PDA

View Full Version : Trip

Gen. Sandworm
11-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Well this isnt a real reward but however I would like it to be. Would anyone be interested in a trip to Normandy next year sometime. Would be nice to meet some fellow site member! For some of you this would be easy and others its the chance of a lifetime. Let me know what you think.????

BDL
11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Well this isnt a real reward but however I would like it to be. Would anyone be interested in a trip to Normandy next year sometime. Would be nice to meet some fellow site member! For some of you this would be easy and others its the chance of a lifetime. Let me know what you think.????

I'm considering going myself - dependant on possible exercise in Malawi and op tour in Afghanistan. Will have to see closer to the time.

Firefly
11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Depending on the dates I may be interested. I'm possibly off with BDL next year though.

Man of Stoat
11-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Sounds good.

PzKpfw VI Tiger
11-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Sounds amazing.......... now just have to find a way to let the parents know........... :? hmmmmm :twisted:

Cuts
11-30-2005, 05:38 PM

Sounds amazing.......... now just have to find a way to let the parents know........... :? hmmmmm :twisted:

Yes, I can see how it could be a problem for the younger members - or more precisely their parents:

Member: "Mum & dad, I'm just nipping off to Normandy"

Folks: "That's nice dear. Who are you going with ?"

Member: "Some blokes I 'met' on an internet site."

Slightly concerned folks: "Met on a site ? What do they do ?"

Member: "Some are serving servicemen, some vets and others I have no idea, but they 'like' WWII"

Concerned folks: "Oh really ? What do they talk about ?"

Member: "Well, tanks and soldiers and stuff"

More concerned folks: "Um, well anything else interest them ?"

Member: "Yes, some shoot firearms and some haven't but like to talk about them"

Marginally perturbed folks: "Anything else ?"

Member: "Oh yes, some think that Nazi uniforms are really cool !"

Worried folks: "*gulp* So you think you're off to France, with some people you've never met, who you've no idea what they do or if they have criminal records, of which some just like talking about guns and wearing jackboots and leather Gestapo coats ! :shock:"

Member: "Er, um, well - yes... :?"

Apoplectic parents: "Think again, you're coming to the seaside with us as usual !"

PzKpfw VI Tiger
11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure that's probably how it will go. Ha ha ha ha.

FW-190 Pilot
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
i wish i can go to germany and visit their Uboat mesuem, i heard they have a complete Uboat opens, so tourists can actually get into the boat to see

Btw, you must come to vancouver in 2010, its olyimpic for us:D

PzKpfw VI Tiger
11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
i wish i can go to germany and visit their Uboat mesuem, i heard they have a complete Uboat opens, so tourists can actually get into the boat to see

I'll be able to drive by then :D Vancouver here I come! :) :lol:

Firefly
12-01-2005, 03:39 AM

You are in Germany, or is there another Berlin :lol:

FW-190 Pilot
12-01-2005, 03:42 AM

You are in Germany, or is there another Berlin :lol:
one of the canadian city used to call Berlin, but was changed to some other name during world war 2

and yeah, i should have changed my location. i just make it berlin when i sign up to fool around.

Dani
12-01-2005, 03:44 AM
and yeah, i should have changed my location. i just make it berlin when i sign up to fool around.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You fooled me at that time!

Charles
12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Yes, I can see how it could be a problem for the younger members - or more precisely their parents:

Member: "Mum & dad, I'm just nipping off to Normandy"

Folks: "That's nice dear. Who are you going with ?"

Member: "Some blokes I 'met' on an internet site."

Slightly concerned folks: "Met on a site ? What do they do ?"

Member: "Some are serving servicemen, some vets and others I have no idea, but they 'like' WWII"

Concerned folks: "Oh really ? What do they talk about ?"

Member: "Well, tanks and soldiers and stuff"

More concerned folks: "Um, well anything else interest them ?"

Member: "Yes, some shoot firearms and some haven't but like to talk about them"

Marginally perturbed folks: "Anything else ?"

Member: "Oh yes, some think that Nazi uniforms are really cool !"

Worried folks: "*gulp* So you think you're off to France, with some people you've never met, who you've no idea what they do or if they have criminal records, of which some just like talking about guns and wearing jackboots and leather Gestapo coats ! "

Member: "Er, um, well - yes... "

Apoplectic parents: "Think again, you're coming to the seaside with us as usual !"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perfect representation :lol:

pdf27
12-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I assume you're referring to the Laboe Naval Memorial near Kiel.

Dani
12-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I assume you're referring to the Laboe Naval Memorial near Kiel.

http://www.warplaces.net/uk084_Marine_Ehrenmal_Laboe.htm

http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/u995 in German - more on U995 displayed.

Dani
12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Off-topic: Also U-505 is displayed in Chicago, IL:
http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html

U-534 is displayed in Wirral -UK:
http://www.historicwarships.org/displaypage.asp?page=13

Sorry once agin for my off-topic intervention.

BDL
12-02-2005, 10:22 AM

About four miles from my parent's house. Co located with two Falklands War ships (the frigate HMS Plymouth and the submarine HMS Onyx). I've been round the FI ships, not been on the U Boat yet though - it was very expensive last time I went. If I get a chance over Christmas leave i'll nip up and get some photos for you.

Dani
12-02-2005, 10:24 AM
If I get a chance over Christmas leave i'll nip up and get some photos for you.

On the exterior I suppose because they wrote:

It should be noted that the taking of photographs and digital images of the interior of the vessel is not permitted. This is a requirement of Den Bla Avis the U534's owners.

BDL
12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
If I get a chance over Christmas leave i'll nip up and get some photos for you.

On the exterior I suppose because they wrote:

It should be noted that the taking of photographs and digital images of the interior of the vessel is not permitted. This is a requirement of Den Bla Avis the U534's owners.

Suppose it'll have to be exterior shots only then :( .

I'll see what I can do inside :wink:

Gen. Sandworm
12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Seriously I think we could plan somekind of trip for all those who could make it. It would take some far planning in advance but I do think this is a good possiblility. Even if only 5-10 guys show im sure we could have a good time.

As long as they have beer in whatever country we should be okay.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhow ill email ww2admin and see what he thinks about it. Maybe we can start somekind of donation spot on the site. Sure it wont make much money but every little bit helps eh!!

Hiddenrug
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
This is a little off topic but anyone who lives in Australia or can afford to come to the great land down under go to the Cowra war museum in rural NSW or if you want to see a great assortment of firearms from WWI- Current go to the Small Arms Museum Lithgow NSW. If anyone wants any info PM me A.S.A.P!

:D :P CHEERS! :D :P

1000ydstare
01-07-2006, 06:49 AM
I might pop to Normandy, but again I am constrained by similar things as firefly and BDL.

There is also the "conning tower" near kiel, which is the memorial to the U-boat crews, with the sub visible from the water. The German navy still operate subs from near by, I think.

For the younger, or younger adult, members I would seriously recommend that you inform your parents if you wish to attend and book your accomodation before you travel. Ensuring that your family know exactly where you are staying.

Gen. Sandworm
01-07-2006, 10:02 AM
There is also the "conning tower" near kiel, which is the memorial to the U-boat crews, with the sub visible from the water. The German navy still operate subs from near by, I think.

Cool. Im heading to Germany tm. So hopefully i can take a trip up there. :D

Anonymous
01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
For me its just a 45 min trip to the U-505 :D

Dani
01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

PLT.SGT.BAKER, did you visited it already?
Login next time buddy! :lol:

Hanz Lutz
01-07-2006, 05:52 PM

PLT.SGT.BAKER, did you visited it already?
Login next time buddy! :lol:

Suggestion why admins do not turn off posting,like guest only registered users can post,thats better i think.

Dani
01-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Already done Claus!

Hanz Lutz
01-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Already done Claus!

Ok i didn't know only try to help, :wink: sorry for off-posting.

Dani
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Already done Claus!

Ok i didn't know only try to help, :wink: sorry for off-posting.

Never mind!

PLT.SGT.BAKER
01-07-2006, 08:25 PM
yes i accidently forgot to login :oops: :lol:

BDL
01-08-2006, 06:06 AM

About four miles from my parent's house. Co located with two Falklands War ships (the frigate HMS Plymouth and the submarine HMS Onyx). I've been round the FI ships, not been on the U Boat yet though - it was very expensive last time I went. If I get a chance over Christmas leave i'll nip up and get some photos for you.

Unfortunatley, I never got the chance to go while I was home on leave, I'm due some more leave in a couple of weeks (in between postings), if I go to my parent's for it, I'll go and get some photos then.

1000ydstare
01-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Any preliminary dates for this little meet up?

Gen. Sandworm
01-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Any preliminary dates for this little meet up?

Well I was all for the summer sometime. Now most of us are in Europe where the history is so .....

1. Who is interested in going?
2. Where might be the best place to meet? (I suggested Normandy)
3. Who wants to organize this? (I have no problem with it but im sure ill need help)
4. How long do we want or can stay?(1 week maybe)
5. Your location?
6. Best time for you?

If you are interested please help answer these questions.

Also list any other concerns you might have.

Firefly
01-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Although I'd love to come, I'm out I'm afraid. My Squadron has a hectic programme planned now. So the only free time I will have in the Summer will have to be spent with the Fireflies.

Sorry as it would have been excellent to meet some of you for a few days.

Man of Stoat
01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
To keep it cheap, someone could nominate a well-appointed campsite somewhere in Normandy.

Gen. Sandworm
01-22-2006, 09:57 AM
To keep it cheap, someone could nominate a well-appointed campsite somewhere in Normandy.

Good idea. Ill try to come up with some possible ideas. Might take me awhile but ill get back to you.

Gen. Sandworm
01-30-2006, 05:26 AM
If Normandy is the location............I think we would be best center around Caen. Just checking before i do some research..............has anyone ever been there before and could recommend a cheap hotel(or anything for the most part) for 5-20 guys for a week or so?

Also anyone interested in going that actually has a decent camera that could be the photo guy for the trip?

Gen. Sandworm
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Well I would still like us to be able to do this sometime in the future. Maybe its expensive for some of you to places we would like to go. Dont know maybe we could sell something to make money for the event. Not sure exactly how that would work but anyhow. Would be nice if we could all get together sometime and just meet. Take a tour of something ww2. Maybe its still to soon. But this is a project im not giving up on. So let me know your ideas?

Firefly
09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm still in for something if its possible. Work allowing I should be ok for next Summer, but if cost is a problem maybe later in the year - October etc will be cheaper?

FW-190 Pilot
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
for now, you can count me out
i simply dont have that kind of money:(

SS Tiger
09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Certainly more expensive for people coming from North America, from Britain to France, Austria, Germany ect it is quite easy to get airfares for less than 50.

I'd be up for it!

Wolfgang Von Gottberg
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Post deleted by user

GermanSoldier
02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
If for somehow somebody does go to Norway to meet him, will you send me a Private Message. It would be cool to know you were going to meet him.

Gen. Sandworm
12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Here is something that some of the members in the US might be able to make. If there is enough interest..........meaning 10-20 ppl. I will set this up. How about a nice little get together at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky. You give me enough promises and (we will work on the date) I will set this up.

Hopefully some of our other members can do the same in their countries.

What do you think?

tankgeezer
12-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Sounds like fun,, Better if in the warm months, but need to avoid the time when the ROTC is in town. They take up all of the motel space.

Gen. Sandworm
12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Here is something that some of the members in the US might be able to make. If there is enough interest..........meaning 10-20 ppl. I will set this up. How about a nice little get together at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky. You give me enough promises and (we will work on the date) I will set this up.

Hopefully some of our other members can do the same in their countries.

What do you think?

Sounds like fun,, Better if in the warm months, but need to avoid the time when the ROTC is in town. They take up all of the motel space.

Yea I was thinking April or May. But im open to suggestions and when ppl might be able to make it.

RifleMan20
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I would do it but can you do it in the summer or something, anyway i always wanted to go to that museam, and am pretty sure that mom wont care because i wanted to go, so sounds good, thats 3

RifleMan20
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
who bout in june its because that i get out of school then

Gen. Sandworm
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
who bout in june its because that i get out of school then

I would do it but can you do it in the summer or something, anyway i always wanted to go to that museam, and am pretty sure that mom wont care because i wanted to go, so sounds good, thats 3

June would be fine too! Parents are welcome as well! ;)

RifleMan20
12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
cool, anyway it was one of the places i always wanted to go to

Gen. Sandworm
12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
cool, anyway it was one of the places i always wanted to go to

Cool so we can say 3! Assuming that tankgeezer is okay with June!?!?!

tankgeezer
12-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm fine with it,, but remember to check on when the R.O.T.C. people are in town, they take up nearly every room in the area. There were 3 rooms left when I visited in July this year, and these the most expensive $62 a night. There are lots of small towns there abouts, so some research prior to organizing is wise.

RifleMan20
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
So its almost that time of year, do you guys think we can get a room if so am pretty sure am free during the 2nd week of june (the 8-14)

RifleMan20
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Ok, I guess ill take that as a no, but whatever

colonel hogan
01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
sounds great but im only 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Churchill
01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
This was last year, about Mayish. The idea of a trip was dead long ago, so it probably isn't happening anymore.

RifleMan20
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Sadly, maybe we can orginize it again, how bout it, hazah!!! Lol, I'm planning on going with my uncle in June but he hasn't decided if he was surely going.

tankgeezer
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm in, when in June might it be? It would be fun to have the Band of Brigands fall upon the museum for a day. Perhaps we can get a tour of the off exhibit vehicles. (the museum proper is somewhat small.)

Churchill
04-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Make it in July, preferably late, I'll be in France around then, and if that's where it'll be, I'll be in place.

RifleMan20
04-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Wish I could go in July, but since my parents are divorced, my father lives across this nation and usually I'm in Arizona at the time with him.

tankgeezer
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm open for most anytime of year, what month(s) will work for our site jugend?

herman2
04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I want to come too!. Can I come? Can I come?:D

RifleMan20
04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Of course you can, just don't get us kicked out of the museum ;) Though this is just for thought, awhile back, Tankgeezer did mention that the hotels in early June are usually full because of ROTC members, correct if I'm wrong.

tankgeezer
04-15-2009, 02:39 PM
that was the case when I went there in 2007, so it follows that they do this every year,, a phone call would answer the question tho,,,
:TAKE PARTICULAR NOTICE:
I have just spoken to the manager of a super8 in Radcliff Ky. and she said the the R.O.T.C. presence is usually during the months of June, July, and most of August. Now this will limit the availablility of space, but there are more places in Elizabethtown, and other nearby towns. If we decide to go there, we may find ourselves spread out a bit, if this is okay, lets move forward with a plan. All we need to begin is when can all interested members be available to go? post your responses here,, and we'll see whats what.

RifleMan20
04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds good, still in since I live the closes, I think.

tankgeezer
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Everyone interested in going post the month you prefer June, July, August,etc. so we can develop a plan. Also, The museum is free to visit, thought they do have a box for donations.And a nice gift shop too. They also have a website, and you can get an idea of whats there. I was told by the museum administration people that the armor museum is slated to be moved to Georgia in 2010. The Patton exhibits will remain in their present location.

tankgeezer
04-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Dont everyone post at once now,,, (Do I hear Crickets?)

Churchill
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, I'll say July, when I'm actually in Europe. M'kay?

tankgeezer
04-22-2009, 08:15 PM
The Youth of today,,,,:mrgreen:
Well, so far, there is Me, Rifle man 20, Herman2, and Churchill who will, using his mystical powers, Bi-locate from Europe. (a trick he learned from a Swami while serving Her Majesty in India. :) )

Churchill
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Hahaha, I wish I could. I live in Texas, but man, I miss Guildford... :(

RifleMan20
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
So wait, you are in Texas at the moment?

Churchill
04-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I've deceived everyone... :twisted:

tankgeezer
05-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Its looking like no one really wants to go, if so, we should just drop the idea.

RifleMan20
05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Again, it is sad. Really the enthusiasm was just gone. Maybe if more than, I dunno, 4 people go then it would be interesting but you know, this ain't a big site and maybe after a couple years, this site will be a dust valley.

tankgeezer
05-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, if people want to go, they can anytime, but remember you brigands, the Museum of Armor is moving to Georgia in 2010. The Patton exhibit will remain at the location. This may be a good thing, as the museum now shows only a small portion of the actual collection.Tanks, other types of vehicles, and an extensive collection of firearms, and other weaponry. There is no admission fee. (yet) and the staff is very helpful. There is also a nice gift shop, with loads of nifty things for sale. The German collection, and the T-28/95 alone, are worth the trip. There is for those in other lands, and nations a website showing most of the present exhibits. Google Patton museum, Ft. Knox.

herman2
06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Again, it is sad. Really the enthusiasm was just gone. Maybe if more than, I dunno, 4 people go then it would be interesting but you know, this ain't a big site and maybe after a couple years, this site will be a dust valley.

As long as we have Great MODS, this site will never bite the Dust!. Hail to our Mods! (the smart ones that is)

tankgeezer
06-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, it being the end of June, and there being no takers on a group visit to the Patton Museum, I think this is a dead duck, so lets drop the idea.

RifleMan20
06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Aye, anyway, I'm in Arizona. That's why I wanted early June but a couple of other people didn't want that time. So what, I had a feeling it wouldn't last. Oh well.