PDA

View Full Version : Comments

Gen. Sandworm
06-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Its anyone should have some comments about awards please post thems here.

Sturmtruppen
06-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I WANT A MEDAL FOR GENERAL SANDWORM!

Gen. Sandworm
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Well the medals are really for the members of the site. I would feel kinda weird giving myself medals. But when i grant one. You deserve it.

Sturmtruppen
06-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Well the medals are really for the members of the site. I would feel kinda weird giving myself medals. But when i grant one. You deserve it.
ok, know how are you going to feel,but im recommending you.

Walther
06-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Actually I find the idea about awards a bit silly. We are not the military, we are only a discussion forum (BTW, for me the same applies to ranks).

Jan

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually I find the idea about awards a bit silly. We are not the military, we are only a discussion forum (BTW, for me the same applies to ranks).

Jan
Jan,the idea of awards is for attracting people,making more interesting the forum,and helping to the rank,and too,when you are a more condecorated or higher rank,you will have priviliges if you`re important,you can be a moderator if your actitude is very good,it depends on our admin.

some members in this forums are or were part of the military.

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 11:24 AM

Jan

I have to say, I agree with you Jan. That's one of the reasons I haven't put the Administrator's Citation Medal or the Outstanding Site Service Medal in my signature, even though everyone agrees I clearly deserve them.

I suppose it will work as a thankyou to people who have put hard work into the site as long as no one takes it too seriously.

Walther
06-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Jan
Jan,the idea of awards is for attracting people,making more interesting the forum,and helping to the rank,and too,when you are a more condecorated or higher rank,you will have priviliges if you`re important,you can be a moderator if your actitude is very good,it depends on our admin.

I know that quite a few were or are in the military. This is why I distinguish this site FROM the military. There are some guys here who think because they are good at playing Call of Duty, they are like real soldiers.

Jan

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Jan

I know that quite a few were or are in the military. This is why I distinguish this site FROM the military. There are some guys here who think because they are good at playing Call of Duty, they are like real soldiers.

Jan
:lol: lol,thatīs true jan,im going to reply the same as crab:

I suppose it will work as a thankyou to people who have put hard work into the site as long as no one takes it too seriously..

Man of Stoat
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm afraid I agree with Walther - the idea is fundamentally un-British, and very brown-nosey.

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:00 PM
hey sergeant majors!,recommend a member! :)

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, if we are all going to have medals, I think I'll have one too:

http://www.photodump.com/direct/Tubbyboy/optelicrib.jpg

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:33 PM

http://img93.echo.cx/img93/8738/optelicrib8wc.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
gen sandworm,rules:

If you post one of these in your signature that you did not earn you will
lose the ability to have an avatar and issued 2 formal warnings.

no,we arenīt going to have all medals.
take care,you donīt want to be warned,no?

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I recommend everybody to read anouncements and rules.

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 01:37 PM
The picture doesn't seem to work - how do you post pictures?

EDIT: Pic seems fine now.

Man of Stoat
06-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Howsabout I recommend myself for the ARRSE Cyprus medal:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10828/arrsecyprusgatheringribbon.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, guys, this is very very silly. Especially getting all het up & threatening people with sanctions for displaying ribbons they were not awarded.

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
You arenīt obligated to have a medal,if you donīt like them,donīt accept them

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Howsabout I recommend myself for the ARRSE Cyprus medal:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10828/arrsecyprusgatheringribbon.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, guys, this is very very silly. Especially getting all het up & threatening people with sanctions for displaying ribbons they were not awarded.

man of stoat,i must congratulate you for your promotion to seargent major.

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Well said Erwin. Is there an award for 'gentle stirring to amuse other site members'?

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 01:53 PM

http://img93.echo.cx/img93/8738/optelicrib8wc.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
gen sandworm,rules:

If you post one of these in your signature that you did not earn you will
lose the ability to have an avatar and issued 2 formal warnings.

no,we arenīt going to have all medals.
take care,you donīt want to be warned,no?

I was making a small joke - the ribbon depicted is a real medal (Op Telic). It should also have a rosette but I couldn't find a picture with it.

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I was making a small joke - the ribbon depicted is a real medal (Op Telic). It should also have a rosette but I couldn't find a picture with it.
sorry, :) im only trying to do a good work in the site.

Well said Erwin. Is there an award for 'gentle stirring to amuse other site members'?
excuse me Crab,what do you wanted to say?,sorry for my very poor english.

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 02:02 PM
excuse me Crab,what do you wanted to say?,sorry for my very poor english

After Stoat had joined in with the "don't care about rank and awards on the site" argument, you congratulated him on his promotion to Sergeant Major. I thought that was a well timed wind up comment. It made me smile.

I'm not sure how to explain stirring, winding up, etc without using other idiom. It's more or less saying (or doing) something to provoke a reaction, but doesn't imply any malicious intent. Alles klar?

[edited to fix my html incompetence]

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
[quote="Erwin Schätzer(argentina)"]
excuse me Crab,what do you wanted to say?,sorry for my very poor english
[quote]

After Stoat had joined in with the "don't care about rank and awards on the site" argument, you congratulated him on his promotion to Sergeant Major. I thought that was a well timed wind up comment. It made me smile.

I'm not sure how to explain stirring, winding up, etc without using other idiom. It's more or less saying (or doing) something to provoke a reaction, but doesn't imply any malicious intent. Alles klar?
:D thanks

Man of Stoat
06-26-2005, 02:06 PM
winding up = "jemand veräpeln" or "jemand aufziehen" auf Deutsch

(edited to avoid mixing languages!)

Walther
06-26-2005, 02:50 PM
En Espanol Europeano:

Tomar la cabellera

es como hacer un chiste con alquien...
No se que es en Espanol Argentino.

Jan

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 02:51 PM
En Espanol Europeano:

Tomar la cabellera

es como hacer un chiste con alquien...
No se que es en Espanol Argentino.

Jan
gracias jan! :)
it must be tomar el pelo in the argentinian spanish (the argentinian spanish is very different than the rest.

thanks again jan

FW-190 Pilot
06-26-2005, 04:48 PM
just take it off and i pretend i didnt see it

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Who, me?

EDIT: In fact, why don't I put my other two up?

FW-190 Pilot
06-26-2005, 05:12 PM
thats correct

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Who, me?

I don't think Tubby can be punished for this. It's not a picture of a ribbon from the site medal page, and as far as I know, one is entitled to add any pctures one likes to one's signature, as long as it isn't offensive, racist etc. It's a classic subversive action though. I'll be PMing Tubby for tips on subversion if a certain ID card bill gets through. That, and emigrating.

Did make me think though - if Tubby is entitled to wear the TELIC medal, and has actually been awarded this medal, then he is in a minority, even amongst TELIC veterans.

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Who, me?

I don't think Tubby can be punished for this. It's not a picture of a ribbon from the site medal page, and as far as I know, one is entitled to add any pctures one likes to one's signature, as long as it isn't offensive, racist etc. It's a classic subversive action though. I'll be PMing Tubby for tips on subversion if a certain ID card bill gets through. That, and emigrating.

Did make me think though - if Tubby is entitled to wear the TELIC medal, and has actually been awarded this medal, then he is in a minority, even amongst TELIC veterans.

Thanks mate! I have only just got it - over two years after I got back

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 06:00 PM
tubbyboy,please,you donīt want to have problem with the mods and the admins,do you want?.

remove that award from your signature

Gen. Sandworm
06-26-2005, 06:08 PM

Who, me?

Thanks mate! I have only just got it - over two years after I got back

No I dont think you should be punished for it because it is not a medal from the awards list. However I do see it as an attempt to undermine an enjoyalbe addition to the site. Many people have congratulated me on the idea. So bottom line I wont punish you but I do find it rather disrespectful.

If you earned "whatever that is" award it is in real life thats great. But this is just a simple forum. And I make a distinction between the two on that level. Just coz somebody was a Major in real life doesnt meant that they get to be a Major on this forum. I seriously doubt the US Army is going to make me a Major General just because I was on this forum. If they did its a pretty sads state of affairs.

So im not happy with what youve done Tubbyboy but im not going to punish you for it.

End of discussion.

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 06:13 PM
tubbyboy,please,you donīt want to have problem with the mods and the admins,do you want?.

"That award" is a genuine medal that I am entitled to wear.

I have not taken it from anywhere on the site.
I am not portraying it as a site medal.
I have made sure that it looks different to the site medals.
I am (justly) proud of this medal, why should I not be allowed to wear it with pride? If the rules change to not allowing the wearing of real medals I will remove it, until then I will continue to display it.

Maybe I am being a little obstreperous, but I posted the image as a joke at first and was immediately threatened with warnings etc.

In protest at this I am now going to post all my ribbons in the signature block!

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 06:16 PM

Tubbyboy, this is Broadsword. Come in Tubbyboy.

And now the irony is in full swing. Admittedly, I have only Tubbyboy's word on this, but my gut feeling is that he speaks the truth when he claims he is entitled to wear the TELIC medal.

Gen. Sandworm has made certain well explained threats against those who might post WW2inColor medal ribbons in their signature. This is a matter of record. However, there is nothing on this site that restricts one from attaching other images to one's signature. The irony in this case is that a member posting a ribbon that he is entitled to wear in the real world is being commanded to desist from doing do so on this site by those who have not the entitlement to wear their site ribbons in the real world.

I am in two minds over this. The first is that we need a site constitution to clear up such matters - but only if the French and Dutch, amongst others, ratify it in a referendum. The second mind says that Tubby is posting his TELIC ribbon (why is TELIC in capitals when it's a proper noun, not an acronym - except Tell Everyone Leave Is Cancelled etc?) purely to be subversive. It neither harms nor offends anyone. The harm test should be applied to pubic laws. The offense test is valid for places where membership is voluntary, such as this site. As such, there is no reason to ban it. Moreover, what would it say about this site if the mods / admins allow members to use the Nazi Swastika, but not ribbons from medals won in the liberation of a subjugated people?

pdf27
06-26-2005, 06:33 PM
It has to be said that I have far more trouble with non-military people making up medals and adding them to their sig (which is after all what the site medals basically are) than with genuine military people displaying ribbons for decorations which they have genuinely earned in real life.
If tubby hadn't earned the Telic medal (or the other two) he should clearly not be allowed them - but as he apparently has, he should keep them in his sig.

For those of you who don't know what I'm on about, Operation Telic was the British contribution to the invasion of Iraq, and those who were on it (and the subsequent occupation? not sure on that one - anyone?) are entitled to a campaign medal. Which is only just appearing!

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 06:35 PM
No I dont think you should be punished for it because it is not a medal from the awards list. However I do see it as an attempt to undermine an enjoyalbe addition to the site. Many people have congratulated me on the idea. So bottom line I wont punish you but I do find it rather disrespectful.

If you earned "whatever that is" award it is in real life thats great. But this is just a simple forum. And I make a distinction between the two on that level. Just coz somebody was a Major in real life doesnt meant that they get to be a Major on this forum. I seriously doubt the US Army is going to make me a Major General just because I was on this forum. If they did its a pretty sads state of affairs.

So im not happy with what youve done Tubbyboy but im not going to punish you for it.

End of discussion.

I appreciate what you are saying, however, I initially posted the ribbon as a bit of a joke - not even in my signature block. I was immediately threatened with reprisals. I took umbrage at this and decided to go the whole hog.

I am proud of that medal in particular, even if I did not agree with the war in Iraq. BTW, if anyone is interested, the other two are Northern Ireland (30 days non consecutive service) and Queens Jubilee.

As a sop to those who are getting worked up, I have made it clear in my signature that they are not site medals.

Ho hum...

Tubbyboy
06-26-2005, 06:37 PM
For those of you who don't know what I'm on about, Operation Telic was the British contribution to the invasion of Iraq, and those who were on it (and the subsequent occupation? not sure on that one - anyone?) are entitled to a campaign medal. Which is only just appearing!

Absolutely correct, anyone involved in Telics 2 onwards gets the medal but no bar/rosette.

Sturmtruppen
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
this guy has a big deffence

Crab_to_be
06-26-2005, 06:49 PM
[...]

End of discussion.

Now that's a reasonable conclusion. I'm happy with it. Now, if only we could get Gen. Sandworm moderating the second reading of the ID card bill, the world would be rosy once more.

South African Military
06-26-2005, 10:15 PM

Tubbyboy, this is Broadsword. Come in Tubbyboy.

And now the irony is in full swing. Admittedly, I have only Tubbyboy's word on this, but my gut feeling is that he speaks the truth when he claims he is entitled to wear the TELIC medal.

Gen. Sandworm has made certain well explained threats against those who might post WW2inColor medal ribbons in their signature. This is a matter of record. However, there is nothing on this site that restricts one from attaching other images to one's signature. The irony in this case is that a member posting a ribbon that he is entitled to wear in the real world is being commanded to desist from doing do so on this site by those who have not the entitlement to wear their site ribbons in the real world.

I am in two minds over this. The first is that we need a site constitution to clear up such matters - but only if the French and Dutch, amongst others, ratify it in a referendum. The second mind says that Tubby is posting his TELIC ribbon (why is TELIC in capitals when it's a proper noun, not an acronym - except Tell Everyone Leave Is Cancelled etc?) purely to be subversive. It neither harms nor offends anyone. The harm test should be applied to pubic laws. The offense test is valid for places where membership is voluntary, such as this site. As such, there is no reason to ban it. Moreover, what would it say about this site if the mods / admins allow members to use the Nazi Swastika, but not ribbons from medals won in the liberation of a subjugated people?

Very well said. I personally see no harm in posting your own medels/ribbons in the sig. space. After all you can post whatever you like there.

Crab_to_be
06-27-2005, 04:37 AM
I've been awarded the site peacekeeping medal! Earlier comments will explain why it's not in my signature, but here's my tuppence on the reasons for the award itself.

Guessing from the image name, it's a UN related medal. How appropriate here. On the thread in question, I turned up late without the necessary authority or ability to stop the fight. Both parties paid my actions token attention and then continued as before. Classic UN! It could have been worse - both sides could have turned on me and then I'd have been in a right pickle.

Gen. Sandworm
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I've been awarded the site peacekeeping medal! Earlier comments will explain why it's not in my signature, but here's my tuppence on the reasons for the award itself.

Guessing from the image name, it's a UN related medal. How appropriate here. On the thread in question, I turned up late without the necessary authority or ability to stop the fight. Both parties paid my actions token attention and then continued as before. Classic UN! It could have been worse - both sides could have turned on me and then I'd have been in a right pickle.

Yes the actual medal is a UN medal. But whatever its your choice. If you change your mind later you can where it. If not ......... then dont. Regardless you have been awarded the medal.

Sturmtruppen
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
can you allow me to add other ribbon to the list of awards?,i want to search another.

Sturmtruppen
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
you can give the same ribbon to two different members,because both of them gained it?.

Commando Jordovski
08-01-2005, 03:49 AM
How do you find out if someone is a member or not?

1000ydstare
08-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Punisments for signature block infractions? Behave!!!

PS I'm STILL waiting for my Op Telic medal, even though I deployed in October 2002!!! And my Op Telic 3 medal!!!

Gen. Sandworm
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Does anyone have any objections to making the awards a bit smaller such as Firefly had done???????

SS Tiger
01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Does anyone have any objections to making the awards a bit smaller such as Firefly had done???????

I don't, I think its a good idea!

Tsolias
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Seconded.

HG
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM

I agree with SS Tiger.

Henk

Iron Yeoman
01-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I think it's a sound idea, stops sigs getting too large.

Ryan
03-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I think the medals are an awesome idea! Great way to get people active in the forum, etc. And I nominate Gan. Sandworm for an Outstanding Person Award(Made up but still)

CDN3RD_Canadian
03-29-2006, 06:03 PM
well on the size issue, if they are smaller, it will keep the sig size smaller, but they do look really good how they are right now.

GermanSoldier
01-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Their should be medals for good threads.

GermanSoldier
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello, I want the members of the forum to notice the moderators and adminiastrators that are helping us every day on the forum. I thank we owe them a great thanks. All of them should get a medal of some sort. I owe a great thanks to Panzersnacker and Gen.Sandworm for getting me out of my short posting habit. I thank you for that. Some people are starting to accept for who I really am. Thank you for your time viewers.

RifleMan20
03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I would have to agree with GermanSoldier because these mods and the admins not just for there help but for the kindness.Panzerknaker and Gen.Sandworm are two peeps who we have to all should give great thx to,they are teachers and friends.

Wolfgang Von Gottberg
03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but maybe your rank could be raised for the number of replies you have (From other members) in a thread?

Heh...is this in the right place..?

ww2admin
03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but maybe your rank could be raised for the number of replies you have (From other members) in a thread?

Heh...is this in the right place..?

Wow, I think you're on to something there. I'll think about this. This would be a great way to help filter out "junk" posts from "quality" posts.

Wolfgang Von Gottberg
03-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Yay!! If that happens... I think Panzerknacker will be general soon... XD

GermanSoldier
03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Actually I thank it is a great idea. Yeah Wolfgang Von Gottberg Panzersnacker would be a general for his great thread ideas.

GermanSoldier
03-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Actually I thank it is a great idea. Yeah Wolfgang Von Gottberg Panzersnacker would be a general for his great thread ideas.

Maybe I can change this a little bit. I was thinking about this in my extra time and I thank if you get posts for people who posts in your thread it should probably be in the World War 2 topics. None of the extra stuff. Because it would not make any since for getting post numbers for your threads in the off-topic area because remember this is a World War 2 Forum. I thank single post in off-topic threads should be counted, but just for the individual that posts it.

ww2admin
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I just need to activate the "reputation" voting tool. Basically if you find a thread helpful, you can click a person's reputation icon and they will get like a star or something,. I'm not sure yet, but i ll look into this. We can then give promotions based on number of stars, not posts.

GermanSoldier
03-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Whatever works for you works for me. Would that mean our rank we have now will restart or can we keep it?

Gen. Sandworm
03-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Now that I think about it, I think I just need to activate the "reputation" voting tool. Basically if you find a thread helpful, you can click a person's reputation icon and they will get like a star or something,. I'm not sure yet, but i ll look into this. We can then give promotions based on number of stars, not posts.

Well from what i see...........I think this would be too hard to tie into the ranking system. However reputations would be good in detering some dumb posting.

1000ydstare
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Unless you get dumb people voting for dumb posters....

We have had a few cliques of dumb followers of dumb posters, in the past putting people up for medals that were at best dubious.

On another note, why can we only put 4 pics up on a post? I keep having to post in many installments, as I like to bring pictues and quotes to the site, rather than send the readers away to the originals.

I think bringin g the info in, allows for better threads, you can read in depth later if you wish.

Gen. Sandworm
03-25-2007, 04:23 AM
On another note, why can we only put 4 pics up on a post? I keep having to post in many installments, as I like to bring pictues and quotes to the site, rather than send the readers away to the originals.

This problem should now be fixed. I havent had time to test it so please do and alert me to any problems. Thanks.

1000ydstare
03-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Didn't work as of yesterday, see my post on canoes with 4 military canoe pics from a dutch site and the klepper canoes in Windriders canoe thread.

Gen. Sandworm
03-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Didn't work as of yesterday, see my post on canoes with 4 military canoe pics from a dutch site and the klepper canoes in Windriders canoe thread.

Just fixed it today!

GermanSoldier
03-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Great to here that Gen. Sandworm. Great job if I must say so myself. You are doing great things to the site and keep doing what your doing on the forum.:cool:

RifleMan20
03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
i dont know if this is the right place to put this but is alright with you guys if i advertise on gamespot?

GermanSoldier
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
i dont know if this is the right place to put this but is alright with you guys if i advertise on gamespot?

why would you want to advertise gamespot:confused: ? please tell me why because i think it is pretty stupid.

RifleMan20
03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
well mostly becaause there is alot of ww2 fans that dont know about this site,am on a COD union and they know alot and love WW2

GermanSoldier
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
well mostly becaause there is alot of ww2 fans that dont know about this site,am on a COD union and they know alot and love WW2

Ok, but it might be a bad idea because I have met gamers that mess up everything. Which accept gamespot is a popular place. Gamers that like to mess up stuff would have no probably registering here and messing the forum up. So it has its up and downs on it.

RifleMan20
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
alright ill try to be stricted with them then

Wolfgang Von Gottberg
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I think this growing addition to the ranking system will help make negative reputations more positive as well... >.>

Heh...everyone stares at me... ><*

FREDERICK MULLIS
04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Where can we find a listing of the site medals and what they mean? I see fruiot salad on different peoples posts and have no idea what they are.

Panzerknacker
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Did you check in here ?

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2084