PDA

View Full Version : Defeating spam

Rising Sun*
06-29-2008, 07:03 AM
There's another ****head (rstu936) spamming every thread he can find.

These clowns always have links to whatever it is they're trying to sell.

Is it possible automatically to restrict new members from posting links until they have a certain number of posts AND, to prevent them just running up the requisite number, the mods have authorised them to post links?

It may affect a small number of genuine new members, but the mods can easily identify them and give them a green light.

Edit: Here's some possibilities.

3. Prevent new member links

An excellent plugin for vbulletin prevent new members from posting links according to a specific parameter, usually post count.

In other words, if you set the parameter on the plugin to "20 posts", it means that new members cannot post a link until they've made 20 posts.

You can find the plugins here:
Forbid Users from Posting Links or Images if They Have Fewer than 15 Posts (NOTE: Only for vbulletin 3.5+)
Prevent Users With Low Post Counts Posting/PM'ing URLS (NOTE: Only for vbulletin 3.0.x)

Pros: This is an excellent way to prevent new member registrations simply to post link advertising on your forums.

Cons: It can be annoying to genuine new members linking to genuine third-party websites.

Additionally, some forum spammers add the URL without the http://, hoping they can get traffic from members pasting in the URL.

Worse still, some forum spammers will make "me too" posts in order to reach the required link count, then drop their ads. Combat this by ensuring a long delay between posts (ie, vbulletin Admin > vbulletin Options > Message Posting and Editing Options > Minimum Time Between Posts > 60) to make it least worth their while to do so.

3a. Moderate posts by keyword

A more recent and excellent anti-spam plugin for vbulletin:
Prevent Spam Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

This allows you to set common spam keywords. Where a new member makes a post containing any of these potential spam keywords, the posts are sent to a moderation queue, rather than posted to the public forums.

TIP: Add the following as keywords, commonly used in Nokia/iPod spam (Mobile phone/ringtone/xbox/ipod spam info): @yahoo @gmail @hotmail

http://www.securitywatch.co.uk/forums/how-fight-forum-spamming-222.html

Nickdfresh
06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
I got him, and it took me all of three seconds to delete all of his posts (through his user ID, and I can delete everything).

I think what we need is for George, pdf, and I to be able to ban members that have five posts or more...And possibly ban IPs too...

Rising Sun*
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Here's another **** wacker http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7073

This Wow Gold thing has come up a few times in posts by other sausage strokers.

Is there any way of putting Wow Gold on a site shit list that stops them posting?

Amrit
07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I help Mod and run another forum, and on there all members have to be approved. So we check username, email and IP. Of course a few spammers slip through but like here they get caught pretty quickly.

But we have found this site great for tracking spammers and removing their registration applications before they get on the boards:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Not perfect but I hope it helps you guys. It's amazing just how stupid most spammers are and use the same email address and/or IP

Good luck. I know what it's like

ww2admin
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
thank you for that link. I'll take a look at it.

One thign I can't do is manually approve all new registrations. too many and too time consuming!

Major Walter Schmidt
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Maybe you acn create accounts with the name of those people in the list so that they cant get in?

Major Walter Schmidt
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Buy Ads (http://www.ww2incolor.com)Test drive our brand new real-time traffic estimator and create your campaign. Choose text, banner, or interstitial ads. Target by site, keyword, demographic. Create or upload multiple ads. Sell Ads (http://www.ww2incolor.com)Find out how we can help you generate more revenue from your ad space. Customize ads to match your site Approve and reject ads for your site Works alongside other ad programs Make money online,now! (http://www.ww2incolor.com)

(all links changed to ww2incolor.com)

Okaaay, that is stupid...

RifleMan20
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Let me guess, he posted spam on a anti spam topic, that happened before a while back.

pdf27
10-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Yeah, that guy has about 3 very similar accounts and has been banned about 20 times by Nick, George and myself. Unfortunately we don't have the power to actually stop him - we can give him multiple bans but they have no effect whatsoever and all we can do is delete posts when they show up.

herman2
10-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Your the man pDF!!...Delete, Ban and God Speed!...thats why we love ya!

aly j
10-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, that guy has about 3 very similar accounts and has been banned about 20 times by Nick, George and myself. Unfortunately we don't have the power to actually stop him - we can give him multiple bans but they have no effect whatsoever and all we can do is delete posts when they show up.

Wait a minute, Whats the point of having a banning rule, if the banning doest stop them from logging back on.:confused:
Whats the point of having a banning rule then,it just a waste of time for the mods.:confused:
So that means you guys are stuck with me forever?

pdf27
10-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Wait a minute, Whats the point of having a banning rule, if the banning doest stop them from logging back on.:confused:
Whats the point of having a banning rule then,it just a waste of time for the mods.:confused:
There are mods with the power to ban them (Firefly, General Sandworm and Procyon), they just aren't around very much. This is due to an abuse of power by a former mod, which means the mod superpowers of the rest of us have been severely curtailed to protect you guys from experiencing that sort of thing in future.

So that means you guys are stuck with me forever?
Don't bet on it. There are people with the power to ban you, I'm just not one of them.

Rising Sun*
10-31-2008, 08:04 AM
This is due to an abuse of power by a former mod, which means the mod superpowers of the rest of us have been severely curtailed to protect you guys from experiencing that sort of thing in future.

In fairness to the former mod concerned, and I having been rather central to that issue, it's unfair to accuse him of an abuse of power, which suggests some sort of corruption or bad motive in exercising his powers.

It would be fairer to say that he was, in the view of some other members, at times impetuous, or erratic, or extreme in his actions.

But, objectively, generally he acted in what he saw as the best interests of the board (perhaps excluding some matters to do with a brief unpleasantness between Her Majesty and a Latin dictator over an inconsequential collection of islands full of sheep. ;) :mrgreen: ) .

It is a great pity that his conduct ensured that current mods don't have the same powers he had, but which they could be relied upon to exercise judiciously and which would have avoided the need for my post at http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8176

aly j
10-31-2008, 03:41 PM
There are mods with the power to ban them (Firefly, General Sandworm and Procyon), they just aren't around very much. This is due to an abuse of power by a former mod, which means the mod superpowers of the rest of us have been severely curtailed to protect you guys from experiencing that sort of thing in future.

Don't bet on it. There are people with the power to ban you, I'm just not one of them.

Oh ok.They had to get rid of that evil mod cause this forum wont have any members left.
Did that evil mod make Nickdfreash look like a pussie cat, that was a joke ok.
How come the super mods havent band me yet?, is it because they know im no harm to this forum. If they thought i was a danger,the super mods would of banned me ages ago.

Churchill
10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Or maybe because they haven't been here since the last time you did something stupid...

The Mods take care of your "trash" as well, so the Admins don't see it...

Firefly
10-31-2008, 06:56 PM
In fairness to the former mod concerned, and I having been rather central to that issue, it's unfair to accuse him of an abuse of power, which suggests some sort of corruption or bad motive in exercising his powers.

It would be fairer to say that he was, in the view of some other members, at times impetuous, or erratic, or extreme in his actions.

But, objectively, generally he acted in what he saw as the best interests of the board (perhaps excluding some matters to do with a brief unpleasantness between Her Majesty and a Latin dictator over an inconsequential collection of islands full of sheep. ;) :mrgreen: ) .

It is a great pity that his conduct ensured that current mods don't have the same powers he had, but which they could be relied upon to exercise judiciously and which would have avoided the need for my post at http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8176

Your thinking of the wrong Mod mate. I think he means Erwin....

Firefly
10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh ok.They had to get rid of that evil mod cause this forum wont have any members left.
Did that evil mod make Nickdfreash look like a pussie cat, that was a joke ok.
How come the super mods havent band me yet?, is it because they know im no harm to this forum. If they thought i was a danger,the super mods would of banned me ages ago.

I suppose its because your coming across as niaive and not malicious?

pdf27
10-31-2008, 07:11 PM

Hardly. However, we are of the opinion that stupidity alone is not sufficient grounds to ban someone, and tend to apply Hanlon's Razor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor) to such situations. So far it is not sufficient to demonstrate malice in your case, and accordingly you have not been banned.

aly j
10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Or maybe because they haven't been here since the last time you did something stupid...

The Mods take care of your "trash" as well, so the Admins don't see it...

Oh cool, the mods are looking after me, is that what you are saying!

Churchill
11-01-2008, 09:43 AM
That is still being debated...

aly j
11-01-2008, 04:59 PM
FireFly- Niaive -Thats in my nature. I dont like fighting, i'm gentle.
i'm very harmless.

PDF27- Maybe you should speak to me like Fire Fly speaks to me.

Churchill-Do you dislike me ,cause of the two leaders on this forum happend to dislike me?

pdf27
11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
PDF27- Maybe you should speak to me like Fire Fly speaks to me.
Not likely - so don't push your luck. Right now I'm probably the only mod who wouldn't like to see you banned at least temporarily, and I'm questioning the wisdom of my position. You are skating on very, very thin ice here.

Nickdfresh
11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
FireFly- Niaive -Thats in my nature. I dont like fighting, i'm gentle.
i'm very harmless.

You may be "harmless," but you're also a pain in the arse', and I suspect purposefully so...

aly j
11-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Not likely - so don't push your luck. Right now I'm probably the only mod who wouldn't like to see you banned at least temporarily, and I'm questioning the wisdom of my position. You are skating on very, very thin ice here.

PDF- I'm not trying to push my luck.
Infact i'm not even trying to be an spammer or a troll.
I just look like one cause [1]I'm new to forum chatting and [2]iv'e got limited knowleage of ww2.
I like talking to you guys about ww2 and to learn from you guys.

aly j
11-02-2008, 02:54 AM
You may be "harmless," but you're also a pain in the arse', and I suspect purposefully so...

Ok,Ok- I know that i don't have the same knowleage like you guys do, is that a crime?
Geez, I actually like talking to you guys.
Geez, i don't mean to be an pain in the arse.

Nickdfresh
11-02-2008, 03:29 AM
PDF- I'm not trying to push my luck.
Infact i'm not even trying to be an spammer or a troll.
I just look like one cause [1]I'm new to forum chatting and [2]iv'e got limited knowleage of ww2.
I like talking to you guys about ww2 and to learn from you guys.

You're a vandal. ;) Nothing more, and you'll be gone soon, I promise...

Rising Sun*
11-02-2008, 05:01 AM

Predictable aly j reply below. ;) :D

im not a vandel.

mi name ist even martha and I wast in the vandellas.

why do you make up lyes about me all the tyme/

your the vandel on the sight, nickthefresh, you and RS hoo hate me cuz im a girl and didt no enyting about WWII until you all lerned me wot i no now, witch is heeps witch ive stored in my computer wif my spelchekker witch pdf27 showed how to find and witch hell teech me to use cuz hes not nasty like you and RS

Churchill
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Churchill-Do you dislike me ,cause of the two leaders on this forum happend to dislike me?

Absolutely not! I'm just blatantly pointing out the obvious...:cool:

aly j
11-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Maybe you should chase after bubba, than chase after me.

Then you will see the real vanal,now i know why this forum is going down,
you chase after the wrong members.

aly j
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM

im not a vandel.

your the vandel on the sight, nickthefresh, you and RS hoo hate me cuz im a girl and didt no enyting about WWII until you all lerned me wot i no now, witch is heeps witch ive stored in my computer wif my spelchekker witch pdf27 showed how to find and witch hell teech me to use cuz hes not nasty like you and RS

Very close, but i don't type that badly.

R/S you got some spelling mistakes and they were easy words.

Maybe you should use is Spellcheck.

PS - You guys a making up threads called spammers, what a waste of space.

Is this WW2 forum?

Churchill
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Is this WW2 forum?

No, I'm sorry, this is the Board of Assorted Baked Products, AKA, BABP.:D

aly j
11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Absolutely not! I'm just blatantly pointing out the obvious...:cool:

What's the obvious?

That i'm a spammer.

If you take a look at my posts, i do and try to talk about WW2, but with limited knowleage.

A real spammer is someone like BUBBA,what ever his name is.

But you're answer is cool with me.;)

Churchill
11-02-2008, 09:33 PM
No, just that you've created many a thread that doesn't have much useful content... I mean, come on, you've been here about 2 months, and you have over 600 posts, I've been here about 9/10ish months, and I haven't passed 500. That must say something about the level of your posting...

Churchill
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not saying that your multiple posts are bad(about 50ish of mine are reporting spam, so I'm not one to talk)but maybe condense them...?

Django
11-11-2008, 03:17 AM

im not a vandel.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Damn you made me spit out my 7 up all over my computer:lol:
No worries, she/he/it is haunting another forum now and it couldn't be more obvious:mrgreen:

Firefly
11-11-2008, 04:42 AM
All I can say is Wow!

Churchill
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought that was funny too.:)

tankgeezer
11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
the text looks mis-spelled along the same lines as BUBBAA. Hmm, might they be the same person?

pdf27
11-12-2008, 01:52 AM
the text looks mis-spelled along the same lines as BUBBAA. Hmm, might they be the same person?
Not unless she's uncommonly good at spoofing IPs.

tankgeezer
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Not unless she's uncommonly good at spoofing IPs.
Good point, the upside is that I dont have to post a kilt picture for her,,:mrgreen:

Rising Sun*
11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Good point, the upside is that I dont have to post a kilt picture for her,,:mrgreen:

That's a relief to all of us. :D