PDA

View Full Version : HBO The Pacific Trailer Released

VonWeyer
08-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Can't wait for this. Looks like it will be released in March 2010. Looks brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E

rudeerude
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Looks interesting,produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg producers of Band of Brothers.

flamethrowerguy
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks promising indeed. One can only hope that there aren't people around who already file petitions and demand the subsequent bestowal of the Medal of Honor for the main characters.

Nickdfresh
08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Looks promising indeed. One can only hope that there aren't people around who already file petitions and demand the subsequent bestowal of the Medal of Honor for the main characters.

:lol:

cimot_cool
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks great finally glad to see another piece of film that will captivate me hopefully like Band of Brothers. Been looking foward to his for a long time.

rudeerude
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
The Pacific mini-series starts this Sunday.Some of the battles covered are Guadalcanal,Peleliu,Iwo Jima,Okinawa.Looks like I am going to have to make some DVR space.

Nickdfresh
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM

To be fair, MAJ Winters (then 1LT) nearly won the Medal of Honor for his action and plan in attacking the German pieces firing on Utah Beach. But I believe the quota was filled when a paratroop LTC was killed doing something stupidly brave on D-Day...

Procyon
03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
It's coming out on March 14th. Looking forward to it.
Official site: http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html

mike M.
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Watched it Sunday night..looks good. It moved kinda fast, wish they spent a little more time getting to know the 3 main players. The ordnance looked great. :) I know where I will be for the next 9 Sunday nights.

Nickdfresh
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I agree they should have had a "Currahee" type episode to get to know the main characters...

FW-190 Pilot
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I thought its not as good as Band of Brothers but its still very entertaining so far. The only problem i had is the Japanese, why did they bother charging at the Americans (who is in a very good defensive position) on open field with no attempt to protect themselves? Is this a way to make Japan look stupid because they might as well killed themselves and never bothered with the offensive.

Nickdfresh
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I thought its not as good as Band of Brothers but its still very entertaining so far. The only problem i had is the Japanese, why did they bother charging at the Americans (who is in a very good defensive position) on open field with no attempt to protect themselves? Is this a way to make Japan look stupid because they might as well killed themselves and never bothered with the offensive.

Because the Japanese made themselves look stupid on occasion with ill-coordinated, desperate attacks that had little hope against the sustained superior firepower of the Allied forces they faced. The attacks were a courageous waste ordered by detached commanders who underestimated the resolve of the marines--and overestimated the ability of their own infantry to overcome superior firepower--as they were drunk on their previous victories and flush with overconfidence....

And the Japanese look no more "stupid" to me then the German SS-men in the "Crossroads" episode of "BoB."

Gren Schell
03-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Unfortunately, we cannot get here in the UK unless we pay SKY HD for the Privilege! Guess we will have to wait (ages) for it to go onto DVD. For those who have seen it, is it better than Flags/ Letters from Iwo Jima????

FW-190 Pilot
03-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Unfortunately, we cannot get here in the UK unless we pay SKY HD for the Privilege! Guess we will have to wait (ages) for it to go onto DVD. For those who have seen it, is it better than Flags/ Letters from Iwo Jima????

Thats what bittorrent comes into good use!

Gren Schell
03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Thats what bittorrent comes into good use!
?? Never heard of this... is it legal!!!! :confused: :shock:

VonWeyer
03-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Watched it Sunday night..looks good. It moved kinda fast, wish they spent a little more time getting to know the 3 main players. The ordnance looked great. :) I know where I will be for the next 9 Sunday nights.

I envy you guys...this is not available in our part of the world yet..can't wait for the dvd set.

cimot_cool
03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I've watched the first two episodes and so far it's got me hooked. I was a huge fan of the Band of Brothers series. And I realize that this series is being done by some of the same folks.

FW-190 Pilot
03-24-2010, 03:15 AM
?? Never heard of this... is it legal!!!! :confused: :shock:
Depends on which country you are living, its not legal if you are living in Sweden, Canada.

Tiger205
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
We have already running in HBO (with a week delay) but I have aslo torrent downloaded (with Hungarian subtitel instead of the fully dubbed HBO version).
As I have a 24" lcd monitor and adequate sound system, it does not matter watching from computer)

But (after just two episodes) I also prefer the BoB (maybe I prefer Amrose as a writer). OK? Mc Kenna was also BoB ccreenwrite as here, but the basic story...
... but well, I am an UASMC fan, so nothing can keep me out of watching this series!

Regadrs:
TGR

stidham
03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I watched the first two episodes and kept comparing it to BoB. Then I went back a rewatched them again without comparing them. I enjoyed them a lot more. BoB, the whole focus was how these guys came together and were bonded together by their experiences. The Pacific on the other hand is from these guys' (I can't remember their names) personal accounts of the war in the pacific, which was a different kind of war all together. As far as the production values, they are great, as good as BoB. The producers did a great job again.

Later,
Dave

Nickdfresh
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
We have already running in HBO (with a week delay) but I have aslo torrent downloaded (with Hungarian subtitel instead of the fully dubbed HBO version).
As I have a 24" lcd monitor and adequate sound system, it does not matter watching from computer)

But (after just two episodes) I also prefer the BoB (maybe I prefer Amrose as a writer). OK? Mc Kenna was also BoB ccreenwrite as here, but the basic story...
... but well, I am an UASMC fan, so nothing can keep me out of watching this series!

Regadrs:
TGR

I've seen the torrent downloads, but will probably end up buying the whole series when it's released on Blu-ray as the AVI's just aren't the same quality...

FW-190 Pilot
03-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Regadrs:
TGR

At least you didnt mis-spell Regards as Retards like my friend did : P

Anyways, to Nick. I thought when i watched that particular episode from Bob, the SS man would be formed by inexperienced solider because its late in the war, the Japanese on the other hand was still winning the war and thus still should have their best soldier.

I get the idea that they didnt give enough respect to their enemy though, thank god they made that mistake.

Tiger205
03-26-2010, 03:54 AM

let me try once more :lol:

After watching just two episodes - I also prefer the BoB (maybe I I prefer Ambrose as a writer).
O.K! I know - McKenna was also one of the screenwriters of BoB - like here - but the basic story and the priorities are totally different...

... but well, as an USMC-fan, I WILL watch all of the episodes of course!

(hopefully better to read now!)

SORRY for the floppy quote!

regadrs:
TGR

Tiger205
03-26-2010, 04:01 AM
I get the idea that they didnt give enough respect to their enemy though, thank god they made that mistake.

Have you read Leon Uris's Battle Cry?

regads:
TGR

Nickdfresh
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM

Anyways, to Nick. I thought when i watched that particular episode from Bob, the SS man would be formed by inexperienced solider because its late in the war, the Japanese on the other hand was still winning the war and thus still should have their best soldier.

The Japanese were getting beaten down and suffering from malnutrition on the 'Canal. I believe that at least two of their assaults on Henderson Field were very treacherous night attacks (for the attackers) that had to be made through the jungle causing the individual units to become disoriented and hit the Americans piece-meal rather than in the intended force concentration. Secondly, the fact that the Imperial Japanese Army was still "winning" made their commanders arrogant and dismissive towards the marines and Army National Guardsmen defending Guadalcanal. And even in instances where the Japanese won, there were times they had to contend with superior firepower the Allies could bring to bear--when the said Allies were well supplied and hunkered down into tight defensive positions--which the Japanese tended to not do so well against due to their lack of effective infantry weapons and the unrealistic suicidal madness that beset many of the detached high command members issuing edicts from afar. In a sense, their over-aggressiveness could be used against them...

HOS Bandit
03-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't go as far too say that it was/is better than Flags/Letters, but in it's own way it is just as good.

Procyon
03-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I've seen the torrent downloads, but will probably end up buying the whole series when it's released on Blu-ray as the AVI's just aren't the same quality...

Yup, I'll probably buy it as well! Nothing beats Blu-ray. I wish I had a decent sound system though.

rudeerude
03-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I watched the first two episodes and kept comparing it to BoB. Then I went back a rewatched them again without comparing them. I enjoyed them a lot more. BoB, the whole focus was how these guys came together and were bonded together by their experiences. The Pacific on the other hand is from these guys' (I can't remember their names) personal accounts of the war in the pacific, which was a different kind of war all together. As far as the production values, they are great, as good as BoB. The producers did a great job again.

Later,
Dave

I was doing the same thing trying to compare one to the other.I also re-watched and the second, third, and fourth time to me now there is no need to compare the BoB to The Pacific.Two of the books that "The Pacific" is based on is "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge.He is the character that is still in the states with the heart murmur."Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, character I believe is the Marine with curly hair that survives a head shot ? in the second episode."With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge from what I have read on the HBO The Pacific site is a required read for Marine NCO's

downwithpeace
03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Hopefully the Blu-ray release won't be held off until every TV station has aired the show.

Rising Sun*
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I saw the first episode a few days ago and have just re-watched it, thanks to the channel which showed it here capitalising on good ratings by replaying it.

I don't think it's very good.

Not a patch on Band of Brothers.

The first episode is largely a series of barely connected vignettes, many of which I assume attempt but fail to convey the confusion of war.

They do, however, convey the tedious obsession of American film producers with maudlin nationalistic sentiment and pyrotechnics, with suitable music to reinforce the maudlin nationalistic bits where the pyrotechnics don't hold attention.

If you think my view is harsh, you should have heard the adjutant of my old unit the day after it screened here. He turned it off after about twenty minutes because, summarising his many criticisms, he found it to be bullshit.

I am, however, looking forward to a laugh in the second episode next week which apparently shows my city as having a vibrant Greek community based on a group of shops in Rathdowne Street in Carlton, which are about thirty yards from the part of Fenwick Street (also mentioned in the following link) where I lived about forty years ago. You'd have to kill a few battalions of Italians before you found a Greek there, then. Which seems to be the opinion of current Greek authorities on the Greek community in Melbourne during WWII: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/rathdowne-st-its-all-greek-to-filmmakers-20100416-sko1.html

I suspected it wasn't going to be much good when I saw the promotions which preceded it for weeks, if not months. Lots of emphasis on 'love scenes'. Nothing buggers up a war movie like love scenes.

It will need to be a lot, lot better in the second and subsequent episodes to get anywhere near Band of Brothers and Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.

The Gnome!
04-17-2010, 07:25 PM
For those who have seen it, is it better than Flags/ Letters from Iwo Jima????

IMO yes and close to the level of Band Of Brothers

Tiger205
04-18-2010, 05:47 AM
IMO yes and close to the level of Band Of Brothers

IMHO, we cannot compare (mini) series with movies, but the letters from Iwo Jima was much better (except the soviet GAZ-69 jeep appearing)

but people (and their opinion) are different!

rudeerude
04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
I am, however, looking forward to a laugh in the second episode next week which apparently shows my city as having a vibrant Greek community based on a group of shops in Rathdowne Street in Carlton, which are about thirty yards from the part of Fenwick Street (also mentioned in the following link) where I lived about forty years ago. You'd have to kill a few battalions of Italians before you found a Greek there, then. Which seems to be the opinion of current Greek authorities on the Greek community in Melbourne during WWII: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/rathdowne-st-its-all-greek-to-filmmakers-20100416-sko1.html

Episode 3 is when the 1st Marine Division gets relieved and arrives in Melbourne RS so 2 more weeks for that laugh.Episode 2 John Basilone arrives on Guadalcanal .

Tiger205
04-21-2010, 04:13 AM
The 5th episode was finally as good as I expected (O.K., maybe I' m not sensitive enough for the lyric parts...).
The landing scene in the 4th episode was very good too.

Nickdfresh
04-21-2010, 07:39 AM
The series is progressively getting a little better bit by bit. But the soap opera story lines is a bit annoying...

Tiger205
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Soap Opera disappeared (thnx to God) BUT lyric parts are still strong (SPOILER - what happened with Capt. Ack-Ack Haldane)
I have to agree: getting a little better bit by bit (but 10 episodes are enough to became excellent???)

Rising Sun*
04-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Saw 4th episode last night.

I think I can see what the filmmakers are trying to do, but they seem to me to miss the mark just about every time.

I still feel like I'm seeing a series of, at best, vaguely related vignettes rather than a coherent exposition of the experiences of the 1st Marine Division and its members.

Apart from the bloke with eneurisis and the nasty officer pinching his souvenir box, most of it was indistinguishable from the earlier episodes.

I still can't see it getting anywhere near Band of Brothers in any aspect.

Tiger205
04-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I still can't see it getting anywhere near Band of Brothers in any aspect.

The last two episodes, my friend, the last two!
:)

gumalangi
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I find BoB much better than this one,. so far,.

grange
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, after waiting fr the show , I have to say it sucked and was no band of brothers

FW-190 Pilot
05-24-2010, 01:49 AM
For some reason, i really feel for Sid when i imagine him losing Sledge back in 2001. He must be devastated.

Rising Sun*
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
I've seen a few more episodes since my last post and it doesn't change my opinion, and I've been hoping they would.

It's a bit better, but still fails to deliver much more than endless battle scenes which are a tribute to special effects with occasional attempts to develop a bit of characterisation and character development.

Maybe she wrote a detailed autobiography later, but in the 1940s I don't imagine that Mrs Basilone gave the world step by step intitmate details of their first root on their honeymoon as shown in the series.

That element, like other aspects of the series, just looks like more Hollywood invention for cinematic effect (a true story based on fact - Yeah! Right!) to me.

FW-190 Pilot
05-24-2010, 08:39 AM
I hope they made a series from the German point of view, or Japanese.

Rising Sun*
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I hope they made a series from the German point of view, or Japanese.

I'd really like to see one from the Japanese point of view.

It might reveal as much about current Japanese perspectives on the war as the Hollywood version does about American perspectives, depending upon whether it is funded by the right or the left in Japan.

What I'd really like to see is a film by anyone which attempts to put the war into its wider perspective of the causes and events which led to it, which go rather further back than the occasional simplistic refererences to the Japanese diplomats in America failing to announce the war in time for America to do something with notice (probably about the same as it did) at Pearl Harbor.

Because in large part the war with Japan was a war with its roots in conflicts between Western imperial / colonial exploitation of China and Japanese imperial / colonial exploitation of China, in which the West does not come out as all that noble.

But that's too complicated to put into film, at least for producers/directors who use pyrotechnics for effect and don't think much above that pedestrian level, so it's easier to make splatter movies / TV series which reduce everything to the personal level of the individual participant rather than the wider issues which got the poor bastards there.

FW-190 Pilot
05-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd really like to see one from the Japanese point of view.

It might reveal as much about current Japanese perspectives on the war as the Hollywood version does about American perspectives, depending upon whether it is funded by the right or the left in Japan.

What I'd really like to see is a film by anyone which attempts to put the war into its wider perspective of the causes and events which led to it, which go rather further back than the occasional simplistic refererences to the Japanese diplomats in America failing to announce the war in time for America to do something with notice (probably about the same as it did) at Pearl Harbor.

Because in large part the war with Japan was a war with its roots in conflicts between Western imperial / colonial exploitation of China and Japanese imperial / colonial exploitation of China, in which the West does not come out as all that noble.

But that's too complicated to put into film, at least for producers/directors who use pyrotechnics for effect and don't think much above that pedestrian level, so it's easier to make splatter movies / TV series which reduce everything to the personal level of the individual participant rather than the wider issues which got the poor bastards there.
did you watch this movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUl1mAjTTb0

As for the reasons that Japan started the war (at least from what i heard from Discovery channel) is that the Americans refuse to sell oils to the Japanese so they have to choose between starting a short war with the Americans or thrown in the white towel and retreat from China. Another reason is the pressure from the government itself, there were numerous murder on those who opposed the war.

IIRC

Rising Sun*
05-24-2010, 09:49 AM
did you watch this movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUl1mAjTTb0

No.

But I'm going to now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd4-azzoQg

As for the reasons that Japan started the war (at least from what i heard from Discovery channel) is that the Americans refuse to sell oils to the Japanese so they have to choose between starting a short war with the Americans or thrown in the white towel and retreat from China. Another reason is the pressure from the government itself, there were numerous murder on those who opposed the war.

Those were the last events which precipitated the war, but the history goes back several decades at least and very much involves Western and Japanese competition for supremacy in exploiting China's riches.

tom!
07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi.

Here in Germany the first part was shown yesterday evening. The rest will follow weekly if they donīt remove it due to too few watchers.....

Yours

tom!;)

Procyon
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the link. Gonna watch otoko tachi no yamato!
Enjoy BoB, tom! I haven't seen it...been too busy.

flamethrowerguy
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi.

Here in Germany the first part was shown yesterday evening.

Aaarggghhh! Forgot about that...:(

downwithpeace
07-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Play.com has the Blu-ray listed for €50.49 and released on 01/11/2010, probably earlier in the US.

FW-190 Pilot
08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
wow, almost 100 bucks.