PDA

View Full Version : Operation Valkyrie

Nickdfresh
11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
The Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VWaE859igQ&feature=related

Krad42
11-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I recently watched the History channel special involving the attempts on Hitler with clips and behind the scenes looks at the movie. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, but it looks like he did the character of von Stauffenberg justice. The movie will be interesting to watch.

flamethrowerguy
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Personally I like Cruise as an actor. However, here in Germany have been major discussions about him playing v. Stauffenberg. Mostly because of his Scientology activities.

namvet
11-26-2008, 09:25 PM
I didn't even know it was already released

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/valkyrie.jpg

Nickdfresh
11-26-2008, 10:03 PM
It isn't. I think it comes out Christmas Day...

namvet
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
It isn't. I think it comes out Christmas Day...

I hope your right. the trailer you put up said coming summer of 08 !!!!

kallinikosdrama1992
12-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I hope your right. the trailer you put up said coming summer of 08 !!!!

there is another trailer that says january 2009 .

Dara
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
It's supposed to open on December 25th. I find it difficult to watch anything where Tom Cruise is trying to play a character that is based on a historical or real figure/person. I am always aware that it is Tom Cruise playing another person and I never get lost in his characters because he is such a strong personality. However, when I watch actors like Johnny Depp, Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Ed Norton, etc... the characters that they are portraying is what I notice most and not the fact that it's a specific actor.

Tom Cruise will always be Tom Cruise, no matter what character he plays and that's probably why I'll wait for this to come out on HBO or something.

flamethrowerguy
12-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I find it difficult to watch anything where Tom Cruise is trying to play a character that is based on a historical or real figure/person.

IMHO Tom Cruise playing Ron Kovic in "Born on the Fourth of July" was marvellous!

Dara
12-22-2008, 10:53 AM
IMHO Tom Cruise playing Ron Kovic in "Born on the Fourth of July" was marvellous!
I agree with you on this. I think that was the only picture that I can say he didn't remind me of himself and that the character he was playing came through very well. In anything else, however, it's hard, for me personally, to see him as someone other than himself.

flamethrowerguy
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with you on this. I think that was the only picture that I can say he didn't remind me of himself and that the character he was playing came through very well. In anything else, however, it's hard, for me personally, to see him as someone other than himself.

I mentioned this before on another occasion I guess but over here in Germany there has been quite a commotion when announced that scientologist Cruise is going to play von Stauffenberg.

mavericck
12-25-2008, 08:18 PM
It was an amazing movie!

namvet
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
i've seen the same movies
the movies was Stauffenberg
a german film

looks like same

is this it???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388437/

Schuultz
01-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I mentioned this before on another occasion I guess but over here in Germany there has been quite a commotion when announced that scientologist Cruise is going to play von Stauffenberg.

A commotion which I don't understand. He's an actor, his personal life should have nothing to do with the roles he portrayed. If he capable of bringing the character across and doesn't hide any Scientology symbols in his acting, I couldn't care less if he believes in God, Allah, Buddah or a science-fiction author...

On a different note, I saw that in the trailer, they also showed his time in the Afrika Korps. How much of the movie is dedicated to this part of his life?
The Afrika Korps has always been something I was very interested in.

Nickdfresh
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
A commotion which I don't understand. He's an actor, his personal life should have nothing to do with the roles he portrayed. If he capable of bringing the character across and doesn't hide any Scientology symbols in his acting, I couldn't care less if he believes in God, Allah, Buddah or a science-fiction author...

On a different note, I saw that in the trailer, they also showed his time in the Afrika Korps. How much of the movie is dedicated to this part of his life?
The Afrika Korps has always been something I was very interested in.

I normally wouldn't care. But Scientology has been tied to exploitative, cult like tendencies and there's a clear difference as to how Hollywood celebs such as Cruise, and his first wife, Mimi Rogers are treated, and how a commoner is treated. In any case, it was Tom Cruise that made it everybodies' business when he went off on Matt Lauer with his "I know the history of psychiatry" rant about three years ago as he had the gaul to attack Brooke Shields for taking medication to treat her adult ADD...

As for the Africa Korp, I doubt they dwell much on that. Von Stauffenberg was wounded in an air strike by the RAF desert air force while on a recon mission early on....

namvet
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I finally saw it today. my opinion. but i thought it was really good. very intriguing. even though I already knew the outcome. still it was really good. Cruise did a crediable job here but the supporting actors get the cudo's from me. if you don't like blood guts and violence this is one to see. virtually none. they stayed right on the plot. As for the Africa Korp very little. just in the opening scenes.

Schuultz
01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
that's somewhat disappointing, simply because I really looked forward to the Afrikakorps scenes...

namvet
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
that's somewhat disappointing, simply because I really looked forward to the Afrikakorps scenes...

they did make a movie on this. its old. 1951. James Mason as Rommel in the dessert fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lE9Vlthvqs and I haven't seen it in years...........

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 05:09 AM
I haven't seen it. I have no desire to see it. But I will probably watch it when it comes on free to air TV if nothing else worth watching is on.

Cruise is a good actor, but I have a bit of trouble with a (variously reported) 5'4" to 5'7" bloke playing a 6'3" bloke. Someone with Max von Sydow's height, looks and presence strikes me as being truer to the real von Stauffenberg. Still, when did Hollywood ever worry about getting it right, such as in the laughable film Pearl Harbor?

I don't know that the Scientology issue is irrelevant. Somewhere there may be a line which is crossed where an actor is strongly associated with a particular cause or belief. For the sake of argument, assume that Eichmann escaped from Israeli custody before his execution. Would we be happy with him playing a leading role in a film, or would his close association with the Nazi regime and in particlar the Holocaust disqualify him from all public exposure?

Schuultz
01-06-2009, 07:38 AM
I haven't seen it. I have no desire to see it. But I will probably watch it when it comes on free to air TV if nothing else worth watching is on.

Cruise is a good actor, but I have a bit of trouble with a (variously reported) 5'4" to 5'7" bloke playing a 6'3" bloke. Someone with Max von Sydow's height, looks and presence strikes me as being truer to the real von Stauffenberg. Still, when did Hollywood ever worry about getting it right, such as in the laughable film Pearl Harbor?

I don't know that the Scientology issue is irrelevant. Somewhere there may be a line which is crossed where an actor is strongly associated with a particular cause or belief. For the sake of argument, assume that Eichmann escaped from Israeli custody before his execution. Would we be happy with him playing a leading role in a film, or would his close association with the Nazi regime and in particlar the Holocaust disqualify him from all public exposure?

Well, if it's Cruise's height you take issue with, I can make you feel better: He stands on boxes a lot, so it isn't all too noticeable :mrgreen:

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, if it's Cruise's height you take issue with, I can make you feel better: He stands on boxes a lot, so it isn't all too noticeable :mrgreen:

Rather considerate of him.

Other hopelessly short actors have made their co-actors stand in trenches.

Of course, that was in an era where the labour to dig a trench was cheaper than that to build a box. ;)

Schuultz
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Rather considerate of him.

Other hopelessly short actors have made their co-actors stand in trenches.

Of course, that was in an era where the labour to dig a trench was cheaper than that to build a box. ;)

Hell, why can't everybody just be short?

Would be very ecological and economical. You waste less resources because you don't need big clothes, you weight less (theoretically speaking) and there's more space for you and for others in airplanes. What's not to like? Except the fact that, well, you're short. :mrgreen:

I can see the headlines: Greenpeace asks people: Grow shorter or amputate your legs!!!

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Hell, why can't everybody just be short?

Would be very ecological and economical. You waste less resources because you don't need big clothes, you weight less (theoretically speaking) and there's more space for you and for others in airplanes. What's not to like? Except the fact that, well, you're short. :mrgreen:

I can see the headlines: Greenpeace asks people: Grow shorter or amputate your legs!!!

Frankly, it's because short people don't suck up the problems.

All the problems are in the upper atmosphere, so the nearer you are to it the nearer you are to solving the problem, and the nearer you are to God.

Tall people matter.

It has long been recognised that short people are part of the problem, not the solution.

Short People
by Randy Newman

Short People got no reason
To live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
Round here

Short People are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
'Round here

Schuultz
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
hahaha, where the heck did you find that song?

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
hahaha, where the heck did you find that song?

Age, mate.

It was all over the place a few years ago.

Probably several decades ago, but at my age anything before a couple of days ago when they feed me through a different coloured straw to make me think it's a new day could be any year, including next year. :D

Anyway, here's Randy being short:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

namvet
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM

All the problems are in the upper atmosphere, so the nearer you are to it the nearer you are to solving the problem, and the nearer you are to God.

Tall people matter.

It has long been recognised that short people are part of the problem, not the solution.

thanks for the insult SON. the taller they are the harder they fall.

namvet
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
and BTY Newmans career was flushed down the stool by that song. even tall people wanted him strung up by his nuts !!!!

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
thanks for the insult SON. the taller they are the harder they fall.

Would you care to clarify exactly what it is that has got up your arse about my posts, FATHER?

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
and BTY Newmans career was flushed down the stool by that song. even tall people wanted him strung up by his nuts !!!!

You could do with a small dose of a quality called 'a sense of humour'.

namvet
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Would you care to clarify exactly what it is that has got up your arse about my posts, FATHER?

I would think an insult like that would be obvious to a moron.

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I would think an insult like that would be obvious to a moron.

As, despite my wife's ill-informed accusations, I am not a moron, I should be grateful if you would elucidate.

namvet
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
You could do with a small dose of a quality called 'a sense of humour'.

making fun of someone's height is not humor. its an insult.

namvet
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
As, despite my wife's ill-informed accusations, I am not a moron, I should be grateful if you would elucidate.

im short. so ?????

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
im short. so ?????

Get over it, for ****'s sake.

Do you think I or anyone else on this forum knew, or cared, about that?

Even if we did, you aren't going to grow any taller, are you?

You met the USN height requirement on enlistment, didn't you?

You served long (in the sense of extended) and well in the USN, didn't you?

Do any of your long service shipmates say: "Gee, namvet, we'd like you more if you were a few inches taller, but as you're a shortarse we won't invite you to the ship reunion or have a beer with you." ?

Or, "And, by the way, if the ship went down, we wouldn't have saved you because you're a shortarse." ?

You're exhibiting the small man's syndrome, which isn't somehting I'd expect from a man with your service where a man isn't measured by his shipmates by his height but by his conduct.

namvet
01-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Get over it, for ****'s sake.

Do you think I or anyone else on this forum knew, or cared, about that?

Even if we did, you aren't going to grow any taller, are you?

You met the USN height requirement on enlistment, didn't you?

You served long (in the sense of extended) and well in the USN, didn't you?

Do any of your long service shipmates say: "Gee, namvet, we'd like you more if you were a few inches taller, but as you're a shortarse we won't invite you to the ship reunion or have a beer with you." ?

Or, "And, by the way, if the ship went down, we wouldn't have saved you because you're a shortarse." ?

You're exhibiting the small man's syndrome, which isn't somehting I'd expect from a man with your service where a man isn't measured by his shipmates by his height but by his conduct.

none of this shit justifies your insult. and keep my service out of it. or ill rip you a brand new ******* !!!!!

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
none of this shit justifies your insult. and keep my service out of it. or ill rip you a brand new ******* !!!!!

Thank you for yet another rather florid but entirely unedifying and quite mystifying comment.

Before you rip me a brand new ******* (although as I age I think there is something to be said for multiple vents, which perhaps is something you should think about trying to reduce in number as the source of your comments) for giving you shit about your service, could you do me the small favour of specifying exactly the words I used to cause you to think that (a) I insulted you (b) I said something to denigrate your service and (c) I sought tenders for modifications to my arsehole.

You might also like to think about how aggressive you have been in response to my restrained posts in response to your somewhat hysterical responses to mine, and whether you would really like me to unleash my tongue in response to yours.

How about being a good chap and just responding to what people say, rather than what you as an apparently short person think they say.

namvet
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you for yet another rather florid but entirely unedifying and quite mystifying comment.

Before you rip me a brand new ******* (although as I age I think there is something to be said for multiple vents, which perhaps is something you should think about trying to reduce in number as the source of your comments) for giving you shit about your service, could you do me the small favour of specifying exactly the words I used to cause you to think that (a) I insulted you (b) I said something to denigrate your service and (c) I sought tenders for modifications to my arsehole.

You might also like to think about how aggressive you have been in response to my restrained posts in response to your somewhat hysterical responses to mine, and whether you would really like me to unleash my tongue in response to yours.

How about being a good chap and just responding to what people say, rather than what you as an apparently short person think they say.

Tall people matter.

Quote:
Short People
by Randy Newman

To live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Round here

Short People are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
'Round here

you think this funny??? re establishing your master race???? tall blonde blue eyes???? gonna ban me for defending this???? your the one that stuck your foot in your mouth. your susposed to be a mod. act like it. insulting members is not your job description.

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
you think this funny??? re establishing your master race???? tall blonde blue eyes???? gonna ban me for defending this???? your the one that stuck your foot in your mouth. your susposed to be a mod. act like it. insulting members is not your job description.

Sorry, but at my age my memory ain't the best.

Could you be a good chap and point me to the posts where I said anything about the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes, not to mention banning you for defending the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes?

It sounds almost like one of us has a touch of the Nazi paranoia about us, doesn't it?

Why should I ban you for something I don't think you said?

Clearly I have no idea what has occurred in this thread, so be a dear and show me where I said these things which offend you so much, especially the bits about the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes (ignoring the fact that, conventionally, eyes are rarely blonde and never tall).

I'm sorry to have to inform you that not only am I supposed to be a mod, but I actually am one.

As previously requested with no result, could you specify exactly where I insulted you, so that this will be seen by other mods who will deal with me for my tragsgression? You may appreciate that unsupported complaints never go anywhere.

As it would be inappropriate for me to to deal with your complaint about me, you might wish to direct your complaint by PM to one of the other mods or to the supermod, being Firefly.

P.S. May I say that insulting members is not in my job desription as a mod, and that I do not do it any more than any other mod who has to put up with the incessant drivel of idiots. But in my own time I happily offer insulting comments to ****ing idiots who richly deserve it. You, however, richly deserve it in light of your somewhat bizarre conduct in this thread but on the history of your generally worthwhile posts on the board in general I have refrained from insulting you, regardless of what you may, in your thin skinned mind, think.

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Might I say, as a general caution to the uninitiated amatuer film reviewer like me, that this thread shows how unwise it is to offer any comment on a film one has not seen and about nothing to do with which others have strong views.

Be warned!

namvet
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but at my age my memory ain't the best.

Could you be a good chap and point me to the posts where I said anything about the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes, not to mention banning you for defending the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes?

It sounds almost like one of us has a touch of the Nazi paranoia about us, doesn't it?

Why should I ban you for something I don't think you said?

Clearly I have no idea what has occurred in this thread, so be a dear and show me where I said these things which offend you so much, especially the bits about the master race and the tall blonde blue eyes (ignoring the fact that, conventionally, eyes are rarely blonde and never tall).

I'm sorry to have to inform you that not only am I supposed to be a mod, but I actually am one.

As previously requested with no result, could you specify exactly where I insulted you, so that this will be seen by other mods who will deal with me for my tragsgression? You may appreciate that unsupported complaints never go anywhere.

As it would be inappropriate for me to to deal with your complaint about me, you might wish to direct your complaint by PM to one of the other mods or to the supermod, being Firefly.

P.S. May I say that insulting members is not in my job desription as a mod, and that I do not do it any more than any other mod who has to put up with the incessant drivel of idiots. But in my own time I happily offer insulting comments to ****ing idiots who richly deserve it. You, however, richly deserve it in light of your somewhat bizarre conduct in this thread but on the history of your generally worthwhile posts on the board in general I have refrained from insulting you, regardless of what you may, in your thin skinned mind, think.

so you agree that taller people are far more superior to smaller???? that IS what you said. the rest is moot

Rising Sun*
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
so you agree that taller people are far more superior to smaller???? that IS what you said. the rest is moot

I didn't say that but, whether you like it or not, of course tall people are regarded by almost everyone as superior to small people. (They cannot be "far more" 'superior' as 'superior' is already a superlative.)

Otherwise bed shops would have people queued up to buy pygmy beds instead of queen and king size beds; the regulation height for a basketball hoop would be four feet instead of ten feet high; and surfboards would be made of laminated sanitary napkins.

There is nothing moot about it.

Try to get a sport scholarship to an American college, in any sport apart from dwarf bowling as the bowling ball, if you're four feet tall.

namvet
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
and I thought I heard it all

Schuultz
01-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, how about we all just calm down.

I made a joke that people should be small, and listed ridiculous arguments for it.
Rising Sun responded to my joke by making the exactly opposite argument, obviously meant as a joke as well.

Nobody meant to offend anybody, and the entire argument that tall people are superior to short ones is ridiculous, as size has nothing to do with intellect or skill.

It is ridiculous and pointless to try to categorize somebodies skills on his appearance.

So just shut up about it, both of you.:rolleyes:

colonel hogan
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
is it any good i may see it tomrrow

Keystone Two-Eight
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
is it any good i may see it tomrrow

Try perusing through the previous 3 pages of posts guy! There are enough reviews and opinions (interspersed between arguements and threats) to make an edumacated guess as to whether it's worth watching or not. personally, I dislike Tom Cruise for his condescending demeanor to the rest of the world, but on a friends suggestion, I'm going to go see it anyway. My friend is a HUGE WWII armchair historian and he says (if nothing else) the accuracy of the vehicles,planes etc is worth the price of admission.

Insofar as the short thing goes, I like short people........Especially short, blonde haired girls.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************
I rear ended a car a few days ago.

The driver got out of the other car, and he was REALLY short, and man was he pissed!!!

He looked up at me and said "I am NOT happy!".

I said, "Then which one are you?

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************

Inside every short man is a tall man doubled over in pain.

Confucius say: Short man who dance with tall woman get bust in mouth.

"It is better to have loved a short man, than never to have loved a tall."

I'm glad you're tall. It gives me more of you to dislike.

"In elementary school, in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line
from smallest to tallest. What is the logic? Do tall people burn slower?" -- Warren Hutcherson

You're so tall that even in the summer time you still have snow on your head.

Didn't your mother tell you not to be long.

Omar Bradley
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
In this photo (Hitler at the Wolfschanze, July 15, 1944, Stauffenberg -left- Field Marshal Kietel -right) from The Unmaking Of Aldolf Hitler ~ Eugene Davidison, Stauffenberg looks a lot like Cruise.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/kdl2525/01-14-2009081512AM-1.jpg

I saw Valkyrie last Thursday. Not sure what references the screen writers used but it was right out of William L Shirer's The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich except for four unimportant scenes that I noticed.

1. When Stauffenberg armed the bomb it was in the anteroom of Keitel's quarters after returning there to retrieve his hat and belt while heading to the fateful meeting. Not while changing his shirt in meeting building.

2. In the scene where Beck shoots himself after the conspirators were rounded up by Fromm he actually only wounded himself and failed again after a second attempt and the coup de grace was administered by a seargent.

3. It wasn't von Tresckow whom went to retrive the failed bomb from Brandt, it was an officer from his staff, Schlabrendorff.

4. I'm thinking...I know there was one more.

Something to think about: It was Brandt whom Tresckow got to carry the failed bomb onto the plane and Brandt, again, whom moved Stauffenberg's briefcase to the other side of the large oak table leg after Stauffenberg asked him to watch it while he pretended to take a phone call. It was the moving of the briefcase to the other side of the table leg that saved Hitler from the blast and killed Brandt.

It is estimated that almost 5000 people were arrested after the July 20 plot. And it was piano wire and meat hooks that dispatched most of them.

namvet
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
In this photo (Hitler at the Wolfschanze, July 15, 1944, Stauffenberg -left- Field Marshal Kietel -right) from The Unmaking Of Aldolf Hitler ~ Eugene Davidison, Stauffenberg looks a lot like Cruise.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/kdl2525/01-14-2009081512AM-1.jpg

I saw Valkyrie last Thursday. Not sure what references the screen writers used but it was right out of William L Shirer's The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich except for four unimportant scenes that I noticed.

1. When Stauffenberg armed the bomb it was in the anteroom of Keitel's quarters after returning there to retrieve his hat and belt while heading to the fateful meeting. Not while changing his shirt in meeting building.

2. In the scene where Beck shoots himself after the conspirators were rounded up by Fromm he actually only wounded himself and failed again after a second attempt and the coup de grace was administered by a seargent.

3. It wasn't von Tresckow whom went to retrive the failed bomb from Brandt, it was an officer from his staff, Schlabrendorff.

4. I'm thinking...I know there was one more.

Something to think about: It was Brandt whom Tresckow got to carry the failed bomb onto the plane and Brandt, again, whom moved Stauffenberg's briefcase to the other side of the large oak table leg after Stauffenberg asked him to watch it while he pretended to take a phone call. It was the moving of the briefcase to the other side of the table leg that saved Hitler from the blast and killed Brandt.

It is estimated that almost 5000 people were arrested after the July 20 plot. And it was piano wire and meat hooks that dispatched most of them.

your right. I see the resemblance between Stauffenberg and Cruise. im going to rent it when it comes out on DVD. I wanna see it again.

And it was piano wire and meat hooks that dispatched most of them.

and Hiter had the executions filmed as well.

Schuultz
01-21-2009, 07:46 AM
And wasn't the Wehrmacht forced to change their salute from the standard army salute to the Hitlergruss after this, something the Officers had tried to avoid as long as possible?

flamethrowerguy
01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
That's right. Most oftenly rejected this order was supposed to "strengthen the Wehrmacht's loyalty" to Hitler.

Schuultz
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
That's right. Most oftenly rejected this order was supposed to "strengthen the Wehrmacht's loyalty" to Hitler.

Which is why I think the scene in Band of Brothers is pretty unlikely, when the surrendering German officer is seemingly so used to the Hitlergruss that he accidentally does that instead of the normal military salute, before realizing his mistake and switching the salute.

CliSwe
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z304/CliffS_2007/th_TomCruiseValkyrieStill250109.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z304/CliffS_2007/?action=view&current=TomCruiseValkyrieStill250109.jpg)
Returning to the topic: I scanned this pic from the local paper (apologies for the resultant poor quality). Have a look at the imitation PzKpfW-IV on the right: you can see the add-on dummy tracks & bogies. Pretty poor choice of still for a promo, don't you think?

Cheers,
Cliff