PDA

View Full Version : Russian tank insignia

Schallburg
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey guys.

Im looking for russian tank insignia, especially late war guard units!
(Its for my Flames of war, russian guards army).

Cheers...

Egorka
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
marking on russian tanks
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49288&highlight=markings+tanks

flamethrowerguy
02-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Soviet unit insignia:

Schallburg
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys!
I would just wish i could read russian... Its gonna be quite a problem writing the "grafitti", on the tanks, as i actually dont know what the hell im writing! :-)

Uyraell
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Our Russian Members can better assist you.
As a very rough guide: C = S, P = R , pi = P, /_\ = D , H = N, |/| = I, and pi with a comma instead of a plain vertical = L. The x with a vertical bar through it = Ch or sch. The reversed "7" = G. The o with a vertical through it = f. The y with a vertical through it = either u or y. the reversed 3 or plain "3" = V , close enough. R reversed = IA or Ya.

Using the above rough system, I find I can even read Cyrillic text, as long as I take a bit of time over it. Once you recognise the letter patterns, the words become plain enough, and you can sort the transliteration from there.

Two commonly seen phrases : "Va Stalin" = For Stalin. "Na Rodina" = "For the motherland" (this sometimes appears as "Na Rodinu" = For the Fatherland").

Hope this info helps you, small amount though it is.

Regards, Uyraell.

Egorka
02-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Which ones exactly you want to know about?

Schallburg
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Which ones exactly you want to know about?

Hey sorry for the late answer mate!
I would like to know about the most "common" ones used (if there is such a thing!).