PDA

View Full Version : E-Company , 506th PIR ,101st

Winters
05-14-2007, 07:02 AM
ok most if not all of you know the story of easy company of the 506th , 101st airbourne , dropped into france near the town of st marie du mont , on d-day , pushed through carentan , and took out the guns at brecourt manor over looking utah beach . but does anyone have any actual footage of them in action around that time of the normandy landings as the story of the company really fasinates me .

Croat
05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello the easy compyny is my favourite topic about the ww2, do you knw the story about rhe battle in the ardenes (battle of the bulge)?

Croat
05-17-2007, 12:38 PM
what means 506th PIR and why 101st?

Winters
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Hello the easy compyny is my favourite topic about the ww2, do you knw the story about rhe battle in the ardenes (battle of the bulge)?

yes i know the story of them in the ardennes , bastogne .

and i dont know why the 506th , but they were attached to the 101st about 18 months after they formed.

Winters
05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
if your asking what the PIR stands for , its Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Croat
05-22-2007, 04:30 AM
thank you. why have they called it the 101st why not the 1st i men it was probably the first. And what was the 101st a regiment or what?

Walther
05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
The 101st is a division, as the name implies. It is made up out of regiments of appr. batallion size, of which the 506st PIR is one. The regiments are made up of companies, of which E company is 5th..
There existed several other airborne divisions in the US forces, e.g. the 82nd.
E company of the 506 PIR has become largely popular through the series "Band of Brothers", but there existed thousands of other units, which fought equally brave and contributed to the war efford just the same (even if it is just a "lowly" signals or logistics unit).

Jan

Croat
05-23-2007, 04:40 AM
The 101st is a division, as the name implies. It is made up out of regiments of appr. batallion size, of which the 506st PIR is one. The regiments are made up of companies, of which E company is 5th..
There existed several other airborne divisions in the US forces, e.g. the 82nd.
E company of the 506 PIR has become largely popular through the series "Band of Brothers", but there existed thousands of other units, which fought equally brave and contributed to the war efford just the same (even if it is just a "lowly" signals or logistics unit).

Jan

thank you walther i always thought that a division is a part of a PIR but now i know everything I wanted to.

Gen. Sandworm
06-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Just discovered this on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Speirs#Rumors

Ronald Speirs died suddenly on April 11, 2007!

bwing55543
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
What impresses me is how similar David Schwimmer looked to the real Herbert Sobel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sobel

jarradnat
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
**** winters 2 books are great reads about the company during ww2

kallinikosdrama1992
01-17-2008, 03:17 AM
You know guys i also like E company . I can say i am a fanatic . I watch Band Of Brothers almost every week . That's why i know many about their story .

Nigel R Sheehan
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
bob fascinates me, i just wish that the story had been told years ago so many of the vets were alive when it was aired. winters was a brilliant leader and should be awarded the medal of honour

Gutkowski
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Great here we go again kicking around the dead cat

Nigel R Sheehan
02-09-2008, 06:17 AM
it aint no dead cat, why shouldnt great leaders be honoured, and why should only the famous leaders be not only honoured but remembered

GliderInfantry
03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
does any one know about the 327th glider infantry?

overlord644
03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
it was the glider infantry regiment in the 101st airborne, although it wasn't an all-volunteer unit like the other regiments and the members didn't receive as much money as the airborne

i remember Band Of Brothers, talking about the glider infantry drawing posters of crashed gliders with stuff like "Join the glider troops!, No flight pay, no jump pay, but never a dull moment!" and stuff like that

GliderInfantry
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
there was also glider regiments one which was at bastogne which I like and is my favorite is the 327th .It now is called the 327th infantry regiment and has served in Iraq.

overlord644
03-22-2008, 12:29 AM
there was also glider regiments one which was at bastogne which I like and is my favorite is the 327th .It now is called the 327th infantry regiment and has served in Iraq.

yeah, i'm pretty sure the 327th suffered particularly heavy casualties because for some reason the were continuously strafed by allied fighters

Nigel R Sheehan
04-06-2008, 02:01 AM
try this site

http://www.vizualshock.com/327home.html

WaffenSS
06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
bob fascinates me, i just wish that the story had been told years ago so many of the vets were alive when it was aired. winters was a brilliant leader and should be awarded the medal of honour

The Medal of Honor was awarded to a guy named Cole for leading a bayonet charge while taking heavy casualties.winters was just awarded the Service cross i think

christophe1992
07-15-2008, 06:57 PM
i v read the book and seen the movies. my favorite is lt. speirs and guarnere those are the real heroes. winters is the best officer no doubt if there where more men like thes then wars wil be overer much sooner :)

colonel hogan
12-22-2008, 02:49 AM
what means 506th PIR and why 101st?

pir is parachute infantry regiment and 101st is the airborne division

colonel hogan
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
easy company was lead by some great men. winters spiers compton and all the toccoa noncoms did the right thing in combat.

Rising Sun*
01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
easy company was lead by some great men. winters spiers compton and all the toccoa noncoms did the right thing in combat.

Work out the number of effective companies in all the armies engaged in WWII which 'did the right thing in combat' and Easy Company's men are no greater than most, and less great than some. They're just better known because there is a book and television series about them which informs people who aren't even halfway serious students of or thinkers about war.

And, by the way, the past tense of lead is led.

32Bravo
01-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Work out the number of effective companies in all the armies engaged in WWII which 'did the right thing in combat' and Easy Company's men are no greater than most, and less great than some. They're just better known because there is a book and television series about them which informs people who aren't even halfway serious students of or thinkers about war.

Thems that know, know, RS, and thems that don't ...well...!

Rising Sun*
01-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Thems that know, know, RS, and thems that don't ...

... know nowt.

32Bravo
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
... know nowt.

:lol: :lol: You're wicked!!! :lol:

Nickdfresh
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Exactly! I think Ambrose compares the men of E Co. to current members of the Delta Force which is a bit of a stretch. Yes, they had good leadership, and an unusual ***** for a training CO, but there were plenty of units in the 82d or the 17th for that matter that would have been just as effective as far as US airborne...no one was chopped liver!

Beaver22
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi all

I believe they were termed the 101st as a sort of false information, the intention to suggest to enemy forces that there were a great number of similar divisions. the same goes for the 82nd airborne too.

Masive fan of the 506th and have read quite a lot around the series; Donald Burgett has released five or so books focusing on the mant campaigns, as have Bill Garnere, James Hefron, Winters, Webster and so on.

Very compelling stuff, though it is worth remembering that there were thousands of other copanies out there doing an equal number of heroic feats.

By the way, first post on the site - hello to all, I hope I can contribute something now and again.

Stuart

forager
01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
False information is no part of it.
The 101st division has roots in the American Civil War.
The 82 had theirs in WW1.
They simply evolved over time into what they are today.
The 101 is now Airmobile. The 82 remains airborne and combat ready.
My father was with the 506th, arriving right after D-Day.
He was wounded in Holland and returned just in time for the trip to Bastogne.
He was not E Company.
It is correct to say E Company is a big deal simply because they were featured in a book that caught on.
They were representative of every other company in the organization.
Paratroopers are generally better trained and motivated than other troops.
When part of your job is being surrounded you got to be able to deal with it.
They were gearing up to go to the Pacific when Hirohito gave up.
They then spent time a occupation troops waiting o rotate home.
They were transferred to the 82nd for rotation.
My dad had to switch patches on his Ike jacket, but retained his Curahee crests.
I still have this.
We used to have a lot of pics he took at a death camp. He had ill feelings for Germans the rest of his life.

muscogeemike
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Years ago, while a staff NCO at Fr. Bragg, I read an analysis of Airborne Operations and US Airborne Soldiers. If I remember correctly the qualifications for US Airborne Training (in WWII) were higher than those for Officers Candidate School.
The analysis questioned the cost effectiveness of large Airborne (parachute) Ops. Almost always very large casualties (again these men were arguably the “cream of the crop“), especially when viewed objectively in terms of accomplishing strategic goals.
I emphasize “Large Airborne Ops” such as Market Garden and Crete, even the Allied use of Airborne in the Normandy invasion was not an un-qualified success (only 6% achieved goals – over 60% of the men and equipment were lost on the drop). I don’t think anyone questions the use of Parachute troops in smaller ops.
This analysis was not well received in the Airborne community.

I’m sick of people telling me to “have a good jump.” A good jump is one that doesn't kill you. Sgt Jesse Adams, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment (character in “The Rising Tide”, by Jeff Shaara)

Laconia
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
What impresses me is how similar David Schwimmer looked to the real Herbert Sobel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sobel
I think they did a great job in casting some of the others also. Look at Winters and the actor who played him. How about Guanerre? Great job in casting there also.

jamestallakson
04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
ok most if not all of you know the story of easy company of the 506th , 101st airbourne , dropped into france near the town of st marie du mont , on d-day , pushed through carentan , and took out the guns at brecourt manor over looking utah beach . but does anyone have any actual footage of them in action around that time of the normandy landings as the story of the company really fasinates me .

they actually have a website so maybe some of the vets who were there have some

skorzeny57
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Today, June 6th 2011, is the 67th Anniversary of the D-Day, like our Today's Event reminds to us... I would like to share with all of you a respectful memories of all that men from both sides, that sacrificed their lifes in that corner of Europe...

texag57
06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
[/B]There is an excellent black and white movie about the 101st in Bastogne. The name of it is "Battleground", and came out in 1950. I taped it several years ago when it was on t.v. It may be on a DVD now, but there weren't any back when I copied it. It is fiction, I beleive, but very well done and accurate in what happened.

rudeerude
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
[/B]There is an excellent black and white movie about the 101st in Bastogne. The name of it is "Battleground", and came out in 1950. I taped it several years ago when it was on t.v. It may be on a DVD now, but there weren't any back when I copied it. It is fiction, I beleive, but very well done and accurate in what happened.

I agree.I just watched it over the Memorial day weekend it was on the Turner Movie Channel.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I posted about that film here a while ago I think. It's one of my personal favorites for its relatively unsentimental treatment of a combat unit under duress, its varied cast of characters, and its overall good writing.

texag57
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I agree.I just watched it over the Memorial day weekend it was on the Turner Movie Channel.

I was 15 when "Battleground" came out in 1950. It was the first movie I saw in "Surround Sound",(I think that is what it was called). Anyway, you could hear the artillery coming in over your head inside the theater, and I thought that was pretty neat back then. I heard the same sounds about seven years later when I was in artillery survey out beyond our pieces on Peason Range at Ft Polk, Louisiana. At that time it was only training with the 90th Infantry Division. :army: