PDA

View Full Version : Show your military unit-emblems (with pride)!

Flammpanzer
06-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi folks!

First of all, I hope that such a thread does not already exist.

Maybe you feel a slight pleasure to show your personal military-emblems of those units you served or serve in. This could be an interesting experience due to the different symbols all the armies and units used and use.

So I start with mine:

32. Panzergrenadier-Battaillon in Nienburg, North-West-Germany near Bremen and Hannover. I served in the 3rd and 5th company there from 1994-1996 and ended up as Stabsunteroffizier ("StUffz."; I guess it is similar to staff-sergeant, tank-gunner and later inf. squad-leader). The unit was equipped with the APC "MARDER" 1A3.

The emblem itself shows the typical weapons of the infantry in the left upper corner - the bayonet and a handgreande (both in WW2-style, which is pretty cool). "Discussable" is the symbolized "Wolfsangel" in the right corner. WW2-buffs might already have recognized that the 2. Waffen-SS-Division used the same symbol. Not a good choice by the Bundeswehr maybe. The "wolf´s angle" was an old fashioned trap to hunt for wolves. The color green shows again a link to the infantry -green is the traditional colour in the Bundeswehr for all inf.-units.

The unit was "deleted" in 1997, although it was a so called "KRK-unit" which meant that we were mainly trained for missions abreoad, like in Yugoslavia etc.

Jens

Panzerknacker
06-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Interesting, any picture of the Marder IFV ( how is the name of IFV in german ? )

Flammpanzer
06-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Hi PK!

It is "Schützenpanzer", but the direct translation would be

"Infanterie-Kampffahrzeug" (but this is an uncommon term).

I will try to post some pics of the Marder later.

BTW: Nobody around here who has something to show?

And I have found the company-emblem from my unit:

Regards

Jens

Flammpanzer
06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Here are some exclusive pics of the Schützenpanzer Spz Marder 1A3 ... they were all taken in 1996 in Canada ("Shiloh Range" in Manitoba, which is no longer used by the German Army).

Jens

Panzerknacker
06-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Nice, very nice, danke Flammpanzer

navyson
06-29-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for putting those pictures up for us Flammpanzer.
Sorry, I don't have anything to show, I wasn't in the military. (My father was though.)

Flammpanzer
07-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Badge worn by all the German troops from the 1st company (staff and supply unit) that served on Shilo Range, Manitoba/Canada. This training-ground is no longer used by the Bundeswehr AFAIK.

I stayed there in summer 1996 for three weeks. All exercises were done only with live ammunition (and we "wasted" a lot of it), which was pretty cool. :mrgreen:

Jens

Schuultz
07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey Flammpanzer, were you ever in Hillersleben? That place seems like an amazing location to train...

Flammpanzer
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
No, Schuulz, I have never been there, but I know the training-ground Bergen very well (been there at least 8 times) and Hohenfels in Bavaria, to which I have beem 2 times. Both are major training grounds of the Bundeswehr and other forces (British troops resp. US Army).

Man, has no one here some badges to show, I really feel like a solo entertainer ... :mrgreen:

Jens

Schuultz
07-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, I'm afraid most of us have never been in the military, Flammpanzer. We prefer to study it from the safety of a library, desk or PC. I do, however, plan to go through the 9 months when I'm done with University in 2 years.
Depending on how I liked that, I might choose to become an officer. Definitely won't join the Panzergrenadiers, though ^^.

Flammpanzer
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
We prefer to study it from the safety of a library, desk or PC.

:D ... well, im most cases, this is def. the better way to deal with "military" ...

Definitely won't join the Panzergrenadiers, though ^^.

Hm, I can really understand AND support that, I would rather recommend the Panzertruppe (more driving and less walking) ... ;-)

Well, I'm afraid most of us have never been in the military,

But okay, you are right - I was not aware of that before I started this thread; anyway, I got the impression in the last few months reading through the forum that at least a few of you here served.

Maybe somebody has something to show, I am still hoping ... :mrgreen:

Jens

Flammpanzer
07-05-2009, 03:26 PM
... and meanwhile some more "Marder-pics" resp. BW-stuff ... maybe you like them ... ;)

Jens

Schuultz
07-05-2009, 06:21 PM
IIRC, at least one forum-member served in the US Army, NickdFresh - might be wrong about that.
Rising Sun* often sounds as if he was at least a reservist at one point - again, I don't know for sure.

Hm, I can really understand AND support that, I would rather recommend the Panzertruppe (more driving and less walking) ... ;-)

I was actually thinking along the lines of Fallschirmjaeger - there's just something about jumping out of flying planes...

Looking at those pictures, they must be relatively old? I still see G3s and Steel Helmets?

Nickdfresh
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
IIRC, at least one forum-member served in the US Army, NickdFresh - might be wrong about that.
Rising Sun* often sounds as if he was at least a reservist at one point - again, I don't know for sure.

I did serve in the US Army and Reserve, and I believe RS* was a Digger Reservist towards the end of the Vietnam era, something about machine guns...

I'm a little hesitant to post them, but here are my patches:

http://images.milbadges.com/217/army_intelligence_&_security_command_ssi_n11088.gif

Tactical:

http://www.miluniform.com/ProductImages/shoulderpatches/namedcommands/intelsec_acu.jpg

The above is from "INSCOM," or Intelligence and Security Command. I'm not sure what we had to do with intelligence though. :)

I do have one story. As I was stationed in Maryland, I would frequently go out wearing my "BDUs" (fatigues) to run to the store or mall or whatever on the way home or back to the barracks.

Onetime in a mall store of some sort, this sort of unkempt looking younger guy's eyes became wide-as-coins as he pointed at me and said excitedly, "the satanists were wearing that patch on 'Unsolved Mysteries' last night!" So I looked back at him and pretended to run away in a panicked manner, then started laughing hysterically once I was out of their site... :D :evil:

"Unsolved Mysteries" was a TV show in the 1990s featuring Robert Stack hosting a series of dramatic reenactment of cold case crimes. In one episode (I saw later as a rerun), a group of satanists supposedly tried to abduct some girl for what was to be ritualistic sacrifice. The INSCOM patch has some occultist symbolism apparently that I am unaware of. In any case, that might be a shoe that fits as the commander of INSCOM in the 70s and to the early 1980s, a Major General Albert Stubblebine, was an avid proponent of using military psychics (called "remote viewers") and believe the West was at a serious disadvantage against the Godless-communists in the East as they had reportedly been studying ESP and psychokinesis since the 60s at least. His nickname was "spoon-bender" because he was also a big believer int he Uri Geller fraud. I believe Stubblebine also had an uncanny resemblance to actor Lee Marvin. There's more on him in the link below...

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/12/i-wish-that-hadnt-happened_09.html

This was my other patch from the 98th DIV (reservist training)...

http://images.military.com/ImageLibrary/98IDINS.GIF

Flammpanzer
07-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Ah, thanks for sharing, Nick! :D

Looking at those pictures, they must be relatively old? I still see G3s and Steel Helmets?

Yes, you are abs. right. The pics are from the mid 90s, the G-3 is not in use anymore (except in some special purpose roles I think, like as DMR in some units).

And btw you can see the funny mix of uniform-types: the old "Oliv" uniforms and the newer camouflage-pattern that was issued from 1993 on. I was lucky and got this camo-set from the beginning on, because the older unicolor "clothes" really look ugly to me :army:

Nowadays all German Army troops have the "Fleckentarn", which is very similar to the Danish camo pattern which was issued even earlier. These patterns were computer-designed in the 80s and relate much to the old Waffen-SS-camo-style.

Jens

flamethrowerguy
07-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Nowadays all German Army troops have the "Fleckentarn", which is very similar to the Danish camo pattern which was issued even earlier.

Sure? I remember reading that the Danish camo pattern is based on the German Flecktarn with just the brown color omitted.

Schuultz
07-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Well, depends on how you spin it. If you say that Flecktarn is based on the Wehrmacht/Waffen SS Erbsenmuster, the Danes had it before the Bundeswehr, as they adopted a lot of those old uniforms.
But then again, they adopted it from the Germans, so the Germans practically had it first, but theoretically 'based' it off the Dutch Erbsenmuster - can you imagine the shitstorm the Bundeswehr would be in if they said 'We copied an old SS camo.' ?

Rising Sun*
07-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Rising Sun* often sounds as if he's at least fairly drunk at most points, often because he is (and I'm in a position to know), so he can't be sure about much at any point.

However, through the fog of alcohol and time, here's his unit badge.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/282225-1/4-19-pow-lthorse

Quiz:

1. Why does an Australian unit, whose predecessor distinguished itself against Germany in WWI, wear a badge with the emblem of the English Prince of Wales with a German motto?

2. Why does that unit carry battle honours from WWI unequalled by any other Australian unit?

As for RS's stunningly unimpressive military service, he is shown here (third from right in a photo censored by both the Army and the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) making his only contribution to Australia's defence by helping the light horses breed. RS's spare breeding balls, which are somewhat smaller than his natural endowment, are shown carried on the horse behind and to right of second man from right.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/282244-2/holsworthy_1910

Schuultz
07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
So what exactly is the German motto of that unit?

Also, those feathers look a lot like ****s - just sayin'...

Also, both those images are recent uploads from the photo section. Coincidence or did you upload the unit badge?

Flammpanzer
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
ICH DIEN(E) means "I serve". But maybe these words are Welsh?

Anyway, I did not expect you being sooo old, RS.... :mrgreen:

Jens

pdf27
07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
It's been the motto of the Prince of Wales ever since he took it off John I of Bohemia at the Battle of Crécy in 1346...

Schuultz
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, they should try to fix it sometime. Ich Dien doesn't really make a lot of sense - at least not in modern German. That's why I didn't see what Dien is supposed to be - and Ich on its own wouldn't have been much of a motto.

flamethrowerguy
07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
can you imagine the shitstorm the Bundeswehr would be in if they said 'We copied an old SS camo.' ?

Dunno. Keep in mind that the German BGS/Bundespolizei (German Federal Police) adapted the Wehrmacht's "Sumpftarn-Muster" (marsh/tan pattern) - and no one cared.

Schuultz
07-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Because none of those Left idiots found out. If they want to ban War Merit medals because it's too militaristic for them, then you can trust them going apeshit if they found that out.

pdf27
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, they should try to fix it sometime. Ich Dien doesn't really make a lot of sense - at least not in modern German. That's why I didn't see what Dien is supposed to be - and Ich on its own wouldn't have been much of a motto.
Errr.... what? The Germans have got naff all to do with the Prince of Wales nowadays, and it would be an insult to the King of Bohemia the Black Prince had to kill in order to get the motto to change the spelling now.

Schuultz
07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't serious about it - It's obviously old spelling.

Iron Yeoman
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM

:D ... well, im most cases, this is def. the better way to deal with "military" ...

But okay, you are right - I was not aware of that before I started this thread; anyway, I got the impression in the last few months reading through the forum that at least a few of you here served.

Maybe somebody has something to show, I am still hoping ... :mrgreen:

Jens

Defintely go for the armoured route. My first unit was an officer training corps and the training was very heavily infantry based which got boring after a year or two. I transferred into a tank unit after that, far more fun.

Schuultz
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
The only worry I have is that tanks aren't really a weapon of the future, at least in my point of view.

I could also imagine (battle) helicopter pilot being pretty damn cool.

Chevan
08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.heraldicum.ru/russia/images/pvo.gif
http://www.heraldicum.ru/russia/images/pvo1.gif
The emblems of Anti-Air Defence troops of RF, where i did serve just 7 years back.

Chevan
08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm a little hesitant to post them, but here are my patches:
This was my other patch from the 98th DIV (reservist training)...

http://images.military.com/ImageLibrary/98IDINS.GIF

I would be very hesitant to post it too.:)
I/m puzzled what does mean such a emblem - the genocide of local indians of middle west?
Fear to asc what you did in 98th DIV?Collect the scalps and heads of poor people?
If you calls it as the "reservist training" - what to hell are you going to do in Real army?
:D;)

Nickdfresh
08-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I/m puzzled what does mean such a emblem - the genocide of local indians of middle west?
Fear to asc what you did in 98th DIV?Collect the scalps and heads of poor people?

The 98th was activated only in WWII (as indicated by its higher number), but unlike most was never deactivated after the War and turned into a New York regional reserve division.

The Indian head is an Iroquois, who were never in the mid-West and were based in New York and Canada. The Iroquois was a confederation of tribes, some of which fought for the United States during the American Revolution and War of 1812 while some fought for the British and Canadians. They also were very active in the French and Indian Wars previous to American Independence. I suppose we could have scalped Chechens in Afghanistan...

If you calls it as the "reservist training" - what to hell are you going to do in Real army?
:D;)

It was a training cadre unit of "drill sergeants" rather than an infantry division it was initially, designed for training an expanded, conscript wartime army...

Rising Sun*
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Your concern for the Indians is understandable, coming from a man whose unit emblem has arrows as one of its main symbols. ;) :D

Iron Yeoman
08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
The only worry I have is that tanks aren't really a weapon of the future, at least in my point of view.

I could also imagine (battle) helicopter pilot being pretty damn cool.

Tanks aren't the future? Wash your mouth out with soap and water young man :evil:

You never know what's around the corner (Iran anyone?) :shock:

Schuultz
08-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Even if we went to war with Iran, I can already tell you that the tanks would do nothing but a mop-up/symbolic role, because this is how the war would most likely occur:

Step 1: Bomb the shit out of the cities
Step 2: Send in the drones & helicopters to bomb the shit out of the ruins
Step 3: Send in the Infantry & Light Armoured with Helicopter support to mop up the remainders.
Step 4: Profit.

(This obviously ignores a possible Iranian nuclear retaliation strike, which I have no idea how the world would react)

I'm saying that tanks are a weapon of the past because with the rise (and deadliness) of helicopters and drones, Armour is only really needed in a personnel support role, for which heavy tanks aren't ideal/necessary.

Tank battles like in the days of WW2 are a thing of the past, Heavy tanks have become little more than a symbol/leftover of the mechanized warfare of the 20th century, just like Drones/UAVs will be of the 21st.

pdf27
08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Ummm, Schuultz, were you actually paying any attention to the invasion of Iraq? Heavy armoured vehicles are a vital part of combined arms warfare, and no form of aerial weaponry can substitute for that. Several of the effects of armour (mass, shock and persistence for starters) cannot adequately be substituted for by any form of aircraft now, and IMHO probably never will be.

Edit: oh yes, and 3,000th post...

Rising Sun*
08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Edit: oh yes, and 3,000th post...

Congratulations!

Now you've joined me in the elite Red X / No rank shown cohort.

Is this a warning to other mods not to be too ambitious?

Or have we progressed beyond mere mortal ranks?

pdf27
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Nope, it's just your crummy computer. Mine shows my rank as three pips, and yours as a crown and a pip.

Rising Sun*
08-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Nope, it's just your crummy computer. Mine shows my rank as three pips, and yours as a crown and a pip.

Any idea why mine's been showing nothing for the past few weeks?

I've tried all the user settings with no effect.

It goes back to the time when there was some work done on the site by admin or whomever.

tankgeezer
08-07-2009, 06:55 AM
The practice of scalping fallen enemy was more the idea of the European settlers than the Indians they fought against. Although I believe that a few Indians started the practice to horrify the settlers, to scare them off. The settlers however made a case to their governing bodies, who then instituted the "scalp bounty" a few coins paid for each scalp delivered to the local Magistrates. The Indians expanded the practice in retaliation.

pdf27
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
This is wierd. At work I can see both ranks, at home I can only see mine (and then only with Opera, not IE).

Nickdfresh
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't see either (using Firefox 3.5.2)

Rising Sun*
08-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I can't see either (using Firefox 3.5.2)

Maybe I've been cashiered.

dbloge
08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
heres mine

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e35/dbloge/misc/24thid.jpg

doug

navyson
08-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Cool! That's boxerrick41's avatar. Something to do with armor, right?

forager
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Earned these and some others.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

dbloge
08-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Cool! That's boxerrick41's avatar. Something to do with armor, right?

24th ID (mechanized)

doug

Chevan
08-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Even if we went to war with Iran, I can already tell you that the tanks would do nothing but a mop-up/symbolic role, because this is how the war would most likely occur:

Step 1: Bomb the shit out of the cities
Step 2: Send in the drones & helicopters to bomb the shit out of the ruins
Step 3: Send in the Infantry & Light Armoured with Helicopter support to mop up the remainders.
Step 4: Profit.

(This obviously ignores a possible Iranian nuclear retaliation strike, which I have no idea how the world would react)

I'm saying that tanks are a weapon of the past because with the rise (and deadliness) of helicopters and drones, Armour is only really needed in a personnel support role, for which heavy tanks aren't ideal/necessary.

If "shit" will actively use the compact Stingers or StrelaM1 missles or ZSU-23, you will not be very happy , driving the "damn cool" helicopter.
I'm not saying the newest Anti-tank RPG. Only the TANK might to hold several hits of it, being ( if lucky) still functional.As it was in Iraq.
No OTHER vehicles can .

Chevan
08-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Your concern for the Indians is understandable, coming from a man whose unit emblem has arrows as one of its main symbols. ;) :D
i was puzzled myself what to hell has the arrows deal to Anti-Aircraft defence:)
But my senour commander has explained that the Anti-Aircraft troops were initially subordinated to Artillery Command.Those guys loves the arrows and shells on emblems:)
My concern about Indians has come from point - in russia we usialy post the symbols of wearpon on hand-emblems, that your troops use.
Tanks troops has the tank on emblem,artillery has the gun.
I/m scary for Nick, his 98 pobably did use the.... Indian red heads to hit the enemy.:D

Nickdfresh
08-11-2009, 04:49 AM
I/m scary for Nick, his 98 pobably did use the.... Indian red heads to hit the enemy.:D

Well, we were pretty outdated. ;)

Chevan
08-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Well, we were pretty outdated. ;)
all the satanists are outdated to some extend:)

Schuultz
08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
If "shit" will actively use the compact Stingers or StrelaM1 missles or ZSU-23, you will not be very happy , driving the "damn cool" helicopter.
I'm not saying the newest Anti-tank RPG. Only the TANK might to hold several hits of it, being ( if lucky) still functional.As it was in Iraq.
No OTHER vehicles can .

That's what flares are for :D

No, but seriously, there is no weapon on the modern battlefield, to which a modern army doesn't have an effective counter (A-Bomb is the exception, again).

You always have to hope for the best, right :D

tankgeezer
08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Here are the insignia for my Division,and Battalion. 2nd. Battalion, 81st armor Regiment, part of the 6th Brigade, 1st Armored Division.

Clave
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
85 Squadron RAF

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/insignia/great_britain/RAF_85Sqn.png

Here's a t-shirt with one of our 'aircraft' on it:

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/products/tshirts_printfection/Bristol_BH2_GB_1.png

Nickdfresh
08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
all the satanists are outdated to some extend:)

Well, we do need to keep our traditions!

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/army_info_church_of_satan.htm

Flammpanzer
09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Very nice badge, Clave! I always liked the british ones very much cause they often seem to be more "detailed" than those from other nations.

Jens

Schuultz
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
They're a lot more fancy, that's for sure. But I think you can trace that back to their Royal titles.

If you look at the Emblems of Prussian (or other Royal German) military units up until 1918, you'll find the same amount of 'fanciness'.

Higher taxes aside, I kind of envy the British for having somehow managed to retain their royalties throughout the times - even if only in a representative role.

Chevan
09-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Well, we do need to keep our traditions!

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/army_info_church_of_satan.htm
HISTORICAL ROOTS: The Church of Satan is an eclectic body that traces its origin to many sources - classical voodoo, the Hell-Fire Club of eighteenth century England, the ritual magic of Aleister Crowley, and the Black Order of Germany in the 1920s and 1930s.
It seems you claimed yo have a some of German-born ancestors :)
I hope they were not from Black order of Germany?

Chevan
09-15-2009, 01:40 AM
That's what flares are for :D

No, but seriously, there is no weapon on the modern battlefield, to which a modern army doesn't have an effective counter (A-Bomb is the exception, again).

You always have to hope for the best, right :D

Sure you right.
For sake of true i have to add- the best wearpon though is much more expensive then the accordingly its contr-wearpon. ( Tank and RPG, hilicopter and AA missle and est). So you have to own the serious finantial superiority to hope to win the modern invasion.