PDA

View Full Version : Movies that can make you cry

Moreheaddriller
10-13-2008, 07:15 PM
There are plenty of movies otu there and out of all of them theres only a select few that can start the water works any of you got any movies that get to you

P.S. For some reason my dog skip gets me every time
http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/my_dog_skip_ver1.jpg

navyson
10-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Saving Private Ryan:
I know the scene is set up to be sad, but it still gets me. When it shows Mrs. Ryan washing dishes and the car carrying the military attaches and pastor pull up to the house and she sinks down in grief on the porch when she sees them get out of the car. Touching.

kallinikosdrama1992
10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
i agree with navyson
Saving Private Ryan
Another moment that makes me sad is the one when Caparzo gets hit by the sniper and tells doc to copy the letter he had wrote for his father in case he die cause is full in blood

Rising Sun*
10-14-2008, 06:29 AM
I agree with navyson. That scene is a real choker.

Can't think of the film or its title, but there's one where two or three military wives go down the street in the married quarters to inform another wife that her husband had been killed in Vietnam, while other wives dread their approach as nobody knows who it will be.

Also, The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) and aspects of Born on the Fourth of July, among other films.

There were some moving scenes in the television series China Beach.

Nickdfresh
10-14-2008, 06:37 AM
The last sequence of "The Thin Red Line" is a tear-jerker...

1PUK
10-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Can't think of the film or its title, but there's one where two or three military wives go down the street in the married quarters to inform another wife that her husband had been killed in Vietnam, while other wives dread their approach as nobody knows who it will be.

The film was called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson.

navyson
10-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Geez, You men are soft cocks, i cant believe you cryed. Cheers
Maybe we all have soft spots in our hearts for our mothers....and wives.:)

herman2
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I saw this movie about this guy who tried to save this other guy in the battle field and a bomb went off and he died. I don't know the name of the movie, but it was real sad. Maybe you saw it. It was during the war somewhere in Europe, starring that guy who played really great. I think he is dead now in real life, but he was dam good actor. What a sad movie.I wish I knew the name of the movie so I could watch it again. If anyone knows the name, let me know,I would appreciate it.

namvet
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
ill go with Schindler's List. pretty tuff sitting thru that...............

George Eller
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
-

Not crying, but misty eyed:

The Fighting Sullivans (especially the ending scene)

The Wings of Eagles (closing scene)

Mr Roberts (closing scene)

Heaven Knows Mr Allison (toward the end)

-

Rising Sun*
10-15-2008, 07:08 AM
The film was called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson.

Thanks.

I've tried to find that scene on YouTube but can't. I did, however, find this clip. It ain't a choker, but it's nice. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AewIZfUk

navyson
10-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks.

I've tried to find that scene on YouTube but can't. I did, however, find this clip. It ain't a choker, but it's nice. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AewIZfUk
I loved that scene! It was in the deleted outtakes.

Rising Sun*
10-15-2008, 07:43 AM
I loved that scene! It was in the deleted outtakes.

Thanks for that.

I couldn't remember it in the movie, but it's a long time since I saw the movie and I just assumed that I'd forgotten it.

flamethrowerguy
10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
No WW2 movie (but since "We were soldiers" isn't either...).
"Black Hawk Down" , the death of CPL. James E. "Jamie" Smith.

aly j
10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Ive got a sad one for you, called A Midnight Clear. It tugs on youre heart strings.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_movies/1202-a-midnight-clear/

Nickdfresh
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
The part in "Full Metal Jacket" where the acting platoon leader, and PVT (now SGT) Joker's bootcamp friend, is killed by a sniper, dying slowly...

Nickdfresh
10-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Saving Private Ryan:
I know the scene is set up to be sad, but it still gets me. When it shows Mrs. Ryan washing dishes and the car carrying the military attaches and pastor pull up to the house and she sinks down in grief on the porch when she sees them get out of the car. Touching.

Actually, I find the sequence where the medic, Wade, bleeds to death after being riddled by an MG-42, to be probably one of the most upsetting in all war films...

Rising Sun*
10-17-2008, 03:59 AM
when bambis mother dies

That comment actually relates to WWII.

I've posted this in another thread, but there was a great deal of resentment among many Australian soldiers towards American troops in Australia who were much better paid and much more attractive to some Australian women.

During the scene where Bambi cries out "Where's my mother?" an Australian soldier stood up in the theatre and yelled out "She's out with a bloody Yank!", which got great applause from the audience.

navyson
10-17-2008, 06:52 AM
when bambis mother dies
Actually, when I was little and saw the movie for the first time, it did make me cry.:(

Rising Sun*
10-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Actually, when I was little and saw the movie for the first time, it did make me cry.:(

Old Yeller hit me a lot harder as a kid when Tommy Kirk (can't remember his character's name) had to kill Old Yeller.

Bambi was sad but it was just a cartoon to me as a kid.

navyson
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Old Yeller hit me a lot harder as a kid when Tommy Kirk (can't remember his character's name) had to kill Old Yeller.

Bambi was sad but it was just a cartoon to me as a kid.

Wow, it's been years since I saw that movie, that WAS sad. It was even sad when reading the book. I recently found the book "Savage Sam" by Fred Gipson about the "son" of Old Yeller. I haven't read that since my teen years, so couldn't tell you much about it. (I haven't found my "Old Yeller" book....hmm)

downwithpeace
10-17-2008, 06:25 PM
War movies don't make me cry, the last movie to make me cry was Two Brothers.

Hauptmann
12-05-2008, 07:20 PM
The only film I've cried to is The Green Mile.

kamehouse
12-06-2008, 03:22 AM
I cried at the end of Titanic when DiCaprio drown in the frozen sea leaving Kate Winslet all alone.For some reason I also cry at the end of Forrest Gump when Jenny dies leaving Forrest alone with his son.
Can't help it,I am a very sensitive guy.

navyson
12-06-2008, 07:23 AM
I get "choked up" at the end of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King when Aragorn and Arwen and all the subjects bow to Frodo and Sam. It's not a sad part, I guess it's the honor given to them that does it for me.

Or, if you happen to have the extended versions of the trilogy, when the elves come to help at the siege in The Two Towers. (Always wished it had been written that way in the book).

navyson
12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I cried at the end of Titanic when DiCaprio drown in the frozen sea leaving Kate Winslet all alone.For some reason I also cry at the end of Forrest Gump when Jenny dies leaving Forrest alone with his son.
Can't help it,I am a very sensitive guy.
I agree with kamehouse about Forrest Gump, that chokes me up also. And the part when he finds out that her son is his son, Forrest Jr. named after him.

Rising Sun*
12-06-2008, 07:46 AM
I cried at the end of Titanic when DiCaprio drown in the frozen sea leaving Kate Winslet all alone.

Mate, no disrespect, but any film that kills di Caprio is a winner for me. Even better if he's killed before it starts. :D

Rising Sun*
12-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I agree with kamehouse about Forrest Gump, that chokes me up also. And the part when he finds out that her son is his son, Forrest Jr. named after his dad.

Forrest Gump is, oddly enough, probably one of the best war, and anti-war, films ever made.

And great for a whole range of other reasons.

It manages at the same time to deride political, military and civilian stupidity while upholding the best virtues of them all.

namvet
12-06-2008, 08:54 AM
remember LT Dan???? actor Gary Sinise. he has a band now. ever since 9-11. the LT Dan band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwDF5Vbp8SY

Schindler's list. that one chocked me up. it was hard to sit there and watch that.

Dara
12-06-2008, 06:24 PM
"Where the Red Fern Grows" makes me misty eyed. "Saving Private Ryan" definitely tugs at my heart, the same with "Old Yeller" and "Letters From Iwo Jima".

HAWKEYE
01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Ol' Yeller still gets me even at 58 yrs old..I don't even watch it when it comes on, but I did watch a clip that was on about Disney films last week and dammed if I didn't have to get up and go blow my nose again.

I liked Mr Roberts a lot, it was on tonight in fact, but I never cried, I was very shocked the first time I watched it, after all the funny stuff to get slapped in the face by the ending. Now I get it...and I'm proud of Ensign Pulver for his last scene....

Flashman
01-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Cry? One never cries old chap. Almost cry is as far as I allow myself.

Almost cried watching ; The Holocaust (when the young daughter went into the back of one of those gas vans), Life Is Beautiful (the bit with the gramophone and the ending), and for some reason I'm quite affected by the ending to To Kill A Mockingbird.

Keystone Two-Eight
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
ill go with Schindler's List. pretty tuff sitting thru that...............

WE HAVE A WINNER!! Man, the scene with the little girl!! (you know the one I'm talking about) Oh Dear Lord in Heaven! I didnt just cry, I sobbed. It was the use of that color man, it just kills me every time! (which is probably why i havent watched it in forever)

namvet
01-09-2009, 12:55 PM
yeah her pink (or red) coat was the only color in the movie.

Egorka
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I watched "Saving private Ryan" yesterday again. I had tears...

Schallburg
01-22-2009, 05:33 AM
When the emperor dies, in Return of the jedi knight!
I cry every time i see it!

navyson
01-22-2009, 05:53 AM
When the emperor dies, in Return of the jedi knight!

That's one of my all time favorite movie moments! When Darth Vader chooses his son (Luke Skywalker) over the Emperor and the dark side of the force.

jcompton
01-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I definately agree about Forrest Gump.. There are a few scenes in Band of Brothers that tear me up.. like when Bill Guerneer and Joe Torre get their legs blown off by German artillery. Completly off topic, that movie The Notebook gets me every time.

freyir_33
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Elem Klimovs "come and see" from 1985, the best war movie I have ever seen. To mention something more mainstream, it would be the BBC series Band of Brothers.

boyne_water
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
The little girl in the red coat in Schindlers List survived the war.She recognised herself in the film and wrote a book called The Girl In The Redcoat.Just a bit of trivia for you.

navyson
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
The little girl in the red coat in Schindlers List survived the war.She recognised herself in the film and wrote a book called The Girl In The Redcoat.Just a bit of trivia for you.
I haven't seen the movie in a while, is there some sort of reference to her in the movie (other than the coat) that she would come forward?

boyne_water
03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
That i don,t know.I haven,t read the book,only the back cover.

boyne_water
03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
The girls name was Roma Ligoka.

navyson
03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
The girls name was Roma Ligoka.
Thanks! I got curious after you posted, and googled for it. Found out a little about her story.

wenomraid
07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
"Stalingrad" one of the best world war 2 movie !

Manheim Schrute
07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
The Pianist has some really sad and brutal scenes.
Off topic,"Field of Dreams"The last scene where Ray ask'shis father to have catch like when he was little. It tug's at my heart.

Lilly Von Blitz
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
There are plenty of movies otu there and out of all of them theres only a select few that can start the water works any of you got any movies that get to you
P.S. For some reason my dog skip gets me every time
http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/my_dog_skip_ver1.jpg

"A league of there own!"
It's very sad near the end of the movie! Also it's about ww2 and women baseball.

rudeerude
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
My three ,even though they have been mentioned are,

1) "Saving Private Ryan" with Mrs. Ryan getting the bad news.Though it has gotten easier getting through the scene after watching it so many times.

2)" We Were Soldiers" passing out those Western Telegrams.

3) "The Fighting Sullivans" When the the family gets the bad news,The Dad still goes about his daily work schedule on the railroad and goes to work.As his train is pulling out he sees his sons atop the water tower as young boys waving to him off to work.Joe or George (cant't remember which)survived the sinking but perished at sea.

navyson
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
"Saving Private Ryan" with Mrs. Ryan getting the bad news.Though it has gotten easier getting through the scene after watching it so many times.
Yep...That gets me about every time I watch the movie. My dad's a WW2 vet and seeing his mortality kind of affects the situation I guess.

crusader1096
12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
The one that brings me tears is not about WW2 but is close to. It's the end of the movie: Taegukgi. It's the strory of 2 brothers wo are in the same unit during the korean war.

Nickdfresh
12-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Mate, no disrespect, but any film that kills di Caprio is a winner for me. Even better if he's killed before it starts. :D

LMFAO!! :lol: I know this was written a year ago, but I was thinking the exact same thing re-reading this thread...

flamethrowerguy
12-08-2009, 04:22 AM
The Pianist is sad when at the end the german that helped the jew was shot.

Uhm, maybe you should watch the movie again or read this:
http://ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148445&postcount=15

rudeerude
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Yesterday Dec 7 my step daughter was watching movies on the DVD player and she asked my to borrow my "Pearl Harbor" movie,its one of her favorite movies.I asked her if it was because it was Dec 7,but she said no she just wanted to watch it.Anyway I sat down and started watching it with her on the part where the attack begins.It gets to the part where the soldier brings the nurse Betty in his arms and she is dead I started to get watery eyed,oh no I better get out here before a tear comes out and I have to explain why I am wiping my eyes.

Rising Sun*
12-09-2009, 07:10 AM
LMFAO!! :lol: I know this was written a year ago, but I was thinking the exact same thing re-reading this thread...

Waal, I done been a yar older, but'n I doan change ma mind one whit.

Di Caprio, he's still a shit. ;) :D

Munchausen
12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Thin Red Line made me cry tears of rage and boredom.

On a deeper note, "Earn it" is a profound punchline that caught me off guard in Saving Private Ryan.

flamethrowerguy
12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Thin Red Line made me cry tears of rage and boredom.

Care to elaborate on that? I got a copy in my collection, watched it several times and thought it is an exceptional movie. I could never comprehend the partially harsh criticism.

Munchausen
12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Flamethrowerguy: First off, thanks for reading. I hope you caught the hyperbole for what it was intended. It's been a while since I caught this film. I caved in to the avid recommendation of a friend who's a bit of a film buff. He told me it was superior to Saving Private Ryan and I was prone to trust his opinion. The movie I saw was a typical Viet Nam "why are we here?" flick transposed onto a WWII backdrop. I guess it offended me that the victory in the Pacific Theatre could be imagined as a moralistic failure. It went against the grain of such beloved films as The Sands of Iwo Jima, The Fighting Sea Bees and even Bridge Over the River Kwai. There was even a scene that was rife with imagery of the My Lai massacre. I mean really, if you bring your wife to the front then you must expect things to get messy family-wise. Otherwise you have a great cast, wonderful cinematography and good pyro. I hope this serves as an explaination. I might give it another chance. I only intend to express my opinion, not change any minds.

George Eller
02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
-

A couple of films that I find touching.

The Gallant Hours (1960)

The Wings of Eagles (1957)

-

The Gallant Hours - Opening and Closing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2wye37sZiQ

The Gallant Hours - Movie 1960 - Opening and Closing Scenes - starring James Cagney as Fleet Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey, Jr. U.S. Navy
Song - "The Gallant Hours Theme".
Music and Lyrics by Ward Costello.
Performed by Roger Wagner Chorale.
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0053849/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Halsey%2C_Jr.

-

The Wings of Eagles (1957) - Closing Scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh91bSPNaGg

Movie based on the life and writings of U.S. Navy Commander Frank "Spig" Wead - a pioneer naval aviator, renowned screenwriter, and man of war. The movie stars John Wayne as Cmdr. Wead and was directed by John Ford. Also stars Maureen O'Hara, Dan Dailey, and Ward Bond.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wings_of_Eagles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wead

-

namvet
02-03-2010, 09:36 AM
-

A couple of films that I find touching.

The Gallant Hours (1960)

The Wings of Eagles (1957)

-

The Gallant Hours - Opening and Closing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2wye37sZiQ

The Gallant Hours - Movie 1960 - Opening and Closing Scenes - starring James Cagney as Fleet Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey, Jr. U.S. Navy
Song - "The Gallant Hours Theme".
Music and Lyrics by Ward Costello.
Performed by Roger Wagner Chorale.
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0053849/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Halsey%2C_Jr.

-

The Wings of Eagles (1957) - Closing Scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh91bSPNaGg

Movie based on the life and writings of U.S. Navy Commander Frank "Spig" Wead - a pioneer naval aviator, renowned screenwriter, and man of war. The movie stars John Wayne as Cmdr. Wead and was directed by John Ford. Also stars Maureen O'Hara, Dan Dailey, and Ward Bond.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wings_of_Eagles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wead

-

George !!!! you son of a gun. haven't seen you on here for a loooong. time. how ya doing ???? Gary

George Eller
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
George !!!! you son of a gun. haven't seen you on here for a loooong. time. how ya doing ???? Gary
-

Hi Gary,

Great to hear from you too. I have been kind of busy on other projects, but still pop by from time to time. I recently bought a house and was pretty busy initially with the search, paperwork, and then with the move. I am still getting settled in but things are steadily getting put in order.

On the negative side, work has been a little slow because of the economy, but I'm hoping that business will pick up soon. On the positive side, I am eligible for the tax rebate for first-time home buyers. So I am looking forward to that.

I hope things have been going well for you :)

-

namvet
02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
-

Hi Gary,

Great to hear from you too. I have been kind of busy on other projects, but still pop by from time to time. I recently bought a house and was pretty busy initially with the search, paperwork, and then with the move. I am still getting settled in but things are steadily getting put in order.

On the negative side, work has been a little slow because of the economy, but I'm hoping that business will pick up soon. On the positive side, I am eligible for the tax rebate for first-time home buyers. So I am looking forward to that.

I hope things have been going well for you :)

-

we may try and sell our house again this spring. ill use a broker this time instead of of a realtor. if your a seller your in a hole !!!!!
I think maybe this is the worst winter ive seen in years. but we're ok. good to hear from you. G

Gren Schell
02-04-2010, 03:04 AM
The last scene from Braveheart always gets me, the scene where the criminal.. Sorry, the great Scottish warrior William Mel Wallace is on the rack, getting disembowelled and stretched, and you see his ex-wife in the crowd. Tears flowed freely at that point, when I realised that I could have spent the money that I wasted on a cinema ticket, on something more substantial.. and the fact that I had lost several hours of my life watching such drivel, and would never get that time back! ;) ;)

Egorka
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
This makes my eyes wet every time...
Song from the movie "Tegeran-43" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q6P7XmT6Ms)