PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers

Gen. Sandworm
06-18-2005, 07:21 PM
K not a movie but a series but still fits into this catagory. I think this is one of the best WW2 series of all time. And if you make it a 10hour movies its still great. One of the best hands down in my opinion.

Cactus
06-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I loved it, when it was over though I was like nooo. To bad it wasn't longer would have been awsome.

PzKpfw VI Tiger
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Band of Brothers is like my fav. T.V. series of all time. After it was over I got kinda sad :( No more Band of Brothers :( . Anyway, I think it was a great series. :D

Tsolias
06-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Great series!
Made me a child again-watching the Combat series and all...

Cactus
07-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Great series!

Combat is awsome. I am so glad they released it on DVD. Have you been getting the seasons? I think one more is left to be released.

Caliber
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
yeah i agree it was a great series

Tsolias
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Great series!

Combat is awsome. I am so glad they released it on DVD. Have you been getting the seasons? I think one more is left to be released.

Im afraid it hasn't reach Greece yet

:(

temujin77
07-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Band of Brothers is among my favorites on WW2 (Tora, Tora, Tora being another). Ambrose is a great author, hence allowed Spielberg and Hanks to make such a good mini-series. I highly recommend reading the actual book Band of Brothers, it's a very easy reading (compared to some other authors Ambrose writes in very plain language) and it contains some scenes and descriptions that Spielberg and Hanks did not get into with the on-screen version of the story.

Curahee! is also a good book, my colleague at World War II Database wrote a review of the book here: http://ww2db.com/read.php?read_id=19. The book is written by Donald Burgett, a member of A company, 1st battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. You should read it and remind yourself that there's more to the 506 PIR than **** Winters and his Easy Company! :)

Firefly
07-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I think this was an excellent no-holds barred series, for reasons I wont bore you with I actually watched this in Black & White the first time and at some points it was almost documentary. When I re-viewed it in colour it was a diffrent experience.

I am an indiffren fan of Ambrose, sure his style is readable but he often gets the facts wrong, his Pegasus bridge book being one and like a lot of US authors forgets about the contribution made by other forces (though not to the same extent as others). Also in his eyes Eisenhower can do no wrong, but thats for another thread.

lieutlienant Vorontsov
07-03-2005, 02:36 PM
So its very good!

temujin77
07-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I am an indiffren fan of Ambrose, sure his style is readable but he often gets the facts wrong, his Pegasus bridge book being one and like a lot of US authors forgets about the contribution made by other forces (though not to the same extent as others). Also in his eyes Eisenhower can do no wrong, but thats for another thread.

Yes, about Eisenhower, definitely a whole other thread :)

I've heard that critique of Ambrose, and I've spotted some mistakes in his earlier works also. His general stereotype that every unit the Easy Company faced was crack German troops kind of got to me by the end. However, when reading Ambrose's works, one must keep in mind that he wrote it as a memoir of the soldiers he interviewed. While many critics argued that he could have and should have done some researching before he published the interviews, I think in a way I can almost ignore those factual errors and appreciate the feeling that while reading it, it's almost like you're conducting the interviews with the veterans.

Kurt Panzer Meyer
07-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Am currently watching this for the upteenth time. I don't know, but watching it on a projector is truly an awesome experience, and *puts you in there*. I too agree that an extra episode or two, would not have gone astray. Sad that Nixon died in '95. All the more that these two mates maintained their friendship for so long after the war. It is truly a remarkable production. I confess that I have not read the book though.

Firefly
07-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Yes, about Eisenhower, definitely a whole other thread :)

I've heard that critique of Ambrose, and I've spotted some mistakes in his earlier works also. His general stereotype that every unit the Easy Company faced was crack German troops kind of got to me by the end. However, when reading Ambrose's works, one must keep in mind that he wrote it as a memoir of the soldiers he interviewed. While many critics argued that he could have and should have done some researching before he published the interviews, I think in a way I can almost ignore those factual errors and appreciate the feeling that while reading it, it's almost like you're conducting the interviews with the veterans.

Agreed on the point of interviews and on the crack unit point. Still it does portray very well how confusing and scarey actual combat was and also how tedious the bits in between were, which after all is what are most.

WaistGunner
01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Since this isn't technically I movie I have to rate as my all time favorite "production". The book was incredible as well but I can certainly see the point of Ambrose making to big of a case out of somethings i.e. the crack units. He wrote another book about Lewis and Clark and it seemed that every other sentence for a while ther was "This was the first time ______ happens west of the Mississippi." It got old quick. Book was good though.

Band of Brothers: Two thumbs WAY up.

Nickdfresh
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I think this was an excellent no-holds barred series, for reasons I wont bore you with I actually watched this in Black & White the first time and at some points it was almost documentary. When I re-viewed it in colour it was a diffrent experience.

Ambrose was accused of plagiarism in his final book:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743223098.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apparently an entire passage was lifted verbatim from an earlier work, but he was allowing his son (a very poor interviewer) and others to do much of his research and some writing for him as he was dying of lung cancer...

Having said that, "Band of Brothers" was an excellent read...

mrfo
02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Band of Brothers is a great series, very detailed and trustfull. Anyway, i've read there's a second series coming up by HBO, this time about the Pacific War against the Japanese.

Band of Brothers is like my fav. T.V. series of all time. After it was over I got kinda sad :( No more Band of Brothers :( . Anyway, I think it was a great series. :D

PLT.SGT.BAKER
02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the site mrfo! :D

HG
02-15-2006, 08:03 PM
I watched it in History class untill the ******* of a History teacher?head master lost the last episode and I never got to see it. Please what happend in short?

Henk

Firefly
02-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Henk

In short.

War ends, they all go home..................................

jnd2089
02-18-2006, 05:09 PM
One of the best drama series made of the Second World War!! They really made a good job in filming it!!! 10/10

Virgil Hiltz
03-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Ambrose was accused of plagiarism in his final book:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743223098.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apparently an entire passage was lifted verbatim from an earlier work, but he was allowing his son (a very poor interviewer) and others to do much of his research and some writing for him as he was dying of lung cancer...

Having said that, "Band of Brothers" was an excellent read...

Unfortuntely, He has a much longer list than just The Wild Blue. His pattern was to find some unpublished work or personal memoirs and then re write it. He borrowed heavily from a British 6 Paras vet by the name of Denis Edwards. PFC Edwards was in the first glider at Pegasus Bridge. Major John Howard asked Denis to lend Ambrose his unpublished memoir for help. Ambrose with some interviews used it extensively. This was the case with most of his works. He basically rewrote other works with some additional imput. There are too many cases for this to be discounted as easily as Ambrose would like you to do.

The historians job is to get the facts straight. He ignored this when he was challenged for mistakes, often by the person they were about. He is a very widely known writer , but he suffers as a historian by his arrogance and rewriting of others works.

Nickdfresh
07-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I found this site on the net: http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3009

Panzerknacker
07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Minimal mistakes in comparisong with the crappy "Saving private Ryan"

war heroes
08-19-2006, 09:20 PM
band of brother was one of the best ww2 movies ever made in my opinion. i think it was really great. it opens your eyes to the world of the airbourn and they stuff they do. saving private ryan used to be mine but not until i saw BOB "band of brothers". saving private ryan is just geting boring now after like the twenteth time but with band of brothers i think you could watch in millions of buddles.

thank you

FW-190 Pilot
11-03-2006, 07:55 PM
David Schwimmer is in the first episode, always makes me laugh when he comes up. Maybe he is from friends too.

FW-190 Pilot
12-06-2006, 06:34 PM
i just watch part 2 of the series, it was amazing. I wish the entire series is just as good.

I wish the sound effect of my tv is better though, what a waste to such good film.

But is that true that the pilot make the green light for airborne units too early?

stubacca
12-10-2006, 01:59 PM
it was awesome, i was so annoyed that it finished, i wanted more, but i watched it again a bit later and i still didnt get tired of it.

VonWeyer
12-11-2006, 03:45 AM
I've watched the whole series 4 times over.Definately one of the best!

FW-190 Pilot
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
http://piggymoo.com/bandofbrothers/?episode=01

Here is the link to watch all band of brothers online.

Disclaimer: i did NOT upload this, and if ww2admin or the rest of the mods think this is not appropiate to post the link, please delete it.

angform
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
its a great serie

GermanSoldier
01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes it was a good series. Another good series is the Rat Patrol.

Francesca1973
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
I love Band of Brothers. I'm on my second viewing now. Some of the combat scenes were really hard to watch because you feel like you are right in the middle of it with them. My heart was pounding and I was cringing during the winter scene where the germans are just pounding the hell out of them with heavy artillery. I think the rawness of the battle scenes is a good thing, though, because this movie does not glorify war at all. It doesn't just tell us that war is hell." It shows us that war is hell. I had watched B of B and then Windtalkers came on t.v. and I watched it because I'm fascinated with the Navajo Code talkers. I was extremely disappointed with Windtalkers after B of B. It just couldn't hold a candle to it. I actually missed the men of Band of Brothers when I was done watching it the first time. Then when I found out which ones were no longer alive, I felt like I'd lost a relative. I will be the first in line for the series about the War in the Pacific.

shoogs
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
now this is the best ever and follows the book all the way just great

cam77
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I am currently watching the series for the third time. It's showing on the History Channel here in oz.

On a different topic has anyone out there read Devils Guard? An excellent read as it is from a German Waffen SS point of view.

AllHailCesar
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I am currently watching the series for the third time. It's showing on the History Channel here in oz.

On a different topic has anyone out there read Devils Guard? An excellent read as it is from a German Waffen SS point of view.

Is this a historical novel??

32Bravo
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes it was a good series. Another good series is the Rat Patrol.

I used to love The Rat Patrol, back in the sixties. They took it off British T.V. as it was considered to be a little controversial.

32Bravo
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Yes, I have a copy. It came up quite recently on another thread. I first read it in the early seventies, when it was first published, and my chums and I had just devoured all of the Sven Hassel books. I purchased my existing copy when it was reprinted in 1984. I think it has shades of Sven Hassel and is probably as authentic?

FW-190 Pilot
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
i just finish the series for the first time, i think the series is great! Especially the battle scene! However, i think the series would be a little bit better if they include a bit of German's perspective of the war. I mean the battle of the Bulge would be the best time to introduce some germans and to explain why they start that battle and what they want to achieve. Something like that.

And you think a pacific version of band of brothers is possible? that would be great if they decide to make one.

cam77
04-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes, I have a copy. It came up quite recently on another thread. I first read it in the early seventies, when it was first published, and my chums and I had just devoured all of the Sven Hassel books. I purchased my existing copy when it was reprinted in 1984. I think it has shades of Sven Hassel and is probably as authentic?

I have been searching for a copy. Where did you find yours?

cam77
04-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Is this a historical novel??

Yes it is. It is a second hand account and starts off with the retreat of Germany from the Soviet forces and the SS officers flight from prosecution from the allies and there subsequent joining of the French Foreign Legion.

The majority of the book is situated in Vietnam where the French had their arse kicked. All except a group of former German soldiers who's tactics were less than ethical. To give you an example one chapter is called arsenic and bayonets. Enough said.

AllHailCesar
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes it is. It is a second hand account and starts off with the retreat of Germany from the Soviet forces and the SS officers flight from prosecution from the allies and there subsequent joining of the French Foreign Legion.

The majority of the book is situated in Vietnam where the French had their arse kicked. All except a group of former German soldiers who's tactics were less than ethical. To give you an example one chapter is called arsenic and bayonets. Enough said.

Thanks for the tip.....I'll put it on my list!

32Bravo
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I have been searching for a copy. Where did you find yours?

On my bookshelf. I purchased it in 1984. :(

32Bravo
04-12-2007, 02:08 PM
i just finish the series for the first time, i think the series is great! Especially the battle scene! However, i think the series would be a little bit better if they include a bit of German's perspective of the war. I mean the battle of the Bulge would be the best time to introduce some germans and to explain why they start that battle and what they want to achieve. Something like that.

And you think a pacific version of band of brothers is possible? that would be great if they decide to make one.

The nearest I've seen to a Pacific version, was the film: The Thin Red Line - excellent!

Director Terrence Malick's adaptation of James Jones' autobiographical 1962 novel, focusing on the conflict at Guadalcanal during the second World War.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120863/ (the film is in colour)

As for a German perspective, I would rather like to see one of the Normandy Campaign.

32Bravo
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM

It's meant to be first-hand, non-fiction account, written by the C.O. of the battalion. The whole battalion consists of former members of the Waffen SS who escaped from germany and joined the Foreign Legion en masse. They believed in fighting terror with terror, using techniques which they had perfected against Russian resistance fighters during WW2. For example: when up against communist infiltrators from China, they launch a covert mission into China to deal with them.

Another chapter describes how they round up villagers from villages which straddle a road that their convoy is to move along. The villagers are tied to the trucks so that the guerillas wont ambush it as they are their own families.

32Bravo
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.hailerpublishing.com/devilsguard3.html

http://www.hailerpublishing.com/index.html

Croat
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
It is definetly the best series or movie what ever,that i saw it contains lots of action and it very interesting when it was over i was kind of sad i hope they'll make some new episodes. a few sargents of the easy compyny still live today.

Sgt.Malarky
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Dude i'm only nine and this movie is so awesome.it is like the most best combat movie made

Winters
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
i always find listening to the title music , and the violin solo always leaves me with a lump in my throat.

Croat
06-17-2007, 06:41 AM
yes it's the best serial ever i mean yes there where great movies about the ww2 but this shows not only the battle it shows the love between soldiers in war they ment each other everything

Croat
06-24-2007, 07:19 AM
What's the name of the title melody

overlord644
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM
What's the name of the title melody

if you look at the soundtrack its listed as "Main Titles (Instrumentals)", by michael kamen

Nickdfresh
07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I noticed the guy who played MAJ **** Winters is about to start a new American series on NBC called "Life."

AFARaider
07-14-2007, 10:16 AM
i always find listening to the title music , and the violin solo always leaves me with a lump in my throat.

Roger that! ! ! It is a very moving peice. . . Infact the whole series was very moving. . .It show's that people from all walks band together in times of stress, regardless of race, creed or religon, and do whats right at all costs. I would like to see a similar type series involving maybe some of the other military forces involved during the era.

Croat
07-15-2007, 10:54 AM
yeah they could make a series about other companys like the dog company or somethimg in the pacific and japan

ww2artist
09-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Awesome all the way!

bwing55543
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I think it would be good to make more TV serials like this based on a specific group of soldiers in WW2.

overlord644
09-02-2007, 11:18 PM
there will be a follow up series, in 2009, called The Pacific, needless to say its about the USMC, it'll be based off With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and another book, i'm not sure which, it'll cover Tarawa and Iwo Jima among others

ww2artist
09-03-2007, 03:38 AM
Now that will be worth waiting for although wish it wasn't so long.....haha

Croat
09-27-2007, 04:20 AM
That would be great

bwing55543
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
there will be a follow up series, in 2009, called The Pacific, needless to say its about the USMC, it'll be based off With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and another book, i'm not sure which, it'll cover Tarawa and Iwo Jima among others

It won't necessarily be about the USMC since the Army did have a presence there. The movie The Great Raid was about soldiers in the 6th Rangers in the Pacific.

overlord644
09-27-2007, 03:37 PM
the series wil be based off novels: Helmet for My Pillow, With the old breed and the experiences of a man named John Basilone all of which were written by or were Marines

Gracie
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I LOVED this movie... it took me two years to get my husband to settle down and watch it and now I can't watch it, because he ran off with it on deployment!! I can not tell you how great it is to watch a good movie and not have it RUINED by some cheesey damn love story! This is one of my top 5 favorites of all time, period, war movie and non war movie. The old vets, kill me... I can't take it, the crying I lose it every time.

cimot_cool
01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
This is the best WWII movie that I have ever seen. I could not stop watching it when I first bought it and still pop one in at least once a week. The detail of the uniforms, weapons and tactics on both sides were fantastic. Event the sound effects of the MG-42 was accurate based upon soldiers accounts. The character representations were wonderful and were true to the actual soldiers accounts. Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg shoud be proud of this one, it is even better than Saving Private Ryan. :cool: