View Full Version : Water canteen

Chunky
09-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi

What's your feelings on this canteen.

]6752675367546755

Nickdfresh
09-29-2013, 12:21 AM
It doesn't elicit much feeling. But definitely post-WWII, the webbing could be from the 1960's or 70's I think (aka The Vietnam Era)...

tankgeezer
09-29-2013, 09:58 AM
The words on the canteen are Dutch, and warn against heating the canteen. The BB 69 may be the max temperature (in Celsius) the bottle can stand, or a MFG code. It looks like the U.S. bottle, but not exactly, so it may have been produced under license, by the Netherlands, or by contract for them. The pics show a U.S. bottle, and its markings.

Chunky
09-29-2013, 10:26 AM
It doesn't elicit much feeling. But definitely post-WWII, the webbing could be from the 1960's or 70's I think (aka The Vietnam Era)...

Hi Nickdfresh

Probably used the wrong words "whats your feelings on this:rolleyes:", it is a Dutch issue, but I think the plastic canteen was used by the American soldiers, post WW2, I give a pound for it, at a arms fair, about a month ago.

Chunky

Chunky
09-29-2013, 10:35 AM
The words on the canteen are Dutch, and warn against heating the canteen. The BB 69 may be the max temperature (in Celsius) the bottle can stand, or a MFG code. It looks like the U.S. bottle, but not exactly, so it may have been produced under license, by the Netherlands, or by contract for them. The pics show a U.S. bottle, and its markings.

Hi tankgeezer, yes the words mean roughly "no hot water", on the two releasy studs/clasps, it has "KNIP HIER" LIFT HEAR?, nice photos of your canteen, I would be happy with having that writing on mine, at least yours was used by the Americans. Chunky

tankgeezer
09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
"Knip" has alot of meanings in my trans matrix, but two of them are "snap", and "fasten" . You have a nice canteen there, do you have the metal cup that goes with it ?

Chunky
09-29-2013, 02:44 PM
"Knip" has alot of meanings in my trans matrix, but two of them are "snap", and "fasten" . You have a nice canteen there, do you have the metal cup that goes with it ?

Afraid that's all I got, didn't think a cup would have came with it, are there any photos of one.

tankgeezer
09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
The cup was originally issued with the metal canteen, and continued on when the plastic version came along. You can probably find one on ebay, or some other site that sells such things.

Chunky
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
The cup was originally issued with the metal canteen, and continued on when the plastic version came along. You can probably find one on ebay, or some other site that sells such things.

Got to ask, would there have been a moulding shape at the bottom of the plastic bottle, that the cup would have sat in, then making it flush, as I can only see a strait trim to the bottle I have.

tankgeezer
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
The cup is shaped to allow the bottle to sit down in it, and both then fit inside the canvas carrier. I don't recall there being any former in the carrier to receive the cup.The cup handle folds up around the underside until needed The cup fits snug enough in the carrier to keep it from accidentally coming along when the bottle is drawn out.

Chunky
10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you tankgeezer, now I know it sits at the bottom of the bottle, I will try and get one. Chunky

bltjr1951
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM
it is a Dutch issue, but I think the plastic canteen was used by the American soldiers, post WW2,

The USGI plastic canteen replaced metal ones back in 1962.

But the Canadians also used plastic canteens and they look just like USGI.
Easy to get confused, but Canada has white canteens too, US doesn't.

I got a brand new, mint 1945 canteen set in the 60s, Air Force was getting rid of them and my uncle picked up some.

Chunky
03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi bltjr1951

It would b e great to see photos of you canteen.

Chunky

Kilroy
03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I not completely sure but it doesn't seem like a American canteen. Now i can be wrong but I have two canteens from the 40's and they are both metal. One from both theaters of the war. I think your right about it being dutch but I think the dutch actually used it. then again I can be wrong but this is what I though about it.

AikeUSA
03-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Us Vietnam war canteen

Kilroy
03-21-2014, 12:11 PM
The canteen may be the the outer part is for sure ww2

AikeUSA
03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
No it's Vietnam era

Kilroy
03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Well the canteen can be from from the Vietnam war but the outer case has to be from ww2 originally

AikeUSA
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
No it's a US militaria forum.

Chunky
03-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Thank you guys on your help on this

Kilroy
03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Your welcome

bltjr1951
03-24-2014, 06:03 AM
The US doesn't buy or issue gear made by other countries.
(Except for WW2 when some web gear was made in England and marked US.)

So a US grunt in vietnam wouldn't have a Dutch canteen issued to him.
The pic of cover doesn't show makers mark on back either.

USMC was still using WW2 web gear in vietnam big time.

There's several sites showing US gear from WW1 to now.

http://www.vietnamgear.com/equipment.aspx

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ww2webgear.php

AikeUSA
03-24-2014, 04:19 PM
The US copied the Dutch canteen. So maybe it's Made in the Netherlands for te US.

AikeUSA
03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Don't forget 50% of the US Vietnam soldiers weared a m1910 canteen and the other ones a newer model.

bltjr1951
03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
The US copied the Dutch canteen. So maybe it's Made in the Netherlands for te US.

You are very ignorant or a troll.

I'm done posting.

AikeUSA
03-25-2014, 01:24 AM
You are very ignorant I'm only right.

MOD EDIT: banned for antagonizing and complete lack of quality of posting...

JR*
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm glad I Know Nothing. Even if I am not from Barcelona ... Yours from the Distressed Zone, JR.

Kilroy
03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but ( it involves AikeUSA) I was wondering two things. Does anyone (by chance) know what his deal was and how often do you get users like that? (sorry if this was against any rules I figure that the quickest answer to this would be here.)

bltjr1951
03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
I know I said done posting, but...

I wish he had posted some valid links.

Why would a soldier be issued gear with gibberish on it, when his army has millions of their own gear.

Plus the Dutch weren't in Vietnam war?

If you've got a USGI canteen, metal or plastic, it will have "US" on it somewhere.
The plastic ones have, in English, a warning about heat.

tankgeezer
03-31-2014, 11:18 PM
The Canteen pictured in this thread is not a U.S. Canteen, its not even a close copy. It may fit in a U.S. canteen cup, and cover, but its not U.S. Gov't issue. This is the real McCoy. (You did right by sticking around, idiots will come, and go around here, just ignore them, and continue to contribute good information. )

Nickdfresh
04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
I wanna make jokes about Dutch canteens doubling as a bong, but I won't... :mrgreen:

tankgeezer
04-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I had always thought that their gas masks were for entertainment, as at the time, they were allowed beards, which made the mask pretty much useless for anything else. (the Devil made me do it) :D

Kilroy
04-01-2014, 01:29 PM
well i knew that the cover and that outer shelling part (which could be used for bowl things) was World War 2 because I have that same model.

bltjr1951
04-01-2014, 02:37 PM
that outer shelling part (which could be used for bowl things) was World War 2 because I have that same model.

"Bowl things"?
"Same model"?

Could you explain?

The cover looks like a USGI unmounted M-1910, but it doesn't have any makers mark on back, unless its under one of the flaps.
With that big wide hook holder, could be from 1945 to 1950s mfg.

The olive drab link I posted should explain any questions about US web gear you could ask.

tankgeezer
04-02-2014, 01:21 AM
I believe by outer shell he means the Canteen cup. (unless Kilroy, "Bowl" means something else to you. ) ;)

Kilroy
04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
I believe by outer shell he means the Canteen cup. (unless Kilroy, "Bowl" means something else to you. ) ;)

ya I meant canteen cup I was having a slow day

bltjr1951
04-02-2014, 04:04 PM

But the OP didn't show a canteen cup?

I've got a canteen cup that looks like one posted, but it was made in 1951, so its not WW2.

Plus the "KNIP HIER" on the fasteners doesn't sound US either.

tankgeezer
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Its all good Kilroy, :) The thing is that Canteens, and their cups, and covers have not changed all that much since WW I aside from the Alice cover which while being made from some other material still clings to the original cover's basic design. Some pics from the net. From Left: WW I set, set used since before I was in the Army. (Note Cup is the same config.) then the modern "Alice" set, same canteen, butterfly type cup, and shiny nylon cover. first showing up in the later 60's.(although the one I had was the same as image #2) lastly details of the Cup showing the underfolding latch handle with slot for stringing on the mess kit latch along with utensils for easy(er) cleaning in the field. Canteens really have not changed all that much in the past 100 yrs. One thing I can tell you is that the metal one doesn't add a taste to the water, but the plastic one definitely will. Very unpleasant. Even though the MFG dates dont work, its may still be the very same pattern, or model.

bltjr1951
04-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Note the rolled lip on cup in pic one.
I've got one, 1918 mfg.

If you see a cup without two slots in handle, its a clone (Rothco).
Clones don't work with US gear, cup won't fit canteen, etc.

Every army had their idea of a canteen.
Some had cups on top of canteen, some no cup.
I've got a Soviet canteen that comes with a cup and a pot that all nest together.
Also have a German canteen with cups on top and bottom.

Amazing that Korea can make all the WW2 web gear and make it look perfect.
A few US makers can make some good repros too.
I got a bat wing (dog ear) cover from one guy, looks real USMC.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mUR1Yp3FZYoujHIh9hnSQRQ.jpg

tankgeezer
04-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Your eyes are better than my aged orbs,, I didn't notice the full bead on the WW I cup. Most astute.

bltjr1951
04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
If you really want some info on US mess gear, this link will take you to a site to download a pdf of great pics and info:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/messkits/messkit.html

BTW, one of my very first canteens has a metal cap, but its a 1944 canteen.
Placed in the 1918 cup and it looks like a WW1 set in pic.

And no, my eyes aren't that sharp, just knowledge about canteens.

manfredbaumann
06-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Good thing bout stainless canteen is u can put it right in Fire ta boil water