PDA

View Full Version : Forum software upgrade

Procyon
10-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Hi,

I've upgraded the forum software to a more recent version. As usual, please let me know if there are any issues. Thanks!

Nickdfresh
10-17-2016, 11:36 AM
As we've corresponded via email, it seems I can log in (sort of) and post using the Advanced option, but cannot stay logged in and the Forum Home Page shows me as not logged in. But I can navigate as logged in using the "What's New?" tab. I can also only post via the "Go Advanced" option.....

Nickdfresh
10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Test...

Procyon
10-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Test from chrome

Procyon
10-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Can you try clearing your cache? I've tested on chrome and FF.

Rising Sun*
10-18-2016, 05:52 AM
Test...

I can't log in through usual log in page. I put in user name and password, click enter, and next screen tells me I'm not logged in and displays usual log in page.

I got here by clicking reply to Nick's quoted post after clicking edit on one of my previous posts, after preceding attempts to log in.

Rising Sun*
10-18-2016, 05:55 AM
I logged out after last post above and logged in again through top right log in panels, and it worked.

EDIT: I just tried replying to TG's last post, and couldn't get in with either top right log in panels or usual log in page.

I got here by using edit on this post.

I'm using Mozilla.

My cache is cleared and I've shut down and restarted (as distinct from just restarting) before this edit, with no improvement.

tankgeezer
10-18-2016, 07:22 AM
The only anomaly I have encountered is that after the usual log in, I have to refresh the page, it then shows me as being logged on. Using Google Chrome.

Nickdfresh
10-18-2016, 02:45 PM
I've got it, thanks. Cntrl+F5 worked on this end...

Nickdfresh
10-18-2016, 02:47 PM
test...

Nickdfresh
10-21-2016, 07:40 AM
I'm find the site to be difficult to navigate having to refresh to do anything logged in...

Churchill
10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm not having any problems, you lads must be weird or something. XD

Nickdfresh
10-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Well that goes without saying!

Churchill
10-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Bah, we're all weird.

Procyon
10-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Bah, we're all weird.

I just got what you experience. I logged in and then it showed me the login window. I'll investigate tomorrow - I can't today. I wonder if Cloudflare is being weird. I've turned it off for now. Let's see if that makes a difference.

Procyon
10-25-2016, 09:34 PM
I still think it is a local caching issue. I used a different browser that I don't use and it logged me in just fine.

tankgeezer
10-25-2016, 10:34 PM
Bah, we're all weird.

And Proudly so !!

Rising Sun*
11-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Just wasted half an hour losing a post which required me to log in after trying to post it from advanced, and then being told my pearls of wisdom were too short as they were fewer than 5 characters. Nobody would ever accuse me of posting less than 5 characters. ;) :D

This was on top of wasting time finding a way to log in when I kept getting a log in screen after each attempt, until I looked up top and saw that I was logged in.

I suspect that minimal posting in past few weeks is due to others experiencing these sorts of problems since last update, assuming they manage to log in to begin with.

tankgeezer
11-05-2016, 06:58 AM
You have to refresh your screen after sign in, then you're logged in. So push F5 after, and you should be good. I have to refresh every time I nav to another thread, or section. If you take too long to write a post, (according to the system anyway,) you'll be logged out. The best way to avoid this is to check the remember me box under the username box when signing in, otherwise you can copy what you write, and paste it in a new post. I've had to do that on occasion.

Rising Sun*
11-06-2016, 04:22 AM
You have to refresh your screen after sign in, then you're logged in. So push F5 after, and you should be good. I have to refresh every time I nav to another thread, or section. If you take too long to write a post, (according to the system anyway,) you'll be logged out. The best way to avoid this is to check the remember me box under the username box when signing in, otherwise you can copy what you write, and paste it in a new post. I've had to do that on occasion.

Thanks for that, but it's way too complicated and clumsy for any modern forum, particularly as there aren't any instructions for potential new members to log on to a site that presently makes the rotary dial telephone look like the pinnacle of human communications achievement.

We didn't have any of these problems before the last site upgrade (Gee, how different is that to most computer / software / internet upgrades, especially those brought to us by the cretins at Microsoft?).

I suggest that the site be reset to the previous version and more work be done on any future upgrade to make sure the site works at least as well as it did on the previous version.

tankgeezer
11-06-2016, 07:36 AM
It must be part of the upgrade package Procyon installed, some check box thing maybe. It is way clunky to navigate in this fashion, having to F5 every time I go from thing to thing, hoping it gets debugged soon.

Procyon
11-10-2016, 10:36 PM

This isn't normal behaviour. Can you clear your browser's cache? Ever since I did that, it works fine for me.

Rising Sun*
11-11-2016, 01:57 AM
This isn't normal behaviour. Can you clear your browser's cache? Ever since I did that, it works fine for me.

I clear my cache a few times a day. I've restarted. I've shut down for half an hour and rebooted. Nothing does anything to resolve the problem at my end.

I'm only logged in because I pressed F5 the second time the log in screen showed up after I'd already logged in, without being logged in by the system.

Rising Sun*
11-11-2016, 08:39 AM
I clear my cache a few times a day. I've restarted. I've shut down for half an hour and rebooted. Nothing does anything to resolve the problem at my end.

I'm only logged in because I pressed F5 the second time the log in screen showed up after I'd already logged in, without being logged in by the system.

This is going well.

When I look at any forum list there isn't the post that I just posted in another thread, but it was there a while ago.

Mate, whatever you've done to improve the forum, it isn't working.

Nickdfresh
11-11-2016, 09:30 AM

I've routinely cleared my cache and it still shows me alternately logged in and out regardless of computer or device, though I haven't tried it on my iPad...

Nickdfresh
11-11-2016, 09:32 AM
This is going well.

When I look at any forum list there isn't the post that I just posted in another thread, but it was there a while ago.

The other forum I mod there is talk of ditching vBulletin because they sort of suck...

Rising Sun*
11-12-2016, 05:52 AM
This is going well.

Now I see posts I made a day ago appearing, that I thought had failed.

This site is ****ed.

Rising Sun*
11-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Jesus wept!

Posted in another thread and my post appeared after posting.

Then I look on main menu and it's not there, nor is it when I go to thread.

Same with post I made in this thread saying the site is ****ed, which clearly it is.

If the intention is to finish off this site by making it almost impossible to post, it has been hugely successful.

If not, the result is going to be the same if the current problems aren't fixed.

tankgeezer
11-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Not sure if what I do is what you mean, but I use CC cleaner every day to clear out cookies, and detritus from my computer. My browser is also set to clear the Cache at shutdown, but I'll look in my computer for a dedicated clearing button, see if that helps. This all did begin when the new version was installed.

Nickdfresh
11-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Things seem to be running better, more consistently. But I still have to Refresh after logging in to show that I'm logged in. (And yes, I cleared everything in my browser)...

Rising Sun*
11-14-2016, 05:37 AM
When I click on What's New I get an outdated list of posts. I can see more recent posts only after logging in.

If others have the same problem, the site looks like nothing has happened for a few days.

tankgeezer
11-14-2016, 06:03 PM
If you refresh after navigating to a section you should get the most recent posts, I had the same trouble with new signups, didn't see any for days, then discovered I had to F5 everything. I've cleared the cache, done about everything, but still I have to refresh each time I log in, or navigate the site. Not a huge problem, but not as fluid as before. Using windows 7 with google Chrome.

Rising Sun*
11-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Using windows 7 with google Chrome.

I'm using Windows 10, which is a ****ing abortion of an operating system, with Mozilla.

Site is way too hard to navigate and is woeful even by standards of 15 years ago.

Might be time to bail out.

tankgeezer
11-15-2016, 11:18 PM
My Son uses 10, and it is a lot of hassle for him too. I've wisely stayed well away from it. will use 7 until something much better comes along. Agree that the site is troublesome to navigate, but for now, it's not so awful, so will stick it out till a patch is available.

tankgeezer
11-18-2016, 06:34 AM
The problem with having to continually refresh seems to have gone, I can navigate just as before this all began.

Nickdfresh
11-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Welp. Things seem to finally be working here, I can log in and actually post it seems... :)

tankgeezer
11-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Then all is well.

Nickdfresh
11-26-2016, 06:46 AM
For those having difficulty logging in, select the "Remember Me?" by checking the box before logging in. It makes all the difference for me...

tankgeezer
11-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Worked for me.

Procyon
11-28-2016, 02:44 PM
It should be fixed altogether now.

Rising Sun*
11-29-2016, 05:43 AM
It should be fixed altogether now.

It's not, as I still get endless login pages after logging in, but Nick's Remember Me system seems to work.

Procyon
11-30-2016, 07:52 PM
You're right...I could've sworn it was working. I tested it on my machine a few times.

Rising Sun*
12-09-2016, 04:23 AM
Interesting.

Due to a suspected virus on my new laptop, I've just switched to my about 10 year old Compaq laptop running Windows 7 instead of the piece of shit 6 month old ASUS laptop running the monumental piece of shit known as Windows 10 I've been using for the past 6 months or so.

None of the WWII in Color log on problems I mentioned previously have occurred on my first log on attempt on the site.

It is also the case that none of the problems I had trying to view posts previously occur on the old computer with Windows 7.

Maybe the problems are related to Windows 10?

EDIT: This post appeared with none of the problems I've had on the ASUS / Windows 10 laptop. Both are using the same dongle and ISP, so I suspect that the problems are partly or fully related to Windows 10, at least as far I'm concerned.

Nickdfresh
12-12-2016, 03:22 PM
The site is running fine and well for me now. No refresh nor checking boxes..

Nickdfresh
12-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Actually, I'm having some issues private messaging if I don't click on the "remember me" box...

Procyon
12-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Actually, I'm having some issues private messaging if I don't click on the "remember me" box...

Can you elaborate? Any errors?

Nickdfresh
12-22-2016, 05:46 AM
Everything is okay right now...

Procyon
12-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Ok, great! I've also switched to a different PHP accelerator and I think that made the site faster.

tankgeezer
12-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Pleased to hear it. :)

Rising Sun*
12-27-2016, 05:23 AM
Had problems with duplicate posts at #7 and #8 in this thread http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/15537-Be-of-Good-Cheer?p=197350

Worked normally until I hit Proceed button and then a Stay on site / Leave popup came up. I picked Stay on Site and after a delay on #7 duplicate it posted but on #8 duplicate it went out of site and I had to log in again, and it came up with #8 duplicate already highlighted and ready to click on mod tool.

Procyon
12-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry, I'm not quite following. Were you trying to delete a duplicate post?

Rising Sun*
12-28-2016, 04:18 AM
Sorry, I'm not quite following. Were you trying to delete a duplicate post?

The opposite.

The site posted twice on what should have been a single post and I deleted the duplicates. You should be able to see it as admin in the threads.

Procyon
12-28-2016, 02:32 PM
If I had to guess that was related to high server loads. We should have the high server loads under control now.

Chevan
08-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
Cookie

Just got this text, trying to open this thread (http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/15544-Which-branch-of-service-would-you-join?goto=newpost)
WTF it could be?

Rising Sun*
08-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Just got this text, trying to open this thread (http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/15544-Which-branch-of-service-would-you-join?goto=newpost)
WTF it could be?

Don't know, but your link is to my last post, which is genuine.

Maybe just a glitch in the WWII in Color site system.

Or maybe scammers have stolen your Lada and all your roubles while you've been posting here?

Don't worry. They won't get far in the Lada. And roubles don't buy much. :) :mrgreen:

Half-Track
08-18-2017, 07:32 AM
I am always logged in. Using an Apple iPad Pro with Safari iOS 10.3.3, I just click on my bookmark and I am on the forum.

Chevan
08-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Or maybe scammers have stolen your Lada and all your roubles while you've been posting here?

Don't worry. They won't get far in the Lada. And roubles don't buy much. :) :mrgreen:
scammers?;) That losers couldn't even start the engine of my Lada. The secret high-tech unique antiques of 60's;) No like the race-inferior ford or opel, whose immobilazer is opened by radio-scanner for few seconds

Rising Sun*
08-18-2017, 09:43 AM
scammers?;] That losers couldn't even start the engine of my Lada. The secret high-tech unique antiques of 60's;)

True. Nobody knows how to kick start a 500 cc car any more. Keys have been in use for quite a while in developed nations. ;) :D

Ah, 60's high-tech cars.

Germany's contribution, from the same people who brought us brilliant fighter planes in WWII and decided after the war to add wheels and motors to excess fighter plane cockpits, which makes it hard to believe that the Trabant came from the same general region of engineering excellence. :rolleyes: :oops:

https://muscleheaded.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/115.jpg

Not to mention Australia's great post-war contribution, from a company which previously made cement mixers and washing machines (and very good cement mixers and washing machines)

http://classiccarphotography.com.au/ccp-wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BW13_r260_01.jpg

with headlights based on Sabrina's contemporary tits.

http://nylon.net/sabrina/pix/G-P/sabrina-oz1959-1-lifesaver-whitepointers.jpg

scammers?;] No like the race-inferior ford or opel, whose immobilazer is opened by radio-scanner for few seconds

Nothing wrong with my Ford. Same as this one, without the leather interior. Old, fun, quick, and reliable. Just like me. :D

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/351seth/garage/2002-ford-falcon-option-20-220kw-xr8/photos/

Nickdfresh
08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Nothing wrong with my Opel either, other than the fact the company that rebadged them as a GM subsidiary went under shortly thereafter selling them as Saturn Astras...

tankgeezer
08-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Nothing wrong with my Opel either, other than the fact the company that rebadged them as a GM subsidiary went under shortly thereafter selling them as Saturn Astras...

At least you didn't get stuck with the Chevy Astro. (What a difference a letter makes...)

tankgeezer
08-18-2017, 04:58 PM
The washing machine car reminds me of this valiant automotive effort on the Part of Britain, the frisky.