PDA

View Full Version : Officer cadet initiative test lives on in Germany

Rising Sun*
06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct4wwmK9aOA

tankgeezer
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
If my experience with 2nd Lieutenants in the Army was any manner of indicator, these gentlemen would be the successful candidates.;)

flamethrowerguy
06-18-2010, 05:23 PM
After seeing this I don't think it would be a good idea to reduce the basic military service to 6 months as planned.
Best thing in the video are the bystanders - they're cracking up.:D

pdf27
06-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Been there, done that exercise, never cocked up that badly :p

Rising Sun*
06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
On reviewing the video, around 1 min 05 seconds it looks like a bloke is about to make it when the bloke (?instructor? - hardly part of the team) to right of screen kicks the board out.

Rising Sun*
06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
On reviewing it again, the last attempt in the video might involve bloke sitting on platform on left of screen being pushed off. Hard to tell.

navyson
06-19-2010, 10:25 AM
:lol:
I liked the guy trying to cross on two knotted ropes, then face planting and hanging upside down with his head underwater.:mrgreen:

muscogeemike
01-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I heard or read a tale of the OSS in the early days (for the US) of WWII. They blindfold potential recruits lead them up some stairs, told them they were on the edge of a drop and to step off. Those that did were allowed to continue, those that refused were tagged for leadership.

skorzeny57
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Post-war blindfold training for fire crews in Germany. These four firemen are being trained to follow the sound of a gong, in order to get their bearings in low-visibility situations. Three seem certain to pass the test; one looks set to fail...

Rising Sun*
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Post-war blindfold training for fire crews in Germany. These four firemen are being trained to follow the sound of a gong, in order to get their bearings in low-visibility situations. Three seem certain to pass the test; one looks set to fail...

I dunno.

If the bloke with the gong is stupid enough to be in the fire, the bloke marching out of the picture to the left has the right idea. ;) :D

Anyway, all the gongees look like they're auditioning for a zombie movie.

skorzeny57
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun*, your uncorrectability is boundless... The most part of your posts, like the one above, always make me laugh... :D Anyway, all of them included the gong player may have a future in the Horror Movies...

ps - what is a "parnsip"? I can't find it on the English Dictionary. It sounds like something that hasn't a good taste...

tankgeezer
04-30-2011, 02:58 PM
A parsnip is kind of a large white carrot, a root vegetable which is good as an ingredient in root soup (very tasty) And despite several characteristics in common, should not be mistaken for a U.S. Congressman, or Senator. (the parsnip is much more useful)

skorzeny57
05-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Anyway, all the gongees look like they're auditioning for a zombie movie.

Another post-war blindfold training. This time are British fire crews. The British firemen are pratcising feeling their way in total darkness while wearing respirators. Any (funny) comment, Mr. Rising Sun*? ;) :)

Rising Sun*
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Another post-war blindfold training. This time are British fire crews. The British firemen are pratcising feeling their way in total darkness while wearing respirators. Any (funny) comment, Mr. Rising Sun*? ;) :)

As in WWII, the Germans have better uniforms; are better coordinated; and look more frightening than the British.

Also, courtesy of the Marshall Plan, the Germans are able to afford a hammer to guide their firemen while the bankrupt British have to guess where the fire or exit is.

Nickdfresh
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
It's like the cover of Abby Road (if the Beatles were wearing hoods over their respirators)...