PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any WW2 Seabees?

Laconia
12-28-2006, 10:55 PM
My Dad was in the Seabees in the Pacific. He was in New Guniea, Philippines, and China. Would be interested in hearing from any former Seabees or the children of Seabees .

Thurman
01-03-2007, 07:53 AM
My father was in the Seabees during WW2. I also know a few WW2 Seabees What battalion was your father in?

Laconia
01-03-2007, 11:45 PM
My father was in the Seabees during WW2. I also know a few WW2 Seabees What battalion was your father in?

My Dad was in the 122nd Seabees. I believe he went in in 1943 and got out sometime in 1946. What battalian was you father in? What years did he serve? How about those other guys, what do you know about their service?

Thurman
01-04-2007, 07:23 AM
http://carol_fus.tripod.com/navy_hero_6th_ncb.html Link to Pops Unit.

122nd Seabees - After formation at Peary in October 1943, the 122nd NCB was transferred to Camp Parks, then to Port Huneme on December 28. It left the states Feb. 21, 1944 and arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea. The battalion operated at Gamododo, Milne Bay, until alerted for Hollandia in May 1944, where it was operating until December 20. On that date, the 122nd left Hollandia for Samar, and was stil there in August 1945.

Laconia
01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
http://carol_fus.tripod.com/navy_hero_6th_ncb.html Link to Pops Unit.

122nd Seabees - After formation at Peary in October 1943, the 122nd NCB was transferred to Camp Parks, then to Port Huneme on December 28. It left the states Feb. 21, 1944 and arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea. The battalion operated at Gamododo, Milne Bay, until alerted for Hollandia in May 1944, where it was operating until December 20. On that date, the 122nd left Hollandia for Samar, and was stil there in August 1945.

Yes, your information is correct! As an addition, some members of the 122nd ended up in Tientsein, China as occupation troops, my father among them. You didn't answer my question though about your father's service. What unit was he in? What years did he serve? What was his occupation?

Thurman
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I gave you the link to his unit - 6th Special Seabees 2nd Section

Laconia
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Sorry about that, I didn't see it. Thanks.

Laconia
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM

I just checked it out. Looks like he was at some of the same places my Dad was at and at the same time. A couple of years ago, I took my Dad to the dedication of the WW2 Memorial in D.C. It was a enjoyable day. We met a few other Seabees there. It was nice to talk with those guys. My Dad was a Carpenter's Mate, he worked on building the hospitals etc. He was sure glad those 2 "Bombs" were dropped on Japan. He would have been in the invasion.

Thurman
01-05-2007, 07:04 AM
The Seabee "Specials" were Stevedores - and many were used as "shore parties"Loading and unloading ships on the beachheads and then moving the cargo to inland supply dumps. Other than their campsites and ramps for the ships to help facilitate entry, they really didn't build anything unless called upon to do so.

Laconia
01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
The Seabee "Specials" were Stevedores - and many were used as "shore parties"Loading and unloading ships on the beachheads and then moving the cargo to inland supply dumps. Other than their campsites and ramps for the ships to help facilitate entry, they really didn't build anything unless called upon to do so.

Yep, I had heard about that unit. I had heard it was developed because they were have a problem with an inefficient unloading process, and they needed some experts. The Navy really did a good job in coming up with the Seabees. All the stuff that their engineers developed, stuff like those floating docks etc. It's all pretty interesting. It would have been hard to win the war without them.

Francesca1973
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
I am very interested in both the Seabees and the Army Engineers. Their contributions were invaluable to the success of the war. Forgive the length of the post, but I found some stuff I wanted to share with you about the Army's experiences with unloading equipment off the boats before a better system of organization was put in place. It underscores the valuable contribution of the "Stevadore" Seabees. I'll also post more in relation to the contribution of the Engineers of the 25th because it corresponds with what Laconia's father did as a Seabee. I hope it's okay with you both that it's not specifically about Seabees? I'll be going to the a large bookstore tomorrow, so I'll look for books about them. I don't currently own any since I've been concentrating on the Army. I've only been learning about WWII since December 12th 2006 and I've only got two books and two DVD's about WWII so far. That will all change tomorrow, though. BOOKSTORE RAID!!!!!!!:twisted:

My Great Uncle was in the Army, 25th I.D./161st Infantry Regiment (a Washington National Guard Unit). He enlisted in the Army in San Francisco, CA on August 6, 1941. He was discharged in the spring of 1946. He saw a lot of combat and distinguished himself in battle on more than one occasion. The 25th "Tropic Lightning" Division during WWII was composed of the 27th Infantry, the 161st Infantry, and the 35th Infantry. The 25th was present (in some form or another) at Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Arundel, Kolumbangara, Vella Lavella, Luzon, Philippines, and Japan. The 161st fought on Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Luzon, Philippines and was on occupation duty in Japan. They were named "Tropic Lightning" for their swiftness and excellence in accomplishing their goals. Here is a passage from the book "The 25th in WWII" originally published in 1946, reprinted by the Battery Press, Inc. in 1995. Regarding the unloading of supplies:

"The 35th Regimental Combat Team became the first unit of the Division to hit the beaches of Guadalcanal, landing near the Tenaru River on 17 December, 1942. Supplies came ashore by way of Higgins boats and "daisy chains". The tension of the initial landing gave way under the hours of work required to move the equipment from the landing craft and to consolidate it on shore." This is the politically correct version, but it is does an okay job of what they faced after debarking in the crushing heat of Guadalcanal.

My Uncle's unit, the 161st arrived on December 30, 1942. Here is a passage about the unloading of supplies from the book "Across the Dark Islands: the War in the Pacific" by Floyd W. Radike (published posthumously) He was a Lieutenant in Company B at that time and later went on to become a Brigadier General. He never intended to publish these memoirs, which is why I believe his entire book is probably one of the most truthful accounts of an infantryman's experience ever published:

"Chaos is the best description for the condition on the beach. Piles of bags, stacks of footlockers, and assorted boxes were everywhere, including the water. Lighters were coming in continuously. As the ramps crashed down, teams of men rushed in and carried off the cargo, depositing it on the first available square yard of unoccupied beach. Then the ramps clanked up, the motors roared, and the lighters backed out for another load.

The XO was a man besieged. The heat, the confusion, and the babel of voices had unnerved him. The slick, competent officer who had briefed us at Nandi had given way to a sweating, irritable tyrant who roared and gesticulated out of sheer, towering frustration...The following day we continued looking for our baggage. We never did figure out why it had been spread out all over the beach; after all, it had been loaded according to a plan that was supposed to ensure it being kept together in the debarkation area. The only trouble was that the sailors unloading the hatches and the skippers operating the landing craft hadn't heard of the plan. The era of efficient debarkation or landing plans had not come." December 30, 1942

If you are interested in seeing a picture of the road the Army Engineers built, I started a thread about Pictures of the Pacific in WWII. :D

Chamilton
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this thread. I need help... My Grandfather was a Seabee
on the NCB 1059 unit, but there isn't a whole lot of information out
there on the internet:( . I am looking for anyone who knows anything
about the 1059 and perhaps any surviving members. I have some cool
photo's but don't have many names with them. I know he was in Guam
in an Automotive repair facility... Any ideas where I should be digging
for additional info?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

God Bless and Keep
CHamilton

P.S I have sent for his files from NARA... weeks ago... still nothing
yet!!!

Laconia
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey Everyone,
I am new to this thread. I need help... My Grandfather was a Seabee
on the NCB 1059 unit, but there isn't a whole lot of information out
there on the internet:( . I am looking for anyone who knows anything
about the 1059 and perhaps any surviving members. I have some cool
photo's but don't have many names with them. I know he was in Guam
in an Automotive repair facility... Any ideas where I should be digging
for additional info?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

God Bless and Keep
CHamilton

P.S I have sent for his files from NARA... weeks ago... still nothing
yet!!!

Well, how about posting a few of those photos. i would like to see them. Here is my Dad on a dozer, and my Dad in New Guniea.

Chamilton
02-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Ok I will try to post the pictures. I am not very good at this but I will
try. Thanks for sharing yours. I enjoyed seeing them. My grandpa is
the one in the jeep and sitting on the front row (left). Enjoy

Ok, the pic's didn't stick. I will try again....

Chamilton
02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Here we go again. I am going to attempt posting these pics... hope it
works.:(

Laconia
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Chamilton;95088]Here we go again. I am going to attempt posting these pics... hope it
works.:(

Good deal, you got it! I see your Grandpa was a Lieutenant. Good pics. In the Air Force 2 bars were a Captain. He looks in his 50's. Do you know how old he was back then?

Chamilton
03-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Yes, Grandpa was eventually a Lt. Commander. He was 44 in this picture.
He went in at 43 yrs old.... pretty old by todays standards, but the Seabees
took men with the needed experience and he had lots of that.

Thurman
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
40th Seabees at Los Negros

In March 1944, on Los Negros island in the Admiralties, just north of eastern New Guinea, the 40th Seabee Battalion was assigned to the 1st Calvary Division of the Army. Its objective was to put the unused and much bombed Japanese airstrip at Momote into operation. The army captured the airfield, all right, but while the Seabees were at work on it, the Japanese counterattacked in greater force than anyone suspected was present. Two Seabee officers and 100 men took over a sector of the perimeter and occupied a trench that they dug with the battalion's ditch digger. They armed themselves with automatic rifles and knives, and set up a truck mounted 20 mm gun behind them. Meanwhile other Seabees landed and started to grade and clear the runways and taxiways in the midst of battle. Others drove bulldozers into the jungle to clear fire lanes for Army guns, using the blades now to clear a lane and again raised as a shield, behind which they fired at the enemy. In the Japanese assault, the Seabees distinguished themselves by capturing two machine gun positions and a Bofors gun. They took 47 casualties, with nine killed. General Macarthur awarded them the Army's Distinguished Unit Badge, and President Roosevelt gave them the Presidential Unit Citation

Laconia
03-29-2007, 11:23 PM
That was a good account. Shows that the Seabees could really fight if they had too. My Dad was never fired upon, but he said that when he went for walks away from base, he always carried a .30 carbine - just in case he ran into some Jap holdovers who had escaped into the bush.

larrydev
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I have the official 'thumbnail history' of the Seabee units in WWII. This is called, "SEABEES Where they worked and fought in World War II - An official brief of the itinerary of all the organized U. S. Naval Construction Battalions and special units". This file is 67 pages long in Adobe PDF format. It is a re-typing of a similar document dated October 1945.

Regarding unit CBD 1059 here is the history >> "CBD 1059 was formed at Camp Peary and arrived at Port Hueneme in April 1944. The unit shipped overseas Oct. 11, 1944 and landed at Guam on Nov. 8. The outfit's principal work at Guam was to operate a large tire repair and recapping shop. In September 1945, the detachment remained at Guam."

If interested send request to >> larrydev@earthlink.net

FREDERICK MULLIS
04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
I am looking for information on CBMU 554 and 574 on Johnston Island. My father was a MM2 attached to those batallions. Other than him talking about the gooney birds and how small the rock was he did not talk about much more. His records do not give a lot of information as to where all he was between 43 to 45 other than being assigned to 554 and 574. Anyone out there have any info on the Johnston Island Seabees?

Laconia
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I am looking for information on CBMU 554 and 574 on Johnston Island. My father was a MM2 attached to those batallions. Other than him talking about the gooney birds and how small the rock was he did not talk about much more. His records do not give a lot of information as to where all he was between 43 to 45 other than being assigned to 554 and 574. Anyone out there have any info on the Johnston Island Seabees?

Do you have any pics of your Dad from back then? Feel free to put some up here. We would appreciate seeing them.

FREDERICK MULLIS
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Here are a few of nmy Father at home '43 then at Port Hueme '44 or how ever its spelled Thats CBMU 574 platoon 4 and then on Johnston Island latter '44

The Port Hueme picture had the names and home towns for most of the group.

Laconia
04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Here are a few of nmy Father at home '43 then at Port Hueme '44 or how ever its spelled Thats CBMU 574 platoon 4 and then on Johnston Island latter '44

The Port Hueme picture had the names and home towns for most of the group.

Good pics. I always liked the pork pie cap from back then. Here are a few pics from me. Dad at the Seabee Memorial in D.C., age 81. Some of Dad's decorations that I put together. And lastly, Dad on some far away island. (age 21)

battleaxe
05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Seebees were the coolest. Growing up in a Navy neighborhood we all use to pretend we were Seebees when playing 'war'.

Donna Mn Bicknell
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm looking for any pictures of my dad or anyone that knew him His name was John William Bicknell. Thank-you

FMASSOCIATE
06-14-2008, 12:25 PM
My dad was in 42-44, and was with cb unit 552, stationed in johnston island

the_librarian
08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Was over at the Naval Historical Center today and saw this:

"US Navy Construction Battalions (Seabees) In France
and Germany During World War Two"

Here's the link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/constructfrancegermanyww2.htm

Slow server today however.....

redzone
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
My dad is 83yrs & was a Sea Bee. He served in the south pacific . I will ask him for the specifics. He has many photos I can scan & share that create a portrait of his 3yrs of service. If anyone is interested in these posts or furhter information let me know.

navyson
11-13-2008, 08:37 PM
My dad is 83yrs & was a Sea Bee. He served in the south pacific . I will ask him for the specifics. He has many photos I can scan & share that create a portrait of his 3yrs of service. If anyone is interested in these posts or furhter information let me know.
Go right ahead, should be really interesting.

MyGrampsWWIIFightinForty
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
:)I don't know if anyone ever reads archived files around here?
But I thought to post a reply.. since I'm new here and this actual page is how I found this forum to begin with..
My grandfather is in his eighties.. still alive and was with the SeaBees.. Fighting Forty.. he is always telling me stories and I guess I was wondering if there are any other SeaBees still around from World War II?
I don't have many pictures of him except for just a few.. the others were all lost in hurricane Katrina.. My grandfather was in the New Hebrides? (spell check) Papua New Guinea on the actual islands and he was wherever else.. he was a Petty Officer 3rd class when he was in.. and he was a chemist but given the "job descrip" of SF3C which I guess is Shipfitter? He knew how to do all of that stuff too I guess...He said they could have made him a petty officer 1st class but the fact was that he was too young..something to do with that..
Anyway.. he has told me some amazing stories of back in his days ..He went in 1942.... and he still says he is surprised he lived through it all.. where many of his friends didn't survive.. He even ended up with Dengue and Malaria.. while over there.. Anyway.. I'd love to be able to find some pictures of the Fighting Forty Battalion if there are any out there.. and perhaps even other SeaBees.. that are still around from that time..
He had alot of friends when he was in.. from California to the South to even up North.. so .. looking forward to hearing from whomever..Thanks!

redzone
12-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I am efforting to get my dad to dig up his old photos , its slow going for him after 2 strokes . .... I haver seen someintyeresting pix......am working on it ..

unoga
12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, your information is correct! As an addition, some members of the 122nd ended up in Tientsein, China as occupation troops, my father among them. You didn't answer my question though about your father's service. What unit was he in? What years did he serve? What was his occupation?
My father (Hardie Lensford Bass) was in the 122nd NCB. However, he never talked about his service. I have several bits of Seabee memorabilia (including his copy of Base Pacific) and recently found and scanned negatives of scenes at Hollandia and (I assume) Samar. His DD214 indicates that he served at or was assigned to the following: 122nd NCB, Pontoon Assembly Detail #3, 122 NOB "A" Division and the 29th NCB. Most of this means little to me except that I know he served in the Philippines and New Guinea. He was a "Motor Mechanic 3rd Class" but we always though he was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class, because the rating symbol (the screw or propellor) is the same. Anything pertinent will be appreciated.

Red_shark_Concannon
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
My grandpa was a WWII Seabee.
He was in Base Maint. Unit Detach #502
Navy #133
Co.A - Platoon #1 - Batt. #85 (I think he was at Camp Bradford, Virginia)

Does anyone have any information or history of these Seabee units?

I remember him saying he was stationed in New Zealand, Austrailia, Vella LaVella.
Can't remember anything else.
I know I have a few pictures of him, but I can't find them yet. When I do, I'll try to post them up.

Unfortunately, my family and I weren't able to record any of his stories before he died. We had a person set up to come and record him, but they kept putting the date off. And now, it's too late.

We have a ton of letters from him to his wife and vice versa, though. They are quite simple in what they talk about, but they're fun to read anyway.

forager
02-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Mu uncle was a SeaBee, dunno what unit.
He spent a long time on Guadalcanal and some other places while they still were being contested.
He had a bunch of souveniers that disappeared over the years.

He didn't speak much about it.
He was particularly un happy over the final cleanup of a big base he was on.

They loaded all sorts of stuff on a barge and he used a small dozer to push it off into the lagoon.
He repeated this til everything was sunk, then had to run the dozer off te side as well.

So much gear had been manufactured and sent out, it was deemed cheaper to drown it rather than return it.
I have heard similar stories.
Friend of mine has a useless son I have tried to encourage to join the Seabees

stevedore_red
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
my grandfather was a seabee in the pacific theater - served at guam, saipan and tinian. he never spoke of his experiences and has passed away. i found a few pictures with other ppl in them and am curious who they are and if someone might recognize them. ill scan them in if anyone is interested in seeing them - i know he was with the 13th spec. ncb (stevedores) but he didnt stay at guam like alot of them. he served from 6-43 to 11-45. i also know he fought with the marines on saipan and the photo i have is a mix of seabees and marines holding a jap flag. i believe he was with the 2nd, since the 4th earned pres. citation and he did not. his name was Thomas Patrick Judge or "Red" due to his hair color. cant really find anything online maybe someone could point me in the right direction aside from archives in stl which im still waiting for a response.

stevedore_red
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
sorry my email is kennnjennifer@yahoo.com

stevedore_red
02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
here is a photo that i have - the man on the very left, standing holding the rifle is my grandfather Thomas P Judge ("Red") - he was a seabee but clearly he is posing with marines here - if anyone recognizes anyone in this photo or has any info plz shoot me a msg or email - kennnjennifer@yahoo.com

mscactus
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
My Father was a seabee also. He was in the 28th Regiment Naval REserves Construction Battalion and served in Guam from December 7th, 1943 to July 24th 1946. Have a photo of him with his best buddy down there, and have been looking for him for years..

Anyone know of a David Freeman.. from somewhere in Eastern United States.. They served together in Guam. My Fathers name is John Fincher.

stevedore_red
02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
id like to see that picture if you have it .

Rainman
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Mscactus...MY Dad was in the 28th He was and electrician on Guam from 45 to 46 I have lots of pics and some more info he lived in a hut at the end of the airstrip and helped man a AA gun there if any of this makes any sense or rings a bell or you want to chat about what you know..or IF ANYONE does email me

Rainman
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
also my Dad was from Massachusetts and his buddy was Jack Rodregues from Fall River Mass

WW2son
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
My grandfather was a Seabee in the 77th construction battalion. I have been researching hime for years and i need help from others. He spent time in the Solomon Islands about a year and a half. He spent only a couple of months inthe Philippine Islands, anyway I would love to know what decorations he might have had. I have a time line and a photo of hime in his uniform after discharge. You can see 5 ribbons but its fuzzy. Thanks for any help...loner46@hotmail.com

Rainman
07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
doesnt anyone ever check this page but ME

seabeeed
08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Here is a link to the seabee museum: http://www.seabeemuseumstore.org/
They have an archive of cruise books from various seabee battalions that served in wwII. I hit paydirt with my dad's outfit and it was a real awakening to the sacrifices they made. He was newly married dec 6, 1941 when the Jap's bombed pearlharbor on the 7th. He had prior service in the Army so he joined the Navy and was drafted into service in the seabees. His service was relatively uneventful until they got ordered on to Iwo Jima on day 6 of that campaign. He met his daughter, my oldest sister when she was three years old.

seabeeed
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Here is a link to the seabee museum: http://www.seabeemuseumstore.org/
They have cruisebooks of some battalions from wwII. A cruise book is similar to a high school year book that covers the highlights of the battalions exploits.

Rainman
08-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I have been to the Davisville but they were working on the museum then and it was not open but I think I will have a marker made for my dad there thats where he trained before going to Guam thanks for the info Seabeed

martyn williams
08-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Hello all,I am looking for photos and information on Caterpillar dozers as used by the Seabees in WW2
Any info would be a great help as I am restoring a 1942 Cat D4 with Laplant choate blade.
Thank you
Martyn

jstone
08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes,

My father was in the 77th! He is currently living in Old Hickory, Tennessee.

Mary Higgins
09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Sure do. My Dad was a Seabee in Able Company in Guam, Guadalcanal, Bougainville to name a few places. I have photos of the Third Marine Division if interested.
sinovision@aol.com

Mary Higgins

shotei
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello everyone, my dad was also in the seabees, he was in the Pacific, mostly the Philippines. 1942. He was out of Camp Crowder MO. He passed away about 16 years ago, my mother passed away last year and I found a panoramic photo of my dad's company. The photo is about 3.5 ft. long and 10 inches high. Hand written at the bottom and hard to read it says 36 B'N Co. E 8/10/42. I'm not sure about the, B'N , don't know what that means. The photo is of 242 men in uniform. I'm 56 and when I'm gone I'm afraid this photo will be lost or destroyed. Is there some place I can donate this photo?

Rainman
11-19-2009, 07:07 AM
shotie
I don t know where you are located at but the SeaBee Museum in Davisville RhodeIsland would love to have it tthey take any artifacts they can and will have it on display..plus they can tell you allabout your pic I would imagine..Im think the the BN is for Battalion cause my Dad was in the 28th CB BTN ..why the navy chose to use battalion I ll never know LOL Good luck with your pic and let Me know how you make out the co. is company and E is the company designation

shotei
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Thank you very much, I will check out the museum and would be very honored for them to keep it as a public record.

roehler
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I have an uncle who served in the seabees during WWII in the Pacific. He will be 99 yrs. old in January. I was wondering if anyone can help me find any information, such as a list of surviving members, oldest, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

snowyday
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
My grandfather was in New Hebrides (sp?) WW2 Seabees electrican as a Chief Petty Officer. Name: James Senecal. He also did Golden Gloves Boxing and he was in his FORTYS. Any connection here?
Snowyday

nandre
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm so glad I found this site. My Dad was a Seabee serving in the Philippines in WWII. He left in 1943 and I believe he returned in 1946. I know he was on a ship for a while and that he talked about shaking cetepedes out of his boots. That's about all I know. Does anyone know any official site I can contact to find out about his stats in the Seabees? I'd like to know his company name and his exact years of service.

nandre
01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I just got information from my sister that she found an old photo of my dad and some others standing in from of a sign that read construction 47 Battalion. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

aleciawi
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
My father was also in the 40th. I have pictures from Los Negroes. I also have the diary he kept on board the William P Biddle on their trip through the Panama Canal on their way to Los Negroes including the line on February 3 "Well have landed on island X" which I have researched to be Los Negroes. I have copies of the newspaper articles for Associated Press and the Portland Journal. I would love to get more information on the unit. If anyone is interested in copies of what I have let me know. Contact me at aleciawi@comcast.net

Joneebgood
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
My father was also in the 122nd in Samar and the Phillipines. Warren Werner. I would love any photos that you may wish to share. Thanks for the help.
JIM

Joneebgood
06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Sorry, my first post. I intended the message for UNOGA AND LACONIA and others who are related to persons in the 122nd. I would appreciate any photos to share with my Dad.
jim@jwwerner.com

Laconia
07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
My father was also in the 122nd in Samar and the Phillipines. Warren Werner. I would love any photos that you may wish to share. Thanks for the help.
JIM

If you look in the beginning of this thread I posted a few photo's of my Dad. Pages 1 and 2. His name is Gillies Tardif, now 87 years old. Does your Dad have that 122nd Unit book by any chance? I haven't been here for awhile but I will check soon for your answer.

Daniel
07-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, our Dad, William Wilson Sutch, was in the 33rd Seabee Batallion serving in WW II in the Solomon Islands. He was a cook. We would enjoy hearing from others that may have know our Dad or been in the 33rd Seabee Batallion.
Dan and Gerry

WJJAMES
07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I am doing research on behalf of a good friend. His name is Harry Hall. He turned 97 last month. Harry was a SeaBee at Samar in the Philippines during the middle of 1945 and then at Tientsin in China. I am looking for photographs, a written history of the unit, or ?

Gen. Sandworm
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Since there is still interest in this thread ive moved it in to the american military section. Redirect expires in 10 days.

Laconia
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Please ask your friend what battalion he was in. Those dates and places you mentioned correspond to the unit my Dad was in - the 122nd.

Johnnyrt
09-03-2010, 04:34 PM
To the best of my knowledge, my father was stationed at Port Lyautey during WW2 and I am just trying to find out some info about what he might have done while there. He went into the Navy Sea Bees shortly after Pearl Harbor and was sent to the New Jersey area and worked there before going overseas. Like most SeaBees at that time, he was "older" (29-30) when he went in and already knew how to weld so he ended up being an instructor teaching others how to weld. He returned home sometime around December 1945. He NEVER talked much at all about any of his experiences during the war and even my mother never heard him share much about it all. They are both gone now and I am just a curious son getting older and more curious (and more proud with every tiny bit of info I dig up) and having a huge regret that I didn't "pry" more out of him about it. He was a Machinist Mate, Second Class with CB Maint Unit #566. His full name was Emmitt Lawrence Thompson but I am not sure if he went by Emmitt or Lawrence while in the service but he went by Lawrence at home. He was from Oklahoma and went back home there to spend the rest of his life. Any info that anyone has about that unit and what things they might have done while there, I would be honored to hear. My email address is johnnyrt@yahoo.com. Thank you so much for allowing me to post here.

Thurman
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a few things on the 33rd Seabee Battalion that may interest you. Send me an e-mail Jonathon17pim@aol.com

son of a patriot
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm so glad I found this site. My Dad was a Seabee serving in the Philippines in WWII. He left in 1943 and I believe he returned in 1946. I know he was on a ship for a while and that he talked about shaking cetepedes out of his boots. That's about all I know. Does anyone know any official site I can contact to find out about his stats in the Seabees? I'd like to know his company name and his exact years of service.
Hello my dad was in the Seabees and in the Phillipines in WWII. He left behind his war album that I inherited (he did in 1981 @ 57 years old). He never spoke about the war until a week before he passed. He turned to me and said the Japanese are getting even, their in my head. I have a lot of photos some are very graphic, but I also have a portrait of my dad done by hand. I was wondering if you found the offical site you were looking for, I too would like to find out more about my dad.

HomefrontSix
09-29-2010, 02:12 AM
My grandfather was with the 40th from 42-44. He passed away in 1974 and I'm trying to track down any information (and pictures) I can about him. His name was Marion Ira Brown - he went by Ira. He had ears that stuck out "like taxi cab doors", according to my Grama and Mom. Any information would be great!

homefrontsix@yahoo.com

son of a patriot
10-02-2010, 10:26 AM
My dad was in the Seabees in the Phillipines, he left behind a photo album. He never spoke about the war. He died in 1981 at the age of 57. I have the album and would like to share it with any other relatives to those who were there. I believe the operation my dad was in was called "The Phillipine Liberation" or something similar, like I said he never spoke about it. I will post some pictures. My dad's name was George H Kately. Someone he served with did a portrait by hand of him. Would like to hear from others.

jfriede55
01-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Hello - I am new to this and I see some of these posts are quite old. My dad is now 87 years old, and was a member of the 122 Battalion, Seabees. He is Paul Leslie ("Les") Anderson and lives in North Dakota. I read him the post below and he was enthralled. He was in all of the same places mentioned below: Port Huaneme, New Guinea (Hollandia), Phillippines (Samar). He also PLAYED THE CLARINET in that USO show Bob Hope performed in. He served from 1943 to 1946. He was the company clerk, and also chaplain's assistant. If you can share any names of your sailor dads and grandfathers who were in the 122ndI would love to share that with my dad to see if he remembers. I will also post some pictures the next time I visit him. Thanks so much.

seabees93.net
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, our Dad, William Wilson Sutch, was in the 33rd Seabee Batallion serving in WW II in the Solomon Islands. He was a cook. We would enjoy hearing from others that may have know our Dad or been in the 33rd Seabee Batallion.
Dan and Gerry

Hi Dan and Gerry, I have another 33rd Seabee cook's grandson on the line. Send me a private message and i will connect you.

Does anyone remember or have photos of Joe's Hamburgers on Banika Island? We would appreciate any information or photos. Also anyone with connections to the Russell Islands (Banika, Pavuvu), Green Islands (Nissan, Barahan), and Guiuan.

Laconia
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Hello - I am new to this and I see some of these posts are quite old. My dad is now 87 years old, and was a member of the 122 Battalion, Seabees. He is Paul Leslie ("Les") Anderson and lives in North Dakota. I read him the post below and he was enthralled. He was in all of the same places mentioned below: Port Huaneme, New Guinea (Hollandia), Phillippines (Samar). He also PLAYED THE CLARINET in that USO show Bob Hope performed in. He served from 1943 to 1946. He was the company clerk, and also chaplain's assistant. If you can share any names of your sailor dads and grandfathers who were in the 122ndI would love to share that with my dad to see if he remembers. I will also post some pictures the next time I visit him. Thanks so much.
As you probably know since I started this thread, my Dad was also in the 122nd. If your Dad has the 122nd book, my fathers name is Gillies L. Tardif and he is now 88 yrs old. He was a CM3, (Carpenters Mate 3rd class).

Laconia
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
My dad was in the Seabees in the Phillipines, he left behind a photo album. He never spoke about the war. He died in 1981 at the age of 57. I have the album and would like to share it with any other relatives to those who were there. I believe the operation my dad was in was called "The Phillipine Liberation" or something similar, like I said he never spoke about it. I will post some pictures. My dad's name was George H Kately. Someone he served with did a portrait by hand of him. Would like to hear from others.
Any chance you could post some of those pics here? Sure would be neat to see them.

SimonSays1
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
My wife's grandfather was a Seebee during WWII. I believe he was over in the Pacific.

Laconia
02-11-2011, 09:41 AM
My wife's grandfather was a Seebee during WWII. I believe he was over in the Pacific.
Well, see what info you can find about him and post here.

son of a patriot
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I will post some pictures first chance i get. Will try this weekend I'll pick some group pictures. Sorry about the delay busy as heck all of a sudden. I did purchase some stuff at the SEABEE museum store 100% of the money goes to the museum out in Ca. The baseball cap was made in China (go figure)

Baylee27
06-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi...I am new to this. My Dad was in the 122nd Seabee Battalion. He played clarinet in the band. He is 87 years old & still plays the clarinet & saxophone. He is Jack Witman & lives in PA. We have lots of pictures & would love to share them.

jfriede55
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Thank you. I asked my dad if he knows your dad and so far is doesn't ring a bell. I'll see if I can find the 122nd book.

drob4481
07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
My Grandfather was a Seabee in CBMU 506, he served on Samoa before getting sick & being sent back to the states to a hospital.

drob4481
07-07-2011, 03:46 PM
The files take a long time to get...when I wrote for My grandfather's years ago, it took almost 6 months!

drob4481
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
do you know which unit?

srhglsn73
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
My Grandfather was a Seabee from 1943-1946. He spent most of his time at the Mariannas ( unsure on spelling) Guam. He trained at Faragot(?) Idaho Seaman 1st class 34th special construction battalion c company. Grandpa was drafted into the Seabees at age 18 and was a grunt. Some pics of him at Pearl Harbor but nothing from Guam. Would be great to find someone who was also there.

mgoblueanne
08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
My father was in the 41st batallion and served in the jungles of New Guinea in 1943 to 1945. His name was Tony Canonie and I have a photo of his group there.

Laconia
09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
My father was in the 41st batallion and served in the jungles of New Guinea in 1943 to 1945. His name was Tony Canonie and I have a photo of his group there.

OK, so can you put it up on the thread? Always like to see photo's of our Seabees from bakk then.

mgoblueanne
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry, the picture is framed. I do have another little picture of him and I'll see if my husband can scan it into the computer one of these days. Anne

LSU_Sandie
10-22-2011, 04:13 PM
My dad was in the Seabees, but I know very little about his experiences. According to my mother he was spent some time in both Hawaii & the Philippines. He enlisted in 1943. He must have had some pretty rough experiences as he would not ever discuss his time in the service.

Jesse
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I am new to this forum, but just posted about my late father (T.J. McDaniel, Jr. of Bogalusa, LA). He served with the 73rd Naval Construction Battalion in the Solomon Islands. He shipped out May, 1943 about the USS President Polk and served until transferred to several Naval Hospitals due to skin disease problems. Places he hit were: Noumea, New Caledonia; Guadalcanal; and Munda Point, New Georgia. I have a photograph of the group he served in front of a tent with a sign reading "73rd N.C.B. Electrical Shop). My father just passed away (January), but if there is anyone from this group, I would gladly share this photo and information. My primary goal is to determine more about a possible Presidential Citation given to the unit for getting the airfield at Munda Point back in operation within 72 hours. Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Joe T
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Hi...I am new to this. My Dad was in the 122nd Seabee Battalion. He played clarinet in the band. He is 87 years old & still plays the clarinet & saxophone. He is Jack Witman & lives in PA. We have lots of pictures & would love to share them.

Hi Baylee, my dad was also in the 122nd, and we're from PA also. I'd love to see pics...I have some too. My dad just turned 90 last week.....2-2-22. His mind is a little fuzzy, and I never really asked him too many questions about this before.....I know one of the guys in charge was named MacMillen ( not sure of the spelling) I'd love to hear from you if you check in here now and then.
Thanks

Joe

Joe T
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
for anyone who had a family member in the 122nd ncb during WW2, check out this book on Google books...(the only place I've found it) it's called:" Base Pacific: the history of the 122nd naval construction battalion." I was able to create a pdf file from it and had it printed and bound at Staples today and gave it to my 90 year old dad....what a gift for him. If anyone wants the pdf, just let me know.

Laconia
02-20-2012, 05:45 PM
for anyone who had a family member in the 122nd ncb during WW2, check out this book on Google books...(the only place I've found it) it's called:" Base Pacific: the history of the 122nd naval construction battalion." I was able to create a pdf file from it and had it printed and bound at Staples today and gave it to my 90 year old dad....what a gift for him. If anyone wants the pdf, just let me know.

Just saw your entry here. I've got that book in my house! My Dad was of course in the 122nd (I started this thread). What was his name and I'll look him up. My Dad turned 89 this year and he was a CM.

Joe T
02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Just saw your entry here. I've got that book in my house! My Dad was of course in the 122nd (I started this thread). What was his name and I'll look him up. My Dad turned 89 this year and he was a CM.
Hello, the forum won't let me reply to your PM....not enough posts....My dad's name is Vito Tomasello...enlisted...on pg 95 I think.....we're in Pa too....Scranton....great to hear from you!!

Laconia
02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Hello, the forum won't let me reply to your PM....not enough posts....My dad's name is Vito Tomasello...enlisted...on pg 95 I think.....we're in Pa too....Scranton....great to hear from you!!

I'll check it out next time I get home. We've found a feww 122nd veterans in the Pa/Md area in the last 15 years or so. There was one guy that lived 5 miles from where my Dad was at. Were you able to receive my PM?

SonofSeabee
02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Well i hope i did this right. Just found this forum. My dad was on the FIRST CB detachment that left Camp Allen and went to Tonga in "42. His name was Phil "red" phillips. Called him Red because of his fiery red hair and beard. He was kinda famous for his antics over there...or so i heard. He was a "Rigger" according to his papers and what he told me. Don't know if any of the men are left from the First. My dad died in "89.

Laconia
02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Well i hope i did this right. Just found this forum. My dad was on the FIRST CB detachment that left Camp Allen and went to Tonga in "42. His name was Phil "red" phillips. Called him Red because of his fiery red hair and beard. He was kinda famous for his antics over there...or so i heard. He was a "Rigger" according to his papers and what he told me. Don't know if any of the men are left from the First. My dad died in "89.

One of the actual first Seabees? Wow. That's something for sure! I'm gonna have to do a little reading up on them. Glad you found the forum. Do you have any pics of your Dad in the service? If you do it would be great to see them.

SonofSeabee
02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
One of the actual first Seabees? Wow. That's something for sure! I'm gonna have to do a little reading up on them. Glad you found the forum. Do you have any pics of your Dad in the service? If you do it would be great to see them.

Hey how are ya. Yes, i have lots of pics of my dad and others. But i don't have them on a disk or flash yet. I'll work on that and post them here. I copied this mfrom a navy website............

" 1ST BATTALION

The First Battalion was commissioned at Camp Allen, Va., on March 15, 1942. Three weeks later, the first half of the Battalion, designated as the Second Construction Detachment, embarked for Tongatabu, just below the Samoa group. The other half of the First, designated as the Third Construction Detachment, sailed four days later for Efate New Hebrides. In April 1943, the Second and Third Detachments merged at Efate. In August of 1943, a detachment of 4 officers and 125 men which had been left behind at Tongatabu, sailed for Wallis Island, but rejoined the main body four months later. The First Battalion remained at Efate until they returned to the States in March of 1944. They were inactivated June 3, 1944."

Laconia
02-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey how are ya. Yes, i have lots of pics of my dad and others. But i don't have them on a disk or flash yet. I'll work on that and post them here. I copied this mfrom a navy website............

" 1ST BATTALION

The First Battalion was commissioned at Camp Allen, Va., on March 15, 1942. Three weeks later, the first half of the Battalion, designated as the Second Construction Detachment, embarked for Tongatabu, just below the Samoa group. The other half of the First, designated as the Third Construction Detachment, sailed four days later for Efate New Hebrides. In April 1943, the Second and Third Detachments merged at Efate. In August of 1943, a detachment of 4 officers and 125 men which had been left behind at Tongatabu, sailed for Wallis Island, but rejoined the main body four months later. The First Battalion remained at Efate until they returned to the States in March of 1944. They were inactivated June 3, 1944."

Great! I had a good find last night. I found the original logs of the 122nd, my Dad's unit. Next time I see him I'm gonna show them to him. Yes, it would be great to see some pics. Here are a few that I've got on my computer, some of them you might have seen earlier in the thread, but anyway I'll post them again. Believe it or not, I still have the navy tunic he's wearing. In the second picture he is pictured on board a destroyer being ferried to China as part of the U.S. occupation force. The third is Dad at the Seabee Memorial in D.C. about 10 years ago, and the final is the medal box I made up for him. i was able to photocopy the Seabee patch and rating insignia directly from the uniform tunic. I was pleased in how it came out.

SonofSeabee
02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Where did u find the logs at? I'm looking for anything on the 1st. I found a few things on navy.mil. Here's a few pics. My dad is the bearded one :)

The pic where he is standing under the trilithon on Tonga has a lot of meaning to me. I went to Tonga in "96 and had my pic taken under it. Of course it didn't look the same then, all the brush had since been cleared away. it's quite the tourist attraction now.

SonofSeabee
02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
oops, hit the enter button before i attached pics5956595559545953................

Laconia
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Where did u find the logs at? I'm looking for anything on the 1st. I found a few things on navy.mil. Here's a few pics. My dad is the bearded one :)

The pic where he is standing under the trilithon on Tonga has a lot of meaning to me. I went to Tonga in "96 and had my pic taken under it. Of course it didn't look the same then, all the brush had since been cleared away. it's quite the tourist attraction now.

Great pics and how did he get away with the beard? To get to the official logs of the 1st Battalion go to www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq67-1.htm and click on ww2, click on seabee unit histories, click on battalians and all the battalians are listed. It's a pdf file you can download. The logs are there. Let me know how you made out.

SonofSeabee
03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Found the logs, thanks. When the men got to tonga to build base bleacher the CO said they could grow beards so some of them did. just before he left to meet up with the others at Wallis he had to shave it off. He said it took him an hour to "clean up". Sure wish i could find any of the others from the first that is alive and might remember him. I would have a ton of questions for them.

Laconia
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Hey, I see you live in Norfolk. Camp Peary is near there if I'm not mistaken - that's where my Dad went through basic training. I have been down your way many times, it's a nice area. I was out in California not too long ago and went to Port Huanume, the embarkation point for many a pacific bound Seabee. I didn't get a chance to visit the base and the museum they have there, but someday i'll make the time. I also went to the Phillippines many years ago (Dad had been there too) and visited several of the battlesites there. That was definitely quite the trip.

SonofSeabee
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Yep, Peary is up 64 near williamsburg. I live here 3 months out of the year...winter. Live and work rest of year in Shenandoah Nat'l Park. I beleive my dad mustered out in Huaneme.

bken1313
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
This is a photograph of my grandfather Charles F. Baumann taken on September 24, 1943. I have virtually no information about his service. My grandmother gave me his CB bracelet when I left for college. Does anyone else have one of these?

Laconia
03-10-2012, 02:36 AM
This is a photograph of my grandfather Charles F. Baumann taken on September 24, 1943. I have virtually no information about his service. My grandmother gave me his CB bracelet when I left for college. Does anyone else have one of these?

That's probably something he had made up himself at some jeweler. Never heard of anything like that being issued. Sure would be neat if you could get some info on his service. Is there no other relatives of yours you could ask?

Easy
03-18-2012, 11:59 PM
My father was in the 28th Special during WWII. I have his cruise book and a bracelet like yours with his name on the front and serial number on back. His name was Leonard Stein from NYC and passed in1972 if there are any others from the 28th spec. Out there.

Rainman
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
My father was in the 28th Special during WWII. I have his cruise book and a bracelet like yours with his name on the front and serial number on back. His name was Leonard Stein from NYC and passed in1972 if there are any others from the 28th spec. Out there.

Hey

My Dad was in the 28th battalion on Guam in 1945..His name Is George Menard he was an electrician and had a hooch at the end of the runway where it used to be at the northwest side of the Isalnd..He passed in 2007...I have been trying to find anyone that had someone in the 28Th on Guam and your the first to even say they had some one in it
My Dadwent to several reunions but the numbers were dwindling of guys showing up....I have lots of pics of the camp and area...but none on here ..I can try to scan some not sure how it would work nbut ill try

email me if you feel like it

Regards

Bandit12
03-21-2012, 12:49 AM
My Dad, age 87, was in the 7th NCB on Okinawa and Saipan. Dad ran a steam shovel back then. He was 19 when he enlisted and he told me his Mom was really mad at him for doing it. He had an older brother in the Army and Dad had a deferment due to his working on a farm. He didn't have to go, but went anyway.

Dad gave me his ID bracelet Mom got him when he enlisted and a yearbook(?) that he got while there. I've managed to get him several Seabee items as presents over the past few years. With the help of some current Seabees, He now has a 7th challenge coin and patches, a Seabees flag, as well as other stuff.

I can remember clearly as a kid his unit held a reunion every even year sometime in June/July. They altered the location each time so it was easy for folks to travel, one year on the east coast, next one in the mid west, and then on the west coast. My Mom was the secretary for the guys and did a newsletter for them for years. The reunions stopped several years ago when it became apparent that most of the men had too hard of time traveling. My Dad is still one of the youngest guys from his old unit. One of my Moms favorite pictures was taken at a reunion that I came to while I was till active duty USAF and she got a pic of me in full dress uniform standing next to Dad.

I'd be intrested in hearing from anyone that had family in the 7th. I know several of the kids I attended reunions with must still be around.

Thanks.

xtof@mail.wf
04-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Sir,

In 2004, I created an Association named UVEA MUSEUM ASSOCIATION and we are looking for anything about Pacific War and especially Wallis island which was part of Samoan area.

During my research on internet, I read your message. I was wondering if you do have anything about Wallis island as stories or pictures to share with us.
If you could help us get more information let us know.

I attached some pictures of our little museum.

Regards

Christophe LAURENT
Uvea Museum Association
PO BOX 87
98600 Mata-Utu
Wallis and Futuna islands
South Pacific
TÚl : (681) 72-21-80
Fax : (681) 72-27-18

xtof@mail.wf
04-18-2012, 04:55 AM

" 1ST BATTALION

In 2004, I created an Association named UVEA MUSEUM ASSOCIATION and we are looking for anything about Pacific War and especially Wallis island which was part of Samoan area.

During my research on internet, I read your message. I was wondering if you do have anything about Wallis island as stories or pictures to share with us.
If you could help us get more information let us know.

Regards

Christophe LAURENT
Uvea Museum Association
PO BOX 87
98600 Mata-Utu
Wallis and Futuna islands
South Pacific
TÚl : (681) 72-21-80
Fax : (681) 72-27-18

Jesse
05-08-2012, 09:19 AM
My father (Thomas Jefferson McDaniel, Jr., or Tom) was in the 73rd Construction Battalion, performing electrical work. He lived in Bogalusa, LA and enlisted (11/13/1942) in New Orleans. He served until 10/23/1944 when he received his Honorable Discharge (he had medical conditions). He served on New Caledonia, Guadalcanal, and at Munda Point, New Georgia, working on repairing airfields and infrastructure for those serving on the islands. I have a photo of his group that I will gladly share. Would love to hear from anyone linked to this Battalion. THANKS!

fastmggirl
06-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi, first time posting here, and very new to military research. My Grandfather served in the 757th Corps of Engineers. They were the first supply group in Milne Bay, and from what I am finding, played a significant role in getting the "system" running for all of the pacific theater. My father remembers stories of him teaming up with the Navy Seabees, I'm not sure if it was Milne Bay, or Luzon. This was January-summer of 1944 Does anyone know anything that could help me out? Thanks!

Laconia
06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
My father (Thomas Jefferson McDaniel, Jr., or Tom) was in the 73rd Construction Battalion, performing electrical work. He lived in Bogalusa, LA and enlisted (11/13/1942) in New Orleans. He served until 10/23/1944 when he received his Honorable Discharge (he had medical conditions). He served on New Caledonia, Guadalcanal, and at Munda Point, New Georgia, working on repairing airfields and infrastructure for those serving on the islands. I have a photo of his group that I will gladly share. Would love to hear from anyone linked to this Battalion. THANKS!

Well, don't be shy - get that photo posted. I for one would be interested in seeing it.

cpo322
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
My Grandfather was M. Dubiel SF2 with the 1059th, he worked in a machine shop i think welding and repairing tires. He spoke only once about the navy and now is no longer with us. i wish I had asked more questions.

jmgnelson
08-17-2012, 07:24 PM
My Dad is a Seabee alive and well at the age of 87 living in New Orleans. Not sure of his batallion but I've told him about this forum and I'm hoping he will login because he's keen to find other seabees still living. I would imagine he was with the others who enrolled in New Orleans and served in the Phillipines and Japan.

Laconia
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
My Dad is a Seabee alive and well at the age of 87 living in New Orleans. Not sure of his batallion but I've told him about this forum and I'm hoping he will login because he's keen to find other seabees still living. I would imagine he was with the others who enrolled in New Orleans and served in the Phillipines and Japan.

Well, get in touch with him and find out his batallion and such. I know I am always keen to find out where people served. Or, idf he is on the computer send him here so we could talk.

akgeronimo501
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
My grandfather was a Seabee. I have no idea what unit he was in, but if anyone has any lists of Sailors by unit I would love to know something about his service. He wasn't sober a day after he got home and died in the 80's. His name was Willard Sterling McGann from Virginia.

scratchm
10-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Earl Erwin Minerd was a WW2 Seabee. Battalion 57th and the 82th.........

sallyajoseph
10-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Hello Everyone. I am new to this website, so I have absolutely no experience. I am interested in finding out if anyone might remember my father, Norman John Joseph, US Navy during WWII, a frog man, on three ships which I can remember: USS Altair, USS Thomas Stone and USS Leonard Wood. He passed on in 1977 at the young age of 55. I am trying to find any of his mates who might remember him. I have all of his Navy papers, etc. in storage in Florida, but am presently in Illinois (Chicago suburb) and have wanted , for years, to try to find someone he knew/someone who knew him. Forgive me for replying to (possibly) the wrong question.
Sincerely, Sally Joseph

scratchm
12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I was in 57th batt. on New Hebredes and Manus of Admiralties Islands in 1944 and later New Calidonia and Okinawa in 1945 with 82nd Batt. Can't seem to find any of my fellow seabees from either 57th or 82nd. Friend of mine can't find anyone from 27th batt. serving in 1945 on Okinawa. Earlm@wpa.net Earl Minerd

Laconia
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I was in 57th batt. on New Hebredes and Manus of Admiralties Islands in 1944 and later New Calidonia and Okinawa in 1945 with 82nd Batt. Can't seem to find any of my fellow seabees from either 57th or 82nd. Friend of mine can't find anyone from 27th batt. serving in 1945 on Okinawa. Earlm@wpa.net Earl Minerd

Hey, you've got to be in your late 80's right? My Dad turns 90 on the 24th of December. What was your specialty?

Drob44814481
07-17-2013, 04:08 PM
My grandfather served with CBMU 506 in WWII on Samoa. Anyone have any relatives from that unit?

thanks,

-Derek

hpc25
11-13-2013, 06:17 PM
My father was in the Seabees in WWII. Served in many of the places you've all discussed. Unfortunately, he died in 1982 and i dont have any records of his service. Not sure of the unit he served in. i am trying to track down what i can, but i've only just started. i dont even know his SS#, but i'm sure one of my siblings has it. Do any of you have a starting point or know of any resources where i can search these records? i was on the Department of the Navy site but it seemed a little overwhelming. again, i am new at this. thanks for any help you can give me.

Michael
12-27-2013, 07:24 PM
My grandfather,Gaylord Carter was in the 77th battalion in the philipines during the War. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Michael
12-27-2013, 07:36 PM
What Battalion,Unit was your dad in? My Grandfather was also a CM in the 77th Battalion.

Michael
12-27-2013, 07:44 PM
My Grandfather was a Carpenter's mate in the 77th battalion

tlfarmer10
12-30-2014, 02:47 PM
MY Dad was a Navy Sea Bee in the Pacific during WW2 he was in the Battle of Tinian and Siapan.. 3-28-1920. -- 1-16-2004. He was in the 27th Construction Battlion. RIP DAD

Cindywoman
03-19-2015, 07:07 PM
My father, William Arthur Hutchins, Jr. was in the 57th Battalion. I have several pictures of the time he was serving if you are interested.

tlfarmer10
03-19-2015, 08:13 PM
My father, William Arthur Hutchins, Jr. was in the 57th Battalion. I have several pictures of the time he was serving if you are interested.

Sure we talk about our WW2 Veterans in our Schools in Oklahoma. Be glad to give you a contact PHONE number

postler
06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
My dad was in the 2nd special battilion, we are having difficulty finding out info on the 2nd spec. Anyone have info to help us out

princessnarmor
12-07-2016, 08:07 PM
My dad was in the 46th Seabees, Solomon Islands, Admiralty Islands. He was in the first echelon to hit the beachhead of the Admiralty's. I was a late baby (he was 40 when I was born). I attended two of their reunions in the 70's

princessnarmor
12-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Why don't you start with ancestry.com. Pretty much all you need is a name. Might give you a second step.

Jbnkrt
01-09-2017, 08:09 AM
My Dad was in the Seabees in the Pacific. He was in New Guniea, Philippines, and China. Would be interested in hearing from any former Seabees or the children of Seabees .

My step grandfather was in the 33rd battalion, Frank Nichols. Having a hard time finding anything though.