sing Lili Marlene during the war, when Germans were singing it on the other side? I always connect that song with her and Marlene Dietrich. Of course, there's no propaganda in the song--its theme is universal.
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/ww2-music-uk.html
    ..
    A rational army would run away.
    Montesquieu

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Up in the land of the Yoopers.
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    You forgot "Happy days are here again" Though to be honest I'm not certain it was written to celebrate the end of the Depression, or the end of WW 1, or 2. Good song for its day though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0Qt7IF8Q4

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,270

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by tankgeezer View Post
    You forgot "Happy days are here again" Though to be honest I'm not certain it was written to celebrate the end of the Depression, or the end of WW 1, or 2. Good song for its day though.
    The version I learnt was from a 50s TV show for kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_DX4Bo05M

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eX1t...eature=related

    Court cases and suicides over the past decade or two related to other kids' entertainers suggest that no more than one in four of the blokes in those videos were paedophiles.

    Whereas I was rather keen on Princess Panda then and for some years later, where now I can see that I wasted my unrequited affections on that sharp faced, buck toothed, sloe-eyed, practically titless, uncoordinated hand-wrist-slapping, finger-squirrelling, young harridan.
    Last edited by Rising Sun*; 08-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    ..
    A rational army would run away.
    Montesquieu

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary D. View Post
    Years later, and one intriguing result was that many of the men of that generation who had served in the 8th Army could sing "Lili Marlene" in German, despite an other wise complete lack of familiarity with the language.
    I saw proof of this at an international Vintage car Rally here in NZ, in March, 2000. Part of one evening's entertainment was "the old songs". Several people present, including myself, were able to sing "Lili Marlene" in German, and all present joined us in both German and English.
    One small, but pleasing, example of music being a universal communicator.



    Didn't Vera Lynne (whose voice was nearly as recognizable as Churchill's) sing Lili Marlene during the war, when Germans were singing it on the other side? I always connect that song with her and Marlene Dietrich. Of course, there's no propaganda in the song--its theme is universal.
    Yes, she was pretty-much ordered to do a "British" recording of "Lili Marlene" in English, which recording then began to be broadcast to British forces soon afterwards.
    There are differences apart from language between the German original and the British rendition, but over-all the British version is a reasonable transliteration, if not word-perfect.

    The unusual aspect though, is that often, the British troops still preferred the German version, which I think has as much to do with the "smokey" voice of the German singer, as anything else, it being that Vera Lynne was generally popular regardless of what she sang. Marlene Deitrich is said to have twice recorded "Lili Marlene", and allegedly one of those is on the "Apollo Verlag" label (nb: it may well be that the Dietrich recording has, over time, become confused with the Lala Anderson recording/version), reasonably rare to find that version these days, so afficionados inform me.

    EDIT: It is of note (pardon the pun) that Command Authorities of British, Commonwealth, and US Forces were generally far less restrictive of what the troops in the field listened to, than were say the Germans or Russians. But this isn't to say those same Command Authorities didn't keep a very wary eye open on the topic at all times. They managed, over all, to be vigilant without seeming to be so in an obtrusive manner.
    This information from my uncle, 2NZEF,2nd NZ Div., with the 8th Army in the Western Desert, Crete, and Italian campaigns.

    Kind and Respectful Regards Gary D, Uyraell.
    Last edited by Uyraell; 08-18-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Edit Added.

    "Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense." :
    "Ill unto he who ill of it thinks."
    Edward III, Rex Britania, AD1348.

    "Wenn Schon, denn schon."
    "Be It Done, Best be It Be Done Well."
    Known German adage.

    "Until you have looked into a veteran's eyes and actually seen it,
    you'll never fully understand."
    ^Uyraell^

    "Aligaes : Amore vel Ira." :
    "^Winged Ones^ : Love or Wrath."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by tankgeezer View Post
    You forgot "Happy days are here again" Though to be honest I'm not certain it was written to celebrate the end of the Depression, or the end of WW 1, or 2. Good song for its day though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0Qt7IF8Q4
    TG My friend, I have an eerie feeling "Happy days are here again" is associated with TinPan Alley, and Storeyville in Chicago, then became popularised again post-1930, after the moralist maniacs had had Storeyville closed down for about a decade. From vague memory reading about Storeyville, the song itself was from 1919, and finally recorded somewhere around 1920, 1922. It had been intended to celebrate the end of WW1 iIrc.

    Kind and Respectful Regards TG my friend, Uyraell.
    Last edited by Uyraell; 08-19-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Typo.

    "Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense." :
    "Ill unto he who ill of it thinks."
    Edward III, Rex Britania, AD1348.

    "Wenn Schon, denn schon."
    "Be It Done, Best be It Be Done Well."
    Known German adage.

    "Until you have looked into a veteran's eyes and actually seen it,
    you'll never fully understand."
    ^Uyraell^

    "Aligaes : Amore vel Ira." :
    "^Winged Ones^ : Love or Wrath."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    my very favorite songs to sing are from Marlene dietrich and Vera lynne- i just cant sing any of dietrichs song in german however: i sing mostly french, greek or english. The term overseasboys is most probably fabricated by the author for emphasis to his story.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
    TG My friend, I have an eerie feeling "Happy days are here again" is associated with TinPan Alley, and Storeyville in Chicago, then became popularised again post-1930, after the moralist maniacs had had Storeyville closed down for about a decade. From vague memory reading about Storeyville, the song itself was from 1919, and finally recorded somewhere around 1920, 1922. It had been intended to celebrate the end of WW1 iIrc.

    Kind and Respectful Regards TG my friend, Uyraell.
    Actually, I think "Happy Days Are Here Again" was adopted by Franklin Roosevelt as his campaign standard. I don't think it had anything to do with celebrating the end of WW2, but had everything to do with putting a very positive spin on FDR's efforts to counter the Great Depression.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by royal744 View Post
    Actually, I think "Happy Days Are Here Again" was adopted by Franklin Roosevelt as his campaign standard. I don't think it had anything to do with celebrating the end of WW2, but had everything to do with putting a very positive spin on FDR's efforts to counter the Great Depression.
    I was adopted as a campaign song, yes. It was employed as you say. Yes.
    As I understand the matter, however: the song had been written to celebrate the end of the First World War.

    Kind and Respectful Regards Royal744, Uyraell.

    "Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense." :
    "Ill unto he who ill of it thinks."
    Edward III, Rex Britania, AD1348.

    "Wenn Schon, denn schon."
    "Be It Done, Best be It Be Done Well."
    Known German adage.

    "Until you have looked into a veteran's eyes and actually seen it,
    you'll never fully understand."
    ^Uyraell^

    "Aligaes : Amore vel Ira." :
    "^Winged Ones^ : Love or Wrath."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pluckley Kent
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Lili Marlene as heard over the radio during most of the war was recorded by Lale Andersen.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: Fact or Fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by tankgeezer View Post
    You forgot "Happy days are here again" Though to be honest I'm not certain it was written to celebrate the end of the Depression, or the end of WW 1, or 2. Good song for its day though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0Qt7IF8Q4
    Wasn't "Happy Days Are Here Again" Franklin Roosevelt's theme song, played at his political rallies? Oops, asked and answered. Never mind.

    REVISION: The song was written in 1929 and first appeared in a movie called "Chasing Rainbows" in 1930. It was played on a whim at the Democatic National Convention in 1932 at which FDR was nominated for President. It caught on and became his theme song and has been played at Democratic National Conventins ever since. Some people think it celebrates the end of Prohibition but that didn't happen until after Roosevelt was elected in '32. Ironically, 1929 was the year of the great stock market crash that began the Great Depression.
    Last edited by royal744; 07-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •